The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy a 6pack of Moose Drool every once in awhile, but i've never had anything else from Big Sky Brewing. Worth keeping an eye out for?

Tonight I had

3244726173_2410afd635.jpg

and

3416264703_5085db64b7.jpg

The Winter Warlock was pretty good, but nothing about it stood out from any other mid level oatmeal stout. Not bad by any means, but not spectacular. I'd still definitely recommend giving it a try though if you like oatmeal stouts.

It was my second time having Modus Hoperandi, and it's still weird drinking a well crafted beer out of a can. Its a pretty good IPA though, but i'm not the biggest IPA fan, so someone else could probably give a much better review.

I'm slowly starting to tolerate more and more pale ales, and there are a few that i really enjoy like Stone's Ruination. I still don't like having more than 1 or 2 at once, but my palate for them is definitely growing and i'm starting to appreciate them more.

Ruination IPA from Stone Brewery. It was the first pale ale that i can honestly say i loved, even though it isn't a weak pale ale by any stretch of the imagination. I was really skeptical when i bought it, but it is great. That may have been the pale ale that made me realize i needed to continue trying them occasionally to learn to enjoy other pale ales.

Ruination IPA from Stone Brewery. It was the first pale ale that i can honestly say i loved, even though it isn't a weak pale ale by any stretch of the imagination. I was really skeptical when i bought it, but it is great. That may have been the pale ale that made me realize i needed to continue trying them occasionally to learn to enjoy other pale ales.

Stone Ruination is great if you already love hops, but it's by no means an "intro" pale ale, considering it's an imperial IPA anyway and is not a good representation of american pale ale, being blisteringly bitter, high in alcohol, etc... how about something a little easier going like sierra nevada, widmer drifter, smuttynose shoals pale, of stone pale ale.

60 minute is a good starter IPA

Smuttynose IPA is pretty good too.

If you are just getting introduced to them, I'd agree with somethinglikethat and start on less hoppy beers. You might overpower your pallet with the bitter bouquet those imperial ipa's are likely to give.

The other night I thought I had a come up on some 90 minute for stupid cheap.

My girlfriend and I went to dinner at a local restaurant and they had "DogFish Head IPA" listed on the menu for $4.50. I asked whether it was 60 or 90 minute. The waiter said it was 90. I ordered that and proceeded to warn the girlfriend that I was bout to get trashed if they were honestly selling 90 minute for 4.5, let alone pints of it.

I was psyched.

Got the pint, immediately was suspicious because of the somewhat lacking depth to the color of the body. Tried a sip and was sorely disappointed. The waiter just didn't know what he was talking about. Totally 60 minute. I was pissed because of his overall attitude and the seeming inability to just tell me "you know, im not sure which one it is. let me ask." Rather than assuming that I likely wouldn't know the difference. Just cus I'm young does not mean I don't take pride in the things I choose to learn or care about. Dick.

Oh well. Every once in a while I find cheap ass pints of beers that should be much more expensive. This was not one of those times.

Stone Ruination is great if you already love hops, but it's by no means an "intro" pale ale, considering it's an imperial IPA anyway and is not a good representation of american pale ale, being blisteringly bitter, high in alcohol, etc...

Oh, i'm very aware its hoppy as hell, strong and bitter, but its so well done that i can't really see any serious beer drinker disliking it. As i said, it was the first pale ale i really enjoyed, and i'm still just starting to tolerate most.

• Like 1