4/11/08 Maintenance Discussion Thread

wanga

As mentioned in the announcement, tonight marks the beginning of a round of upgrades to be performed to the 12oz servers. Feel free to suggest/ask/discuss.

we'll be performing the first round of upgrades to our server cluster today starting 5PM EST today. We're scheduling a maintenance window for this site between 7:01PM EDT and 8:59PM EDT. You may notice a brief 15 minute outage during the beginning of the maintenance window and a few short outages thereafter.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seffiks, I have nothing to do with how the upgrades are being paid for, nor do I know how they're funded. Misteraven is purchasing the hardware I'm taking care of the rest. As far as what V.I.P.'s have access to on the site, this is another thing I have no control over, I typically work in the background making sure the servers stay up and running, although recently I've gotten a little more involved.

Physically all the servers are 2U's.

A rack unit is a unit of measure used to describe the height of a server, network switch or other similar device mounted in a 19-inch rack or a 23-inch rack (refers to width of rack). One rack unit is 44.45 mm (1.75 in) high.

One rack unit is commonly designated as "1U"; similarly, 2 rack units are "2U" and so on. The size of a piece of rack mounted equipment is usually described as a number in "U". One rack unit is also sometimes referred to as "1RU"; most server racks have 42 U of height.

I've attached a picture showing a server just like ours.

20060802142235373.jpg

20060802142235373.jpg.c254294c974ff0ec1a0df4303e14cb25.jpg

Yep, it's been a long time comin'.

My personal goal is to get a radio station going by this summer.

i want on the list of dj's if that's possible.

(put in a good word for me, i'll send you some homebrew)

irc ever a reality? close?

crossing my fingers that all goes well for the additions, etc.

p.s.: what's the size of the database now?

I'll tell you what casek, If the upgrade goes well today, I'll setup an IRC server tomorrow. Or maybe if I have some free time at work today, I'll set one up.

CALIgula: I'll discuss the logistics of a station with Misteraven today.

i want on the list of dj's if that's possible.

(put in a good word for me, i'll send you some homebrew)

irc ever a reality? close?

crossing my fingers that all goes well for the additions, etc.

p.s.: what's the size of the database now?

i second IRC chat, i think that'd be great for a site like this with a lot of members that obviously have a lot of fun with eachother. i think if the idea for an IRC chat that'll be self contained on the 12oz servers can't be done, that we just make it on efnet, or another public IRC server.

if a radio station is possible, i think the idea to give specific dudes shows is a great idea, too.

i'm not sure if you're familiar with unixpunx.org (been dead for years), but awhile back they had a HUGE catalog of non RIAA protected music, mostly punk, but a lot of hip hop too that was fully requestable on a web application they had written. with the exception of new members queuing 25 casualties songs in a row, the radio worked great. but there would be an easy way to get around that if something can be written to block whatever IP address if whatever number of songs are queued. if there'd be any blockade, i think it would be riaa protection and how it translates over to radio. i'm not sure of the laws protecting that, but i would say if anything would threaten the existence of the radio, it'd be that.

i hope i'm not getting too far ahead of what's going on, but it was an extremely useful implementation that brought a lot of traffic to unixpunx, i'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but hey. food for thought.

i second IRC chat, i think that'd be great for a site like this with a lot of members that obviously have a lot of fun with eachother. i think if the idea for an IRC chat that'll be self contained on the 12oz servers can't be done, that we just make it on efnet, or another public IRC server.

if a radio station is possible, i think the idea to give specific dudes shows is a great idea, too.

i'm not sure if you're familiar with unixpunx.org (been dead for years), but awhile back they had a HUGE catalog of non RIAA protected music, mostly punk, but a lot of hip hop too that was fully requestable on a web application they had written. with the exception of new members queuing 25 casualties songs in a row, the radio worked great. but there would be an easy way to get around that if something can be written to block whatever IP address if whatever number of songs are queued. if there'd be any blockade, i think it would be riaa protection and how it translates over to radio. i'm not sure of the laws protecting that, but i would say if anything would threaten the existence of the radio, it'd be that.

i hope i'm not getting too far ahead of what's going on, but it was an extremely useful implementation that brought a lot of traffic to unixpunx, i'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but hey. food for thought.

They used SAM Broadcaster, it's easily done.

Radio station can go live this summer if all goes ok.

IRC in 48hours or so.

I'll tell you what casek, If the upgrade goes well today, I'll setup an IRC server tomorrow. Or maybe if I have some free time at work today, I'll set one up.

CALIgula: I'll discuss the logistics of a station with Misteraven today.

dude! thanks so much wanga. i woe you some beer. when i get this australian pale ale done (and if it goes well) i'll send a pack your way.

We're getting IRC? Cool.

Will each forum have a channel (i.e. #Channel_Zero, #Brickslayers, and so on) or is it going to be one big free for all (#12oz)?

i hope its like that, but then again, most of the brickslayer kids are too dumb to know how to use IRC anyways

I was thinking if you're setting up an IRC server, creating several channels early on makes more sense.

The other thing is....who's gonna be admin/op? IRC needs even more moderation than a forum, because it's in real time and people can run scripts, etc.