is it any surprise australia kills it in the olympic pool?

Abracadabra

Second fisherman rescued after man's marathon swim

Neil Hickey and Greg Stolz

February 28, 2008 12:35pm

A SECOND fisherman lost at sea after his trawler capsized off the coast of northern New South Wales has been found alive this morning.

In a miraculous tale of survival, Yamba man John Jarratt was found just after 7am today by an Emergency Management Queensland rescue helicopter about five nautical miles off the coast of Lennox Heads at Seven Mile Beach.

He had spent 30 hours floating in shark-infested waters, kept alive only by clinging to an esky.

The vessel, Sea Rogue, is believed to have sunk within two minutes, when its netting became entangled on the reef.

A spokeswoman said searchers found a line of debris in the area and followed it all the way until they located the man before winching him to safety.

Queensland Rescue spokesman Andy Christie said he had spoken to the helicopter crew who found him.

"The crew said that he was talking, he was conscious - physically appeared to be okay ... but they were quick to point out that he had spent a very cold night in the water," he told Sky News.

Trawler skipper Charlie Picton was still missing.

Mr Jarratt was said to be in a stable condition and recovering in Ballina Hospital where he was being hydrated.

Relatives and friends, including his daughter and sisters, have gathered at Ballina Hospital.

"He is talking to police and rescue crews at the moment, the spokeswoman said.

"From his condition he seems to be stable."

The spokeswoman said the sailor was helping authorities to rescue the third man lost at sea.

Four rescue helicopters and three fixed wing aircraft are now circling the area in the search for the final missing man.

The rescue this morning is the second amazing story of survival after a third fisherman swam for 12 hours yesterday to raise the alarm.

Michael Williams, a 39-year-old Yamba man, emerged from the ocean on the brink of exhaustion about 3pm at New Brighton, a small beach about 20km north of Byron Bay, some 12 hours after the 60-foot boat sank.

New Brighton resident John Gort found the fisherman covered in blood on the sand while he was out walking his dog about 3pm.

"There was blood all over the sand and on his legs, he said.

"He was exhausted but he was smiling and he was just glad to be alive.

Visiting her son in Mullumbimby Hospital this morning, Fay Williams said Michael was "faring pretty well", but under sedation after his ordeal.

She said he was upset that his friend Mr Picton still had not been found.

Mrs Williams said her son was a survivor, having swum a long distance to shore just before Christmas after being injured in a kite surfing accident.

"He is very strong, he has wonderful survival skills."

Sea Rogue's Sydney-based owner Craig Boland had been comforting Mr Picton's parents in Yamba and then rushed to Mullumbimby Hospital to visit Mr Williams.

Mr Boland said he did not care what happened to the boat. "I just want Charlie found," he said.

He described Mr Picton's effort in swimming for 10 hours to raise the alarm after the trawler capsized as "amazing".

"I couldn't do it - could any of you guys do it?" he said outside Mullumbimby Hospital.

Mr Boland said Mr Williams would remain under sedation in hospital for several days.

this-is-sparta-7.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
what a fucking machine! i couldnt swim 20m in 12 minutes and this fellas done 20kms over 12 hours.

give him the gold, his mate gets silver and mr picton will have to settle for the bronze....

You couldn't swim 20m in 12 minutes? Are you a para/quadraplegic? Are you missing legs and/or arms?

I know you're really exaggerating, but come on, try a bit harder to make it seem realistic...

You couldn't swim 20m in 12 minutes? Are you a para/quadraplegic? Are you missing legs and/or arms?

I know you're really exaggerating, but come on, try a bit harder to make it seem realistic...

Ok next time i promise to pm you so i can run my keyboard humour past you before i post it on this oh so serious comedy forum...:dozey: