Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

to move the thread along i present,

just for some back ground here. to put up some important work that laid the foundations for many of the things people in here do.

whether you recognize it or not.

Mark Rothko.:

rothko-a.jpg

One of the preeminent artists of his generation, Mark Rothko is closely identified with the New York School, a circle of painters that emerged during the 1940s as a new collective voice in American art. During a career that spanned five decades, he created a new and impassioned form of abstract painting. Rothko's work is characterized by rigorous attention to formal elements such as color, shape, balance, depth, composition, and scale; yet, he refused to consider his paintings solely in these terms. He explained: It is a widely accepted notion among painters that it does not matter what one paints as long as it is well painted. This is the essence of academicism. There is no such thing as good painting about nothing.

Early works. Focus on Greek Mythology and a slow breaking of tradition with forms of symbolic representation.

a00014c9seafantasy46.jpg

a0000991.jpg

28.jpg

A turn towards stronger abstraction:

1986-43-120.jpg

34.jpg

"We favor the simple expression of the complex thought. We are for the large shape because it has the impact of the unequivocal. We wish to reassert the picture plane. We are for flat forms because they destroy illusion and reveal truth." By 1947 Rothko had virtually eliminated all elements of surrealism or mythic imagery from his works, and nonobjective compositions of indeterminate shapes emerged.

The classic period. (These thigns are amazing to see in person. I had only seen the ones in the Rothko Chapel for a period of time, but the Menill Collection ended up putting one or two of his big ones out on display and they are stunning.)

48.jpg

54.jpg

For scale of how large many of these are:

elkanstudio.jpg

20_rothko_room_neu.jpg

57.jpg

47.jpg

16_rothko_lg.jpg

Later works: (Go to the Rothko chapel if you ever have a chance. Photos do not do it justice.)

CHRON.15.jpg

Rothko in his 69th Street studio with Rothko Chapel murals, c. 1964, © Hans Namuth Estate, courtesy Center for Creative Photography, The University of Arizona

Rothko%2002.tif%20for%20emailing.jpg

101.jpg

Rothko's reading of Nietzsche, the nineteenth-century German philosopher, suggests that his compositions could represent the binary opposition between a rational or abstract element versus an emotional, primal, or tragic one (referring to Nietzsche's discussion of the polarity between an Apollonian and a Dionysian principle in artistic expression). Certain qualities such as radiance or the duality of light and dark have a long history of symbolic meaning in Western culture from which Rothko clearly drew. An impression of vast space can be said to represent the historical concept of the "sublime," a quasi-religious experience of limitless immensity in nature. Conversely, these canvases also produce an environment of their own, and installations of Rothko's work create the sensation of a sacrosanct place.

113.jpg

namuthcolor.jpg

Physically ill and suffering from depression, Rothko committed suicide on February 25, 1970. At the time of his death, he was widely recognized in Europe and America for his crucial role in the development of nonrepresentational art. His vibrant, disembodied veils of color asserted the power of nonobjective painting to convey strong emotional or spiritual content. With an unwavering commitment to a singular artistic vision, Rothko celebrated the near mythic power art holds over the creative imagination.

Referrences:

Google search: "rothko"

National Gallery of Art

Most of the time I can't really dig abstracts done by mainstream or established artists. I can appreciate those as much as anything else I look at and like. Looks like Nitsche knows as much about the basic study of line and color as much as a good writer does. Makes me want to try abstracts if I can ever get off the computer.

ive been working on realism for the last few years

and i found that i cant do abstract worth shit.

unless it was like that one artist that paints like huge realistic apples in a landscape.

im also really horrible at remembering artist names and titles of songs.

well i come from a mostly comic/animation style background. heavy on line drawings.

alot of animals, monsters, and landscapes.

ive always avoided drawing people. in terms of graffiti my letters always ended up looking

like organic characters that really weren't character or letters so i gave up

and now fall into the character writer category.

so now ive been mostly just working on realistic portraits, as well as ones that still show that it

comes from aerosol. i use photographs for sources so often that find i don't really paint my own

stuff. faces are my biggest weak point so im trying to change that.

i really like the mac's stuff as well as tasso and maclaime's stuff. i just need to try and learn to paint smaller. canvas sized stuff.

i dont want to start a new thread since i dont have a good track record of keeping threads going so let me see if i have a few somewhere.

i HATE the early rothko stuff. same with newmans. i suppose it had its place in developing their later styles, but shit holds absolutely nothing for me, and almost annoys me with how wack i think it is. truth be told though, i really dont love rothko all that much. i really like the chapel, and occasionally he'll have paintings that i like, but im kinda like....'really, how many stripes can you paint, before you're just redoing the same painting in different 'colorways'?'. after the first couple, it becomes more of a study in color theory, than art. atleast for me. the thing that seperates newmans work from falling into that, is A. theres a shit ton less, so it cant be as derivative, but also he played wiht space and distance and form a whole lot more. blah, blah, blah, im late for work, sitting in the bathtub. about to brush my teeth, listening to headphones. that's abstract, bitches.

well i smoked a lil abstract and here is my response:

(I agree about the earlier works) However his art overall is some of my absolute favorite.

Rothko had a retort to the concern that his work became formulaic color studies . I can't find it right now, but it goes something like this:

He was not concerned with the study of color, but the evocation of human emotion through the experience of viewing his art.

Here is what I think is an ok argument for his response.

Do you think there are shades of emotion? Degrees of similarity and difference between the experiences of your life?

Is not color the same way? Cannot the logic of difference we use in day to day life be the same logic of color? If things are similar but still logically independent they can be arranged, and compared to each other. Just like the composition of the color wheel itself. If Rothko believed he was focusing on the interaction of color as a translation of human emotion, the formula was the thing of utmost importance.

The consistency through which one creates a range of associated data is through good experimental procedure. So to the abstract expressionist who values the destruction of form through some other consistency in their work takes the higher value. That his works reached such a level of consistency but were unique in each of their executions and evoking a different aesthetic experience when you view each one, is stunning.

Each piece is a new experience given to you by the difference in the variables of the consistent application he found to present a certain range of experiences in human emotion.

Color study if you want. Brilliant if you look at it further.

Take some Mondrian for example. Would you take his works in the same fashion as the late Rothko?

I'm into this gluten free cinnamon raisin toast with dairy free butter right now... way abstract. Some next level nothingness far beyond everything.

Haven't been in here for a long while but there is definitely some interesting stuff being posted. Hopefully I'll have time to contribute one of these days. Bike racing is a bitch...

I really like that first one.

I think if you were to try to make that one a painting you should take your last progression you showed us as a lesson on this one.

Flat colors. Good mono or duochromatic background. Strong black linework.

that second sketch is pretty awesome.