Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
bumping this, just because of all the symbols on this dudes name...

Yeah. I know that just because I'm majoring in philosophy it doesn't make me an absolute authority, but what's going on with that page is all sorts of crap. It treats art as some form that's adherent to some inherent and common definition, while it's just some odd character forcing some objective stance on it. I'm all for using philosophy as a tool for understanding and exercising one's reason, but dumping high flying terms on everything that exists is just a complete waste of time. I realize there's a place for criticism in art in terms of historical context and its relationship to culture, etc. but to explain and define in such a particularly obtuse way just ends up moving everyone away from the initial point of looking at art in the first place.

I am pretty sure I wrote that, Poesia posted an art blog link, partly with me in mind, and I think that was my response.

It seems like a few posts got put through Harpo's name that were from a few other members.

Or I am just wishing I had said what Harpo wrote, and I had no idea we were both philosophy majors. If that be the case, well done Harpo for being more well spoken about our field than I am the majority of the time.

these are really nice. I can totally feel the looseness in each stroke it seems like you were really throwing that ballpoint around but just hitting each line just right

the reason this has an abstract feel is because it has an unfinished feel. keep it that way the curved lines and straight line marks give it flow

the.crooked,

The Harpo name stopped working for some reason unbeknownst to me. In any case, yeah I'm doing an undergrad in philo. and I posted that comment.

Word.

Like I said, I was surprised I could say something so concise. Lulz.

What area are you studying? From the practicality of your post I'd guess something analytic?

sounds like someones writing a paper ??

My 2 word answer is entertainment and distraction.

Im in the middle of my own paper so sorry for the short answer.

:)

not writing a paper, just curious what people think. entertainment and distraction is pretty shallow, don't you think? an art based on these surely would manifest itself as advertising.there are some good adverts though.

Communication of complex thoughts that cannot be expressed through language. - Mercer, 2009

true, but that could be true for the art of any era. i was asking about todays society.

That Joker looks like a freedom to leave the comfort of the throne and reinvent in the unknown chaos piece.

There is no change in the role of art today as opposed to yesterday.

The methods and messages constantly change but the role stays the same.

A movie producer or Neolithic cave painter may be saying different things, through different methods, but the role of art is the same.

T;6352454']This weekend.

Not to be corny, but I'm glad you're still painting. I've always appreciated your style, and shit like that is needed today. I remember when I first saw your work, it was when 12oz magazine first came out.

100_1167.jpg

100_1168.jpg

100_1169.jpg

I had never really seen anything like that before then, and it got me psyched. I mean the mid 90's were full of so many sick styles, but I was pretty secluded from everything being in RI. I mean, I saw a ton of solid talent come and localized style from that area, but outside of that I was clueless until I started picking up magazines. I was amped on both you and joker's flicks actually.

100_1170.jpg

100_1175.jpg

It just wasn't a style I had seen a lot of until then.

Another dude from the magazine, who's flick I liked, was SPACE:

100_1210.jpg