the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Someone please answer me this:

Why is it that we are only supposed to be able to pack on 5-10 pounds of muscle a year

via weight training but folks fresh out of basic training (which is 12 or 16 weeks?) come out looking muscular?

I don't get it.

For me it was 12 weeks it can be longer depending on your job. Work out 2 times (mostly cardio and calisthenics) a day for 5 days a week. Some people are allowed weight training others are not its up to the drill sergeants. I think the biggest reason may be because of the diet. They strictly enforce 3 meals a day and you HAVE to finish everything on your tray and you are never allowed any cake. pie or any other desert.

BARBELL COMPLEXES!

Holy shit! Those just annihilated me at the gym today after doing deadlifts.

First time doing them and ONLY with the barbell. I did 3 sets similar to this...

What was the big difference between the deadlifts and the RDLs at the end. I noticed there was not as much bend in the knees for the RDL's, other than that Im missing what the difference is.

Why is it that we are only supposed to be able to pack on 5-10 pounds of muscle a year

via weight training but folks fresh out of basic training (which is 12 or 16 weeks?) come out looking muscular?

I don't get it.

IF YOU'RE SKINNY AND ONLY GAINING 5 LBS PER YEAR. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. ALOT OF PEOPLE GAIN 30-40 EVEN 50 LBS IN THEIR FIRST YEAR OF WEIGHTLIFTING. OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN'T KEEP UP THAT UP FOREVER THOUGH OR EVERYONE WOULD WEIGH 300 LBS AFTER A FEW YEARS.

RDL'S ARE LIKE A STRAIGHT LEG DEADLIFT EXCEPT YOU KEEP THE BARBELL AGAINST YOUR LEGS AND PUSH YOUR HIPS BACK AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND ON THE REVERSE YOU EXTEND YOUR HIPS FORWARD AND FLEX YOUR HAMS AND GLUTES.

I don't get it.

probably mostly to do with body fat percentage dropping... Hence looking more "jacked"

but also probably has a lot to do with dudes with no muscle at all and never doing chins, etc at all before

I think gaining weight is largely genetic and everyone is different

rdl... Legs don't have to be straight, They can be slightly bent....but as stated push your ass back and don't work the knee joint keep it stationary at all times. Pull from hamstrings.

Light fast partial romanian deads are great squat assistance work

probably mostly to do with body fat percentage dropping... Hence looking more "jacked"

but also probably has a lot to do with dudes with no muscle at all and never doing chins, etc at all before

^This, also they are constantly exercising.

Whenever i start a new sport i see my muscle building shift to the harder worked areas. Its probably similar with basic too.

going back to the gym i've been out for almost a year bc of an injury any advice/suggestion/pointers?

i just want to get all the soreness out of the body asap. should i just blast everything the first day /nh i know ill be aching for about a week but i want to speed it up. supplements for a faster recovery etc?

IF YOU'RE SKINNY AND ONLY GAINING 5 LBS PER YEAR. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. ALOT OF PEOPLE GAIN 30-40 EVEN 50 LBS IN THEIR FIRST YEAR OF WEIGHTLIFTING. OBVIOUSLY YOU CAN'T KEEP UP THAT UP FOREVER THOUGH OR EVERYONE WOULD WEIGH 300 LBS AFTER A FEW YEARS.

RDL'S ARE LIKE A STRAIGHT LEG DEADLIFT EXCEPT YOU KEEP THE BARBELL AGAINST YOUR LEGS AND PUSH YOUR HIPS BACK AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND ON THE REVERSE YOU EXTEND YOUR HIPS FORWARD AND FLEX YOUR HAMS AND GLUTES.

You didn't read what I said.

Gaining 30-50 pounds of muscle in one year is physically impossible (*unless you're taking a

growth hormone). I believe this would be fat and glycogen gains for the most part.

AOD: That's probably the best explanation. Lots of cutting on top of toned muscle.

If any of you have a cottage know of someone that's got one. Go there for a weekend split close to 300 logs of pine and ash for the two days with a manual splitter

Acquire old man strength if you keep it up. Best upper body work out I have ever done.

Try loading hay bails. The fun never stops.

• Like 1

,,,,,.....-----ROLL CALL-----......,,,,,,

Just out of curiousity for the regulars in this thread... what are you numbers lookin like? Estimates on max's are acceptable

For me....

Bench: 155

Squat:235

Deadlift:245

The lowest I ever go for reps in a set is 4.. so those are all pretty close estimates

Funny you should ask I just maxed in everything (well the big lifts) today.

Bench 215

squat 255

deadlift 295

seated military press 185

Im not a regular on this thread but i fully intend on becoming one being i just got back into lifting again here in the last two months. feels great!!