the un official workout thread

podrido

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

OK, so after some research and considering what I have to work with I decided to start out with this routine: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/index.php

Probably not the right one to start out with, but I'm cutting it all in half for right now and I'm liking it compared to other routines I've tried. Plus I got my bike back and I'm definitely making changes in my diet.. Mostly just cutting out sugars and reducing some starch and carbs and increasing the veggies starting this upcoming week. Feels good.

I'm getting some chub now /nh now that I'm working again and everything at the restaurant is deep fried. Its summer and I don't want to be a fatass.

I want to start off real simple, like pushups/situps/squats.

Here's my question/problem:

I'm super out of shape, so I can only do like 10 pushups 40 situps w/e. While I was told to do a monday/weds/fri cycle, I hurt so bad after the 1st day that I can hardly sit up out of bed, let alone do more situps.

Am I supposed to work through the pain? Or should I do it as often as I can until I can get on an appropriate routine.

Apologies for the super novice question. I've never cared to work out before.

Were your muscles just sore? Or do you feel like you actually pulled something?

If you're just sore I'd wait until your muscles are done repairing. And odds are when you work those muscles out again you wont be sore for so long. But seeing results from exercising can take awhile. Depends on how intense you get with it.

And since you're totally new to working out, I'd do more cardio exercises... going on long bike rides, jogs, buy a jump rope etc. You'll notice and feel the results more quickly. Move more, eat less. It's as simple as that.

But then again, this is all just my opinion. Do what's best for you.

• Like 1

in my working out experiences, ive always been forced to work through the pain. as long as you take a few days off at the end of the week you should be good, you can tweak your routine but dont stop working, youl get stiff. for example, the first week of cross country went like this:

monday: 4 miles, P90x "ab ripper x" workout after

tuesday: 4 miles

wednesday: 4 miles, leg lifts (squats, lunges, calf raises), pullups to failure, pushups and situps to failure too

thursday: 4 miles, 2 200 yard sprints.

friday: off

Saturday: optional 2 mile beach run

sunday: off.

after the first day my legs were killing me, after the second i could barely walk up a flight of stairs, by the end of the week i was sleeping on the couch downstairs and not walking at all. but after the rest days, my legs werent sore one bit. and they stayed unsore until the lifts on the next wednesday.

so if you can, work through it. if your about to pass out, take a break. but dont quit.

(and all of this applies to more cardio stuff, by the way)

I second what acer said.

Keep the variety in your routine and for fuck's sake make sure you do a warm-up before you workout.

It seriously prevents a lot of soreness and injury.

On a side note, I just finished month 2 of p90x and I'm tired as fuck.

i can not stress how important this is.

the first cross country workout i went to i noticed we didnt do any warm up.

so instead of driving, i ride my bicycle to every single practice.

stretches my legs out before and after running, everyone on the team thinks its just a waste of energy, but they are the ones who almost collapse when they get out of their car after the run. not me.

and ive never seen the vids for the upper body and leg (i assume its divided into abdominal, upper body and leg?) is there any jumping involved? the people who live below me are complete assholes.

consistency is key.

in Diet, Routine, and Drive.

A.S.S. do as many calesthenics as you can.

swim a lot too, but when you swim dont just float around make it a point to make it somewhat of an exercise.

plus watching what and HOW MUCH you eat

and you should be alright to stay at a normal weight and understand better how to maintain it.

• Like 1

i

and ive never seen the vids for the upper body and leg (i assume its divided into abdominal, upper body and leg?) is there any jumping involved? the people who live below me are complete assholes.

It breaks down to basically working specific muscle groups one day + the ab ripper circuit and then doing some cardio/plyo or yoga the next. Then the 3rd day back to muscle groups etc...

Yes, the plyometrics is basically an hour of jumping, but you're supposed to focus on landing lightly, so maybe your neighbors wouldn't notice too much?

meh i stopped lifting weights for the time being.

i think i need to focus more on cardio and light resistance weight training anyways.

a friend of mine who used to be in really really good shape has let him self go..he gained about 80 pounds in the past 2 years (so, he says...i think he may have gained even more than that)...it all started when he got with his girlfriend (currently fiancee), so he hit me up about working out with me at the gym.

he used to outrun me and outlift me...now he cant do shit...plus his lungs are all fucked up from smoking pack after pack...im gonna try to help him get back into shape.

moral of the story is:

when i finally do decide to get married, im buying a gym membership for me and my wife.

You should just make your future wife carry you on her back everywhere. As you get fatter she will get stronger, so it evens out and you can always pull the card that you contributed to her strength in total if she ever gets lippy about you letting yourself go.

I DID IT ALL FOR YOU, BABY!

who has experience with injury rehab?

i was rear ended last monday.... (sitting at a red light, was smashed in the rear end by a dodge ram 2500 D-dog going 50 miles an hour, ended up in a 4 car pile up)

im sore all over. neck is in fairly good shape now. low back pain is minimal now. headaches from concussion are tolerable now. i have pretty bad rotator cuff/shoulder pain on and off when i raise my arm to parallel to the floor or above. bruises are all about healed up.

i've been foam rolling and doing light slow sled dragging.

im gonna try to get back to lifting something tomorrow.

i think im going to switch a quasi DC style training for a while since i dont want to go heavy and i'll concentrate on volume and repetition. since my shoulder is f'd i think im gonna try light dumbbell presses for my bench movement with a neutral grip. this hasnt affected a screwed shoulder in the past, so here is to hoping. i might have to resort to a machine which i dont want to. im not going to go heavy on squats as i dont want to stress my CNS to bad. definitely not doing a dead lift movement for a while till im healed up more.

any advice????

I'm definitely starting habits now that will help to keep me from getting fat later.

Already seeing and feeling the benefits. Got a solid routine down and I'm eating a lot better.

Cut out a lot of sugar and reduced my carbs. Right now I'm just trying to lose the flab and get my cardio straight then I'll work on gaining some muscle.

/nofattyfucker