Lay Off The Toyz

PaintTheWorld

Mentor Toyz?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am posting this in order to get your thoughts on the subject:

A Toy, as in a new or young writer is just starting out. They don't have to be teenagers. Hell, Skeme was all city and did "All you see is crime in the city" when he was about 16. Shit. Sure, Toys use simple style, sure they tend to byte stylez, they are trying to learn. We all started in our black books doing simple styles till our hands cramped. We all copied styles and worked them to figure out why the were so sick and then used that to develop our own style. And we all know that simple is the best way to start when you are green on the rattlecan. Learn technique and clean painting first. If we did, our stylish shit looked great from the start, if we didn't, thos first 'stylish' pieces looked like ass. The point I am getting at is this, should we not be helping this type of toy? Showing them how to get into and live in the yards safely, how to not jack the heat up on a yard, how the unwritten rules of respect work, keep their noses always in their blackbooks, etc. Does this not make the graff world better for all of us. Less heat, less waring, more and better art.

I had a mentor that looked past my 'toyness' and saw my burning passion to be a writer. I learned more in six months due to his help then most toys learn in years going it on their own always being hated on by vets. Now, instead of fighting to get better to avoide getting crossed out, I work my ass off to show him that he didn't make an error in judgement by taking me under his wing, I want to make him proud.

The other Toyz, those that only are in this for the 'cool' never work at getting better, don't even care about getting better, think this is some kind of game, kill them forever. Cross em, cover em, bust them up, whatever. Just kill 'em.

Interested in all of your opinions, toyz or vets, kings and legends, post em.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally agree. I'm definently a toy but work alot in my blackbook trying to come up with good stuff. And it seems too often then not whenever I post something up the comment is "It sucks" or "It's alright". I don't let it get to me considering it is their right to an opinion but I really wish sometimes that I would get some reasoning to as why it sucks.

All in all it is definenlty tough coming up with out a mentor of some sort. Hopefully I'll learn sometime soon.

being a 'toy' isn't about how good or bad your graffiti is. it's about how you conduct yourself. know your place, keep your mouth shut and listen, keep your hands in your pockets and watch, and maybe we'll let you hang around long enough to progress, and even offer the odd pat on the back when you finally do something that doesn't suck. don't get ahead of yourself, because there is always someone who's been doing it longer and better than you. always. and for christ's sake have some heart. don't be a pussy, don't snitch, and take your punishment like a man. this is not up for debate.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

i was going to say graffiti isnt a democracy. if you cant take the criticism and hate along with every other factor imaginable then most probably you do not belong in graffiti...

abc beat me to it

most toys are complete waste of time, and the ones who are not pull through on there own accord ive seen people who i would never look twice at go crazy in a few years and in one case i seen a kid become the best painter in one of the best crews up here, painting passengers for fun and traveling round the country doing steel.

and as for this toys do simple stuff malarky....the king of all kings in north east was strictly simple and bubbley and still is to this day.

Keep your head up homie. I am a toy as well. I have been recieving some advice from local writers in my town, but other than that , you really just have to stay in your blackbook and develope your style. Once you have it down in your book then try to get it up just like it is in your book. Practice, practice, practice, and practice some more. That is the only way to get your skill and rep up. No one is gonna tell or show you shit. PAYIN DUES is what you have to do. Stick wit yo, if you are seriuos about being a writer you have to put in the work

im a toy, probably one of the biggest toys on here, im looking to improve a lot tho, which would be easier if all these 'vets' stoped just saying "its crap" and started saying things like "its crap but you could improve by...."

It sucks.. but you could improve by not sucking so much

There ya go

I just hate biters, I think if you're going to bite you may aswell just go do a blockbuster or simple that is 'you'. If you bite, you're a toy. I don't care how good you are, if you're going to straight out just grab a style and reproduce it in your form that's as toy as it gets.....

I always think graffiti as what you want it to be, but all I can tell toys is keep it illegal, don't be some legal bunny. There's already enough of them trying too hard....

The scene needs writers who arnt afriad of having a line thats a little shaked or a fade that doesnt look crisp. Learn to admire things that others wouldnt.....

You are what you're not...

Being a toy, it does piss me off when others don't shut the fuck up and listen. Lots of people don't want to help us out, mostly because they've seen too many argue with someone who is much better and expierienced. I post stuff, if someone says it sucks, don't argue. Do simples, you can't do wildstyle pieces until you can do simples in your sleep, literally. If someone offers help, listen, don't argue about shit, they're probly better than you, so shut up.