Nintendo Wii

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ They need to advertise that more, because I knew about the other controller but I'd forgot about it and thought they were only using that wand. A lot of people that would buy it won't buy it because they'll think it's only the wand.

afaik theyll be losing $200-300 per system, not 400-500, not like it makes much of a difference. sony fucked themselves over.

I hear Microsoft lost 4 billion on the first X-Box and that they're still in the red on that venture. They have 40 billion a year revenues, though.

they will also have a "regular" controller for shit like fighting games and madden and other shit like that...

Oh, nevermind what I just said, I thought it was all gonna be the wand.

Maybe Nintendo needs to do a media blitz to insure that lazy folks like me who only read the facts AFTER the fact get the message...

graphics are so ps2...

Psssh, the graphics on that Red Steel game look just as good as most of the PS3 previews and current 360 games. It's plenty capable of nice visuals.

Nintendo's got a winner on their hands, even if they're telling "mature" gamers to suck a dick. This is the same kind of shit that blew your mind when you first picked up that NES controller. I'm glad they didnt' get sucked into the bullshit hardware one-upping of Microsoft and Sony.

also people talking about ps2 graphics or whatever. first off, most of the games featured are just to show off whats going on. even the ones that are real games.. you are viewing this shit on YOUTUBE in horrible quality.

second, who cares if it doesnt have the best graphics? i still play my NES everytime i plug it in i dont whine about marble madness having terrible graphics. why? because it's a great game. you dudes need to get your priorities straight.

Oh, that shit's on rails?

It's on disguised rails, from what I've read in EGM and on a few websites. You can move around a bit but your path is forced and there's no real exploration aspect like an actual FPS. But then again, that was at E3 in May, apparently they've revamped it a bit based on the criticism--always a good sign when a company actually listens to the complaints.

From 1up.com:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153672&did=1

Red Steel

by Matt Leone 09/14/2006

At E3 earlier this year, Red Steel took a lot of heat. As one of the marquee games to show off Nintendo's Wii controller, its demo version left many complaining about the controls and how they seemed to be unresponsive. So many were looking to today's Nintendo press event in New York to find out about the new version of the game, and to see if the controls had been improved as rumors suggested. The answer is yes -- the version we tried today is a definite improvement over the E3 build. The two main differences we noticed were in a zoom function for gunfire and polished sword fighting mechanics. The zoom function works as such: by holding down the A button and then physically moving the Wii Remote forward, the in-game character will hold his gun in the middle of the screen and then zoom in as far as you push it forward. It took us a couple tries to adjust to the motion, as you have to be sure to hold A with the controller close to your chest to get a full arm's length of zoom when you push out, but once we got the hang of it, it provided a much more manageable way to take out enemies than the standard pointing and shooting.

Sword fighting now is pretty manageable as well. The basic idea is to either parry (by thrusting the nunchaku left or right) or dodge (by holding the top nunchaku trigger and pushing left or right) oncoming attacks, and then follow them up with swipes of your blade using the Wii Remote. In the fight we tried, it was very easy to parry once we got the hang of it, and the only challenge seemed to be in figuring out when to parry and when to dodge, though according to developers from Ubisoft, the fights will become much more difficult later on in the game.

Visually, the developers tell us the look is just about finished -- and it definitely looks better than it did at E3 and holds up well next to most Wii games short of Mario Galaxy or Zelda -- and the controls have definitely improved since we saw them last, but we're still not sold on how it feels a bit clumsy to target normal enemies a lot of the time, so hopefully in these remaining weeks of development that will get polished up. Today's showing was a decent step forward, but the game still has more to prove, so we'll continue to keep an eye on this one.

Cool, looks like they're working on it. I mean, two of my favorite games (Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox and LA Machineguns on the arcade) are as on rails as it gets, but that's flying combat. On-rails FPS's aren't as fun.

The only arcade left around here has only gun-games on rails, a couple of shitty racing games, and some more gun games. They even got a gun game with a helmet.... :o And 1 out of 3 of the pinball machines work.

I just want more arcades, god dammit, I want more! There used to be so many of them and now there's shit-all. There's nothing!@ I don't think Boston has a single arcade except for this one bowling alley on the outskirts that gets shady as shit at night. There used to be like 3 or 4 downtown about 8 or 9 years ago. Now there's nothing. Fuck. I want to go to an arcade and drop 20 bucks in quarters on Smash TV and that fuckin' Neo-Geo commando game and some of those overhead Capcom plane shooters and Ninja Turtles and Sega Rally and shit.