The War superthread

shitting

books, movies, songs, histories - whatever

I'll start it off with "the Forgotten soldier" by Guy Sajer

I've read most of the famous war memoirs and some obscure ones but this one really stands outs. Written by a german soldier about his experiences on the eastern front - by far the most devestating engagment in human history. there are no glossy photos in the middle of this one/ What he went through is absolutely unimaginable

0304352403.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

anyone read it?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
This book gave me a great idea of what war was like

homage.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can find it for free online.

This is a great book, and believe it or not i'm reading this right now

warandpeacemb7.jpg

it contains 1450 pages, i'm only up to like 365, still though I'm getting into it and it's pretty damn good.

Does anyone recommend Jarhead? What's it like?

Saw this last weekend, real, real good movie. Jamie foxx is greta and gyllenhaal is good too. It reminded me of the movie Traffic alot, in regards to flow and style. The film is very crisp in its portrayal of the first Gulf War.

Anyone read BlackHawk Down or seen the movie? I keep seeing it at the book store but I'm kinda iffy on it.

What about that George Clooney vehicle "Three Kings" or something like that, where they're looking for lost treasure?

Yeah it's everybody's favorite but "The Great Escape" and "Saving Private Ryan" Rule:mad:

Does anyone recommend Jarhead? What's it like?

i was just going to make a stupid joke about jarhead being my favorite war movie. i havent seen it but ill stand behind my asertion that it sucks. i dont give a shit what jamie fox did in "ray"...the guy is not an actor.

p.s.- no one has said tigerland yet. that movie was awesome.

Mine are too horific to recount...

Those are all good movies abc.

my favorite war film;

B00005221N.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

was halfway through the book by james jones a couple of years ago but I lost it. hafta get another copy. I rememebr that it was basically about the neurosis that are manifest by war. pretty good.

*SPOILER IF YOU HAVNT SEEN JARHEAD*

It was still a good movie even though he never actually got to shoot anyone.

Saving Private Ryan,Enemy at the Gates,Band of Brothers,Thin Red Line,Platoon,Full Metal Jacket,Apocolypse Now, i forget the name but John Wayne was in it as some guy in a special forces unit and there was a little kid, Jarhead, 3 Kings.....Terminator.

Also,i watch alot of History Channel and im trying to get the Military Channel hooked up too.