What are you watching?

RumPuncher

Documentarieschannel_logo.gif

THE CENTURY OF THE SELF

century_self_lead.jpg

Monday 29 April - Thursday 2 May 2002 7pm-8pm

Adam Curtis' acclaimed series examines the rise of the all-consuming self against the backdrop of the Freud dynasty.

To many in both politics and business, the triumph of the self is the ultimate expression of democracy, where power has finally moved to the people. Certainly the people may feel they are in charge, but are they really? The Century of the Self tells the untold and sometimes controversial story of the growth of the mass-consumer society in Britain and the United States. How was the all-consuming self created, by whom, and in whose interests?

The Freud dynasty is at the heart of this compelling social history. Sigmund Freud, founder of psychoanalysis; Edward Bernays, who invented public relations; Anna Freud, Sigmund's devoted daughter; and present-day PR guru and Sigmund's great grandson, Matthew Freud.

Sigmund Freud's work into the bubbling and murky world of the subconscious changed the world. By introducing a technique to probe the unconscious mind, Freud provided useful tools for understanding the secret desires of the masses. Unwittingly, his work served as the precursor to a world full of political spin doctors, marketing moguls, and society's belief that the pursuit of satisfaction and happiness is man's ultimate goal.

[/url]

The Century of the Self - Happiness Machines - Ep1 - [2/5]

The Century of the Self - Happiness Machines - Ep1 - [3/5]

The Century of the Self - Happiness Machines - Ep1 - [4/5]

The Century of the Self - Happiness Machines - Ep1 - [5/5]

The Century of the Self - Engineering Consent - Ep2 - [1/5]

The Century of the Self - Engineering Consent - Ep2 - [2/5]

The Century of the Self - Engineering Consent - Ep2 - [3/5]

The Century of the Self - Engineering Consent - Ep2 - [4/5]

The Century of the Self - Engineering Consent - Ep2 - [5/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 3 - [1/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 3 - [2/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 3 - [3/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 3 - [4/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 3 - [5/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 4 - [1/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 4 - [2/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 4 - [3/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 4 - [4/5]

The Century of the Self - Episode 4 - [5/5]

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finished watching Muholland Dr. a little while ago.

never again will I.

I spoke those very words a couple years ago... then I watched it again for the lesbian scene... then a friend made me watch it once more after a debate about 'what it meant'... turns out my argument that 'it meant nothing and was all just some stupid dream like David Lynch always does to swindle my dollars' turned out to be fully true after he did some web research...

but I would watch the lezzie scene again...

metronome... why isn't there a G in your name?

Perhaps there is and it's invisible, the visual counterpart of 'silent E'...

in fact, whatever you had to do with it's inspiration I now claim the title and will be known from here on out as

"Invisible G"

the one part in Mullholland drive (asides from the lezzy scene and the chick playing with herself)

is where the two guys are in the dinner and there's that creepy thing behind the dumpster.

That part worked like a well written short film, but then it went on for another 2 hours.

I remember hoping that Mullholland drive would really click with me.

I wanted to like that film, and frm the beginning to about half way though I did like it.....

then out comes the midget with the opera singer and the blue cube thing.

Even google oner couldn't give me a straight answer what that shit was all about.

I watched a few episodes of Carnivale... and it seemed way more cohearant that the typical Lynch fare.

yeah, I only watched MHD because my dad gave it to me, saying he and his girlfriend had watched it and found it confusing... I officially quit liking Lynch at the end of Wild at Heart when the good witch came out and rescued Nick Cage...

I think I'll see who's on Letterman tonight... or maybe Leno...

It's funny, but both Colbert Report and Daily Show have sort of evened out their daily routines.

Before there were okay shows, and then fucking halarious shows.

Now it's all ironed out and jokes dissipated between two shows. between two shows instead of one.. Still one of the funniest shows on television.

I miss the old whose line. That shit is halarious.