GRAFFITI VANDAL HUNTED IN THREAT VS. QUEENS POL

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel what Tyler Durden's saying, to a degree. Not necessarily about this particular event. If it weren't Mark Ecko doing this it'd be a prime example of people even on the opposite side (graffiti writers) still thinking that someday they're going to have a place on the upper rung of society and to some degree feel better about themselves for taking the side of the 'more responsible, adult-like, law obiding citizens'.

To a point, I agree that the law is right on many levels... from trying to stop us from doing drugs to not approving of people going out and destroying things that aren't theirs for the simple fact that 'Fuck them, they've got more money than they know what to do with!'... but let's face facts. Graffiti is not above drug addicts, corney wiggers, stoners, or any other angsty subdivision of society.. I just think it's cute when irresponsible adults who like to sneak around at odd hours of the night to write their name on things that aren't theirs try to flip the script and get all condescending when someone says 'hey, if things keep going they way they are...'.

No offense to the people I respect in here... I'm just saying.. if you don't at least consider what Tyelr's saying to some extent you're just as ignorant as the people that you claim to hate.

I agree with what Tyler said. I'm not trying to be some hypocrytical guy who is being ironic for the sake of it. This is a fucked up thing that they did, but it happens a lot. What pisses me off most is that Ecko paid for *those fake trains to be painted. Since when does money get no respect?

Legal walls have been taken away many times, for a number of reasons, but I think City of New York should be ashamed of themselves to have gotten in the way of capitalism like that.

But, for real, I've been pissed off at the states lately. Your stupid drug laws (that you're trying to push on us), and your hypocritical stance on NAFTA irates me.

i guess i'm just not surprised by this at all.

maybe its living here that has made me a total cynic, but jesus, they have locked up half the writers who were suppposed to paint, if not more.

criminals always get shat on, regardless.

..this reminds me

our old police commissioner was fired because of tax fraud crimes

he did time, served a fine

and now he's coming back to the city to work on a radio station

they are throwing him a party

and the city police warned the cops that any cop who goes to that party could be fired.

i seem to remember starting some kind of police state thread a while back.

i know, i know, the states have gone down the tubes.

No doubt, symbols.

I just think it's approximately 82 degrees of wack that a bunch of criminals have gotten so adjusted to not being taken seriously and equated to rhetoric spouting kids that one can't even step up in the company of similar people to point something out without being written off as some anarcho-hippie-idealist-conspiracy theory head, even when the people around that person know that's not what they're about... ala Tyler Durden.

Truthfully aslong as ANY fucking clothing company, TV advertising exec, any advertising exec for that matter, magazine, or any company is willing to pay a writer for their "criminal activities" the system is catching a fat cock in the grill.''

FUCK YOU, PAY ME 24/7

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Aug 18 2005, 01:22 PM

No doubt, symbols.

I just think it's approximately 82 degrees of wack that a bunch of criminals have gotten so adjusted to not being taken seriously and equated to rhetoric spouting kids that one can't even step up in the company of similar people to point something out without being written off as some anarcho-hippie-idealist-conspiracy theory head, even when the people around that person know that's not what they're about... ala Tyler Durden.

But, for real, it's up to Ecko to hire a team of lawyers, if he wants. I've never heard of any organizations for the ethical treatment of graffiti writers to step up and be heard.

Does anyone else find it odd that Cope2 cares so much? He can get a legal wall anywhere he wants, and there are several more stops to go for this Getting Up tour, I'd imagine.

I can almost guarantee that there are other factors at play here. Namely, $.

*edit - my bad - he's been charged for harassment ten times already. Maybe he likes to harrass people.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Aug 18 2005, 01:22 PM

No doubt, symbols.

Thank you.

I know that theres alot of fucked up shit that goes on in the world. But EVERYONE has to ask themselves at some point, what is going to happen in the next 10-20 years. All these "little" things are happening now....laws and rights being tinkered with, freedoms being "adjusted", etc....You really have to wonder, whats going to happen when this adds up down the line? What will be the world look like then? I just cant shake this feeling that we're moving towards a police state.

I dont even think this is being paranoid, delusional, or a conspiracy nut. With the 10 year extension onto the wiretaps and surveillance, patriot act, etc etc....this IS just the tip of the iceberg. It's really not THAT big of a thing at all, but one that should make the idea of you being censored personally very real and hopefully have it hit home because most of us are writers and can at least relate to the situation on that level. They are being shut down purely because someone in charge doesnt like what they have to say...despite that its totally legal. They are legal wooden fake trains. It's absolutely no different than you being at 5pointz, or any legal spot, and having a city official say "I dont like that. Stop.".....And your obvious reply is "uh.......I have permission? Here's my permit/papers...." to which you get a "Nah. I dont care. I dont like it. Stop.". How fucking wrong is that?

I write in this city and 98% of the time it's not legal. Anyone who knows me off this board knows that. I pay my taxes and other than the one night a week that I go out, I'm actually a very law abiding citizen and standup person. This really really REALLY is not about us being criminals though. Graffiti should stay illegal, legal walls are NOT graffiti. They are MURALS...and the officials have absolutely NO right whatsoever to do this.

How is pointing out how fucked up a situation is "feeding into it"? Tyler makes an excellent point, and I can't imagine that the city's goal with this whole thing was getting us to talk about it on 12 ounce. No, this isn't the worst thing the government has ever done, but it is a drop in the fucking ocean that they're going to drown our civil liberties in a few short years from now.

SOHH.COM:

Days after the City of New York revoked Mark Ecko's permit to hold The Getting Up Block Party, the fashion designer is set to announce his plans to sue the city today.

The Getting Up Block Party is free to a public and is set to feature a graffiti art exhibition next Wednesday, August 24th. Radio host Ron Kuby's law firm, Kuby & Perez, and several reputed graffiti artists are slated to join Ecko during his announcement today at Marc Ecko Enterprises in Manhattan at 2 pm. In July, the city's Community Assistance Unit issued a permit for the event only to revoke it a few days ago.

advertisement

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg says he doesn't support the exhibit, "Graffiti is just one of those things that destroys our quality of life, and why anybody thinks that it's funny or cute to encourage kids to go do that, I don't know. We have talked to them and asked them to not have a subway car motif to write graffiti. This is not really art or expression. This is - let's be honest about what it is - it's trying to encourage people to do something that's not in anybody's interest."

A letter sent to Ecko said that the permit was for an art exhibition event rather than a commercial event. The event is set to feature ten 48-ft long by 8-ft high replicas of the legendary NYC transit blue-bird subway cars. Graf artists are scheduled to paint the cars. Renowned graffiti artists such as COPE2 and T-Kid are slated to take part in the event as well as other active NYC graf heads.

Ecko has written an open letter to the city in which he responds to Mayor Mike Bloomberg's claims that graffiti is not an art form. In the letter, Ecko also notes that he's been going through all the proper channels to set up this event.

"Unfortunately the spirit of the event, as it was originally conceived and as it has been presented to the appropriate civic groups and government officials since November 2004, seems to have been lost in the haste to stereotype all graffiti-style artists as 'vandals' and to brand this event as a 'promotion of crime,'" Ecko wrote in the letter. "At its core, this is an event designed to celebrate an art form born from the streets of New York over two decades ago as a means of creative self-expression, allowing the public a unique chance to experience the workmanship and skill that go into creating a piece of art fine enough to hang on the walls of any traditional gallery or museum. Upon completion, a 48-foot mural will be donated to The Point, a Bronx-based nonprofit youth development organization, while the remaining nine will be placed throughout the city for public display."

Recently, upon being asked about the forthcoming graffiti event, NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg offered, "Look, there is a fine line here between freedom of expression and going out and encouraging people to hurt this city. Defacing subway cars is hardly a joke."

Political overtones and criticisms of Marc Ecko aside, does anybody know what the cars are being made of? If they're going all out, making metal and plexiglass replicas, this is far cooler than any legal walls I've heard about lately. You know older writers are going to take that more seriously than a Time magazine billboard. I'd actually like to see this happen.