The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hmm...

I've been lurking around for a bit now and I've really been looking for something more active to do with my life. I've always been intrested in skateboarding but never really had the time for it.

Now I have time, and I figured I'd try it out.

I was thinking of going to wal mart and just rocking a $30 board until I know what the fuck I'm doing (and it would seem better to start off skating on shit until my skills require something better)....

Anyway, suggestions?

Hmm...

I've been lurking around for a bit now and I've really been looking for something more active to do with my life. I've always been intrested in skateboarding but never really had the time for it.

Now I have time, and I figured I'd try it out.

I was thinking of going to wal mart and just rocking a $30 board until I know what the fuck I'm doing (and it would seem better to start off skating on shit until my skills require something better)....

Anyway, suggestions?

Where do you live ? I'm sure you can support your local skateshop instead of WalMart . A decent complete can be had for around $100-$120 . Kryptonics makes those pre-assembled completes and spending $40 might not be a bad idea . That one is up to you .

The key at least to me in skateboarding is to take it in all it's forms and make it your own . I mean shit you don't have to learn crazy technical tricks , carve a cement park , ride vert , etc...sometimes all it takes is just cruising around town thinking about nothing . That's how I clear my head . I'll grab a setup and go downtown Cleveland and cruise around for hours . It's my therapy I guess . Learn to ride anything skateable , every terrain , it's a lot more fun in the long run that way .

Everyone that skateboards has their own outlook on what it is , what it should be , etc...I'm an older guy I guess , at 31 . And I have conflict between what I know of skateboarding from when I started in the late 80's , to what skateboarding has become in my opinions . Sure I joke and make fun of modern street skating opposed to the old school launch ramp / half-pipe / pool scene I'm part of , but it's all in good fun and sarcasm .

The funny thing is you can skateboard for 5 years or whatever , stop for a variety of reasons , and then one day your ass gets stung by the skate bug . And then you fall in love with it just like you did in the firstplace . Not to sound all emo & gay , but it's a beautiful thing .

My best wishes in your lost love of skateboarding . :cool:

build a mini-ramp and dont even bother with skating street.

unless your still relatively young then by all means, go for the whole 9 yards

Is 18 relatively young?

Thats kinda the thing that gets me...kids have been skating since they were like, 8 years old and shit.

The only thing I started at 8 and that I've continued is playing video games...-_-

I don't want to be some all star, but I'd like to be decent.

And I'd much prefer to skate on the streets then on some ramp anyway, seems more fun.

Thanks for the heads up Celt, I'll look around.

i agree with you celt

i skated for about a year straight and when the summer stopped i also stopped and i was pretty damn good

it got so boring to me and my knee just couldnt withstand all the shifting and moving it did

i gave my board to a friend and i wanted it back because i was going to get back into it

but it got stolen at a houseparty

Bruce, all you got to do is learn how to ollie in a place where no one sees you dude

once you can do that go cruise around

its very very enjoyable

skateboarding is such a great outlet

18 is still mad young.

my boy whos 24, just started last year,

mainly cause he was sick of walking to work, its a good 20 min walk in bean town,

so he picked up a skateboard. i told him what to get, and now he can do ollies.

he still looks akward as shit, but hes an athletic dude, so hes pickin it up quickly.

about trucks,

titans are the fucking worst.

ive rode all types of trucks, titans, royal,. tensor, thunder, venture, grind king, krux, rollers, and indys.

im currently skating a set of indy lows.

ive always been a venture kid, cause they are low and light. but decided to give the indy lows a try, and they arent that bad. the bushings arent the original orange joints that come on the 139s etc... so i swapped them out for bones bushings. always a great small investment for better turning.

but i got another set of ventures, that im going back to.

indy, venture, thunder is my list of good trucks. everything else is a gimmick.

Anyway, suggestions?

pick up a complete at your local shop or something. fuck a walmart board, you'll just want a better board quickly anyways. and just do whatever you have fun with skating. i skated for a quite a few years and all my friends were going ridiculously tech while i was still having fun bombing hills and doing basic shit. Just skate to have fun. If you can have fun spending days trying to learn new tricks, i can respect that. If you're enjoying cruising around doing 180s and shit, do it up. just skate for yourself and do what you enjoy; don't skate to impress other people, you'll have a lot more fun that way.

Is 18 relatively young?

Thats kinda the thing that gets me...kids have been skating since they were like, 8 years old and shit.

The only thing I started at 8 and that I've continued is playing video games...-_-

I don't want to be some all star, but I'd like to be decent.

And I'd much prefer to skate on the streets then on some ramp anyway, seems more fun.

Thanks for the heads up Celt, I'll look around.

18 , Jesus consider yourself lucky . Yeah well last week I watched a 9-10 year old kid completely own Chenga World , an indoor park here in Cleveland , OH . But...when I busted a 360 Boneless over a pyramid , he looked puzzled . He asked me what I just did so I taught him Boneless's , and the 360 Boneless , could never do a switch one to save my life . So it's all relative .

See , this whole video-game skateboard generation kind of bugs me . If you watch most of these kids skate exactly alike , nothing but robotic and dull . But for every 1000 of those kids there's the 1 kid who skates fast as fuck with his own crazy style . That's the younger kid I'm rooting for .

explain to me how titans are bad.

only trucks that you can legitlly say suck are those Creeper trucks..those things are heavy as fuck. Every truck is pretty much the same truck but they just look different.

altho very light, they grinded like shit, they turned like shit, and that little pin in the middle of the hangar that prevented them from slipping broke with ease, and then the axel slipped like butter.

i got them for free from a friend who decided to stop skating, and i went right back to my old grinded down ventures.

i feel like im switching out bearings every time i setup a new deck. i dont know if the quality of bearings have gone down hill, or its that the higher end bearings, altho roll fast, break just as fast at they roll.

That's because every brand of bearings made by skate companies is garbage with the exception of Swiss.

Gemans, NMB, and Swiss are the only bearings worth a damn.