Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 1/10/2023 at 9:14 AM, Joker said:

@Aristo- The first thing that jumps out at me is there are some connections to be made to clean up the overall configuration. For example, the right leg of your M is almost the exact same curve and shape as the back bar to your E, so I would merge the two together to clean up that connection. Same with the end of your E... you could connect that directly to the left bar of your N to clean that connection up as well. 

As for adding serifs... to help with this exercise I chose a slab serif font as my example to work from. Basically I got the letters where I wanted them and then went back and added the serifs. Doing this helped me connect my letters even more creating a nice, fluid form to the word. I tried my best to keep your letters so it feels familiar but let me know if this is hitting the mark on what you're trying to achieve. 

Amen_Edit.png

Sorry it's been awhile. But I saw this and yes I think it's helped me out. I'll have to spend some time experimenting with serifs some more. I've been working on merging my letters and making smoother connections. 

• Like 1

@Aristo- Looking at your sketches, and reading that you're working on making smoother connections between letters, I decided to play around with the E to N connection on one of your sketches. One thing I noticed is that, at least in your Amen sketches, the end of the E curls down and the end of your N curls up, which lead me to think you could connect them at those curling points. I also gave slightly more definition to the E inside the right bar of the M - one of those classic Graffiti notches.

For your consideration:

Amen_1.jpg

• Props 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, billoboy2020 said:

Hey guys!

How good/bad are these? I thought i got the basics figured out but i cant seem to get over the kinda straight letter pieces, to a point where i sometimes get frustrated and think i just lack creativity.

Thanks for any responses, have a good day.

63458049-7DD0-41E2-841F-E2B3E1E60C19_1_105_c.jpeg

7EE8274E-BA46-411C-A690-36BD7779C2DD_1_105_c.jpeg

6E6837FE-6AD6-42F5-AE85-290FFBE2536D_1_105_c.jpeg

79A7EC57-360D-411F-B7F8-6F9A8ADF4262_1_105_c.jpeg

Definitely heading in the right direction on some of these. Some of the letters are looking blobbed out and the bars could be cleaned up and defined better. I think your last pencil sketch is your strongest (minus the wonky legs of the A and matching parts of the N). Try to refine that sketch in a couple of new versions and repost them. See if you unlock anything.

6 hours ago, LUGR said:

Definitely heading in the right direction on some of these. Some of the letters are looking blobbed out and the bars could be cleaned up and defined better. I think your last pencil sketch is your strongest (minus the wonky legs of the A and matching parts of the N). Try to refine that sketch in a couple of new versions and repost them. See if you unlock anything.

thanks for the fast feedback LUGR (and thanks for the others like joker or mr. yuck for taking this time and giving so constructive and high quality critique btw)

I think i know what you mean by blobbed-out letters. Probably the A,T,N on the blue/pink piece or the A and N on the piece below that. Ive tried to bring some variety into it by not always cutting the bar with a straight line but I can see how it looks kinda weird now so thanks for that.

I did a quick redo of my pen sketch, without the wonky legs. Ive tried to refine it as well and did a second sketch, tho i had trouble  adding stuff/making new versions without changing up the original sketch too much.

E3658262-95AA-4399-A30A-E54BC9108F84_1_105_c.jpeg

4D984180-C998-465C-98B6-F6F8CC999E78_1_105_c.jpeg

• Props 1

4 hours ago, billoboy2020 said:

thanks for the fast feedback LUGR (and thanks for the others like joker or mr. yuck for taking this time and giving so constructive and high quality critique btw)

I think i know what you mean by blobbed-out letters. Probably the A,T,N on the blue/pink piece or the A and N on the piece below that. Ive tried to bring some variety into it by not always cutting the bar with a straight line but I can see how it looks kinda weird now so thanks for that.

I did a quick redo of my pen sketch, without the wonky legs. Ive tried to refine it as well and did a second sketch, tho i had trouble  adding stuff/making new versions without changing up the original sketch too much.

E3658262-95AA-4399-A30A-E54BC9108F84_1_105_c.jpeg

4D984180-C998-465C-98B6-F6F8CC999E78_1_105_c.jpeg

Looking better. Keep sketching and reworking them. These letters have some pretty cool flow and options for connections.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Big Teetas said:

man this site is so different. i also cant find my posts before 2011. bugger. 

anyway thats a freestyle thats unfinished but i like it.

Welcome back! Lots of updates have happened to the forum and more improvements are scheduled. Some posts from way back have unfortunately disappeared.

Sketch is nice. My suggestion is the U seems really tiny compared to the rest of the letters.

3 hours ago, LUGR said:

Welcome back! Lots of updates have happened to the forum and more improvements are scheduled. Some posts from way back have unfortunately disappeared.

Sketch is nice. My suggestion is the U seems really tiny compared to the rest of the letters.

its called a quote. ive figured that one. yeah and its a shame alot of hosting sites seem to have just purged their collection or shut down.

yeah the u is small. just happened to be like that. its like a semi wild i guess.

my styles been the same for awhile. similar but different. it depends on how i place the lines..

i think the K is too big. but overall the composition seems to work, for me. i had to add doo dads to fill in my negitive

Edited by Big Teetas
  • Like 1