Illustrator

dosoner

When you design graphics using photoshop you have to build it at the maximum estimated print size, which generally makes the file size huge compared to a vector graphic.

If it's built as a vector graphic in illustrator the file size is much smaller, and it can be scaled to fit whatever print size you'd like to use.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lately ive been working almost exclusivley digitally, i usually add all my textures in photoshop. there a lot of different methods for getting different looks, but i never knew you could add texture in illustrator, might explore that in my next few pieces. (cool story bro0)

When you design graphics using photoshop you have to build it at the maximum estimated print size, which generally makes the file size huge compared to a vector graphic.

If it's built as a vector graphic in illustrator the file size is much smaller, and it can be scaled to fit whatever print size you'd like to use.

which is exactly why I dont ever stray from vector.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks dude! yeah i recently got a new graphics tablet (was using a Wacom Bamboo touch, copped a Wacom Intuos4 off Amazon) so been messing around with some portraits amongst other things.

Love your work man, I've no clue what so ever, on how to do anything like this, Just cant get my head around the software and programs..

I've been thinking of getting a Graphics tablet to draw shit straight on to my PC than having paper, blackbooks all around the place.

Just thought it might be handy in buying a Graphics tab to draw some rough sketches etc.

Is there anything I need to know before getting one? I'm pure clueless when it comes to stuff like this..I want something thats pretty decent, but don't have to be a professional one, Just something to use or get used too. I don't care if its wireless or not, as long as it draws good lines etc.

I'm thinking of investing in a new laptop when windows 8 comes out, so prob get a half decent pen then.

If you have any suggestions or info, could you please let me know..

Cheers man..

PS Props on the work!!!!!!!!

Nice one..

pZ.

6335707230980i.jpg

6336016659837i.jpg

The "Backyard Boogaloo" guys are putting on an album launch party for Fliptrix, the head of UK hip-hop label High Focus Records, and seeing as i've done them a couple posters in the past they came to me to put something together for it.

As usual, the Winchester, High Focus, Eats N Beatz and Boogaloo logo's aren't mine. Just layout and illustration and whatever whatever.

Love your work man, I've no clue what so ever, on how to do anything like this, Just cant get my head around the software and programs..

I've been thinking of getting a Graphics tablet to draw shit straight on to my PC than having paper, blackbooks all around the place.

Just thought it might be handy in buying a Graphics tab to draw some rough sketches etc.

Is there anything I need to know before getting one? I'm pure clueless when it comes to stuff like this..I want something thats pretty decent, but don't have to be a professional one, Just something to use or get used too. I don't care if its wireless or not, as long as it draws good lines etc.

I'm thinking of investing in a new laptop when windows 8 comes out, so prob get a half decent pen then.

If you have any suggestions or info, could you please let me know..

Cheers man..

PS Props on the work!!!!!!!!

Nice one..

pZ.

Thanks for the kind words man, means alot!

I worked with vectors a bit in the past at my first graphic design job, i copped a Wacom tablet but never really got used to using it much and as it came with a mouse, ended up using it just as a mouse really. After a while i lost the pen to it and i moved away for uni and just really forgot about it, fast forward a couple years and i was trying to get into the freelance game and was having a hard time getting what i was doing on paper to the computer effectively so i figured i'd give working with a tablet another go.

The tablet i got this time around was a "Bamboo Touch" by Wacom, in the small size. They do different versions that have different features, some can be used as a touch pad, some are wireless, that kind of thing. Generally though as long as it's got a pen you're good. I found it a bit strange at first, mostly looking forwards at a screen instead of looking down at where the pen is, that kind of thing. But after a while you get the hang of it.

I found the best way to get myself into it was to draw on paper, then scan it in or take a flick of it and draw over it using the tablet.

After about a year of messing around and getting used to it i figured i'd treat myself to a better tablet and got a "Intuos 4" by Wacom. Whilst i had no complaints using the "Bamboo", the leap in quality, at least in my eyes, is pretty massive and worth every penny. I honestly couldn't recommend either tablet enough. Both come with software that walks you through set-up and gets you started pretty easily.

40270729929933678837118.jpg

33030729942374010926418.jpg

One thing to take note of is that prices can jump up if you start looking at bigger tablets, but unless you really need a big drawing space, don't bother spending the extra moolah. I've found the small sized tablets to be plenty in terms of drawing space. Plus it's easy to forget that the tablets themselves are bigger than just the drawing area, so when you jump up a size or two, they can take up more desk space than you may think.

There's alot of tutorials that are easy to follow that can help get you up and running, i've found youtube to be pretty handy for that kind of thing, aswell as websites such as http://vector.tutsplus.com/ and http://abduzeedo.com/ amongst others.

Hope this helps! If there's anything else feel free to ask dude, and thanks again for the props on the work front, much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived