GOOD ART COLLEGES YOU KNOW OF?

Chesty Laru

your local saic is ok. supposedly good painting department. not a whole lot of good painting coming out of it though. columbia has a good tech photo program.

milkwakuee, sf, sva, minneapolis, savannah, boston, all of these serve their purpose. pick what u think you might want to study most and find which has the best programs for that area of study.

art school is full of fucking lost kids. hipsters, rich trust fund kids, etc. whatever though, if you are a "normal" looking kid then its whatever. you arent forced to socialize with these other types so theres no need to worry about them. if you want to learn about art then go to art school. its that simple. if you like making art and want a better understanding of it in some way or another through an institutionalized fashion, go to art school. if you dont think its best for you, then dont waste yer money. i'm not a real big fan of the massive amounts of loans i have to take out to pay for it, but then again i think it will work out in the end according to my field of study.

saic=20-25000 a year

columbia=15-20000 a year i think

other art schools are all probably at least 18000 a year while i think other spots can get up to 30some a year.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I go to UCLA... art isn't my major but I did decide to take an art class. You guys are right, that place is filled with a bunch of emotional kids that look at everything from a "poetical standpoint" it seems. I guess it's normal for the females to be emo, but even they're overly emo in that class.

But yeah to someone who mentioned it... art institutes aren't for people trying to teach you how to think/draw... if you got talent and skills, those places are just to enhance your ability, and hopefully make you better. If you could never draw worth a lick then it ain't for you. I grew up just drawing and doing graff. But at college they'll break it down to a science and reveal shit you weren't conciously aware of.

i'm gonna lose toughguy points by admitting this, but i'm an artschool graduate. i started at pratt, dropped out after 2 yrs when i also basically dropped out of society to live on a remote island in hawaii (molokai,) then rejoined society and moved to boston (over a girl who dumped me soon after... minus another 1000 toughguy points) and finished my last 2 years at massart. so here's what i think based on my experience:

pratt--i mostly agree with everything gatita said. however i think you only get a good education if you major in a commercial art (graphic design, illustration, especially industrial design, etc...) studying fine arts there is basically a waste of time and $100,000. trust fund pricks were a major annoyance.

massart--basically the same as pratt, although i personally preferred massart due to the tuition being like 95% cheaper than pratt. one semester at pratt cost me more than 2.5 years at massart, even with the $15,000 a year in scholarships i had at pratt. overall massart kids were more down to earth. although pratt had way better graf writers. again, if you major in glassblowing or something you're wasting your time.

i also got into risd, but i declined because they didn't give me enough financial aid and the people i encountered there were really pretentious douchebags. in the end, it really doesn't matter where you went to school. all that matters in the "art world" is your portfolio and your connections, and unfortunately sometimes the 2nd one is more important. so if you don't have rich parents, you need to bust your ass or art school is a complete waste.

^^^

to a degree both of em are true. You dont need to follow the advice of everyone, but if you hear it, that gives you more choices on which to use. Me, i go to art school, my first year kicked my ass, they give you lots of work to make sure you can handle pressure. Also, i wouldnt normally have taken a painting or drawing class, but first year, everyone takes same, so im glad i did, now i miss my figure drawing classes. I definetly have improved, no way could i have done this much by myself, with no teachers, i wouldnt have the motivation.

Some of you people are fuckin jokes....

First off I pay for all my shit, not everyone who is interested in ART is rich, you ignorant retards. Some people look for ways to actually do something with their talents, other than make CD covers for local bands and trucker hats for graff groupies.

Im not going to school to paint fuckin portraits or abstract trees. Im looking to get involved in animation, digital art or even advertising. Im just coming on here asking peoples opinions about schools they may know of.

Anyways I live in Chicago and well I been checking of Columbia College of Chicago, anyone know about Columbia?

Thank to the people who are actually helpin out...

Re: Some of you people are fuckin jokes....

First off I pay for all my shit, not everyone who is interested in ART is rich, you ignorant retards. Some people look for ways to actually do something with their talents, other than in getting involved in animation, digital art or even advertising.

Im going to school to paint fuckin portraits or abstract trees. . cause i'm interested in ART, not animation, digital art and advertising.

for real tho

I don't know how it works in the US. But what you described would be more Graphic Design, Visual Communications and Animation more than an art degree as such...

chesty- just go to the school admissions, and ask to follow someone of the major your interested in around for a day. You go to class, talk to the students, get a general idea of the college. Ask them what the best school for graphic design is. Simple questions. But you cant tell unless you go there. Ive visited that college once. I personally didnt like it that much, but it had little to do with industrial design i think.

edit:chesty...you got mail

Bodice....

I go to art school for "Communications Design"... your definition of art seems different than mine, but to me any creative expression is art, whether fashion, fine art, sculpture, graphic design, advertisement, architecture, dance, theatre is art... what you do [from the sounds of it] would be qualified as "fine art."

Im not trying to jump on you, but it seems like the kids who go to art schools/did go/are just flat out 'artists' are jumping on the naysayers of 12oz. Maybe yahll aren't used to the bs that the 'norm' gives out to artists, I know I am, but yehh.. take it easy kids.

And, many artists come from rich families. Look at even VanGogh, what an asshole, he lived off of his younger brother for years, didnt work, tried building his own artists colony type deal and failed.. you have to understand both opinions. BUT, many artists come from poor families as well, it goes both ways, people just notice the rich hipster trust fund kids more.

Anyway thats enough of my ramblings.

Originally posted by gatita

Bodice....

I go to art school for "Communications Design"... your definition of art seems different than mine, but to me any creative expression is art, whether fashion, fine art, sculpture, graphic design, advertisement, architecture, dance, theatre is art... what you do [from the sounds of it] would be qualified as "fine art."

Im not trying to jump on you, but it seems like the kids who go to art schools/did go/are just flat out 'artists' are jumping on the naysayers of 12oz. Maybe yahll aren't used to the bs that the 'norm' gives out to artists, I know I am, but yehh.. take it easy kids.

I was merely pointing out that the areas he said he would like to specialize in were outside the scope of a Fine Art degree in Ireland, by and large. when I finish my degree, I will have a BA in either Print, Sculpture, Painting or Interdisciplinary Studies (ie, I couldn't make my mind up).

I am constantly irritated by the artsy, eilitist, poorly-explored, nonsensical, snotty, rehashed, post-modern, self serving, tree-huggin, soul-destroying, name-dropping, politics-laden bullshit that passes of lectures, and i WANTED to go to art college.... Imagine if I had really wanted to do Animation or Graphic Design....

I'm not saying it's not art, i'm saying there might be more approriate/helpful courses that cover those areas....

...bodice...i don't know if you've heard much of this before, but getting a BA in a studio program might give you some issues in the future...if you go on to a grad program, make sure you go after a MFA...i know of quite a few people that had to go back to school for a year or two to get a BFA instead of a BA to get some of the work they were after...

Originally posted by porque

...bodice...i don't know if you've heard much of this before, but getting a BA in a studio program might give you some issues in the future...if you go on to a grad program, make sure you go after a MFA...i know of quite a few people that had to go back to school for a year or two to get a BFA instead of a BA to get some of the work they were after...

you've lost me completely. I'm assuming if BA is Bachelor of Art then BFA is Bachelor of Fine Art.

I don't know what technical distinction you are trying to make. The college website says at the end of the course you get:

"Award

Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) of name of my college here with grades of Pass, Lower Second Class Honours, Upper Second Class Honours or First Class Honours."

i don't know if "BFAs" exist in Ireland. I do intend to do a masters, preferably somewhere outside of ireland, and definitely not in this college...

Archived