bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I could just buy a new cassette. Id rather try and fix it though because I dont have much extra money for this

it sounds like something with the threads is messed up. so unless you can braze, have a metal lathe and also the right sized and right threaded tap (or is it die?) your going to have to buy something new.

• Like 1

YO! That bike is nice. About that cassette, the more you pedal the more it tightens on the hub. But if it just keeps coming off then maybe the threads are stripped. Which sucks, because that means you need to get a new hub...which is not cheap at all.

I always thought it was a scam from bike companies to make a hub thread of thin aluminum and have the cassette, freewheel, or cog of nice high grade cromoly or steel. Perfect combination of stripping threads or cross threading.

started welding a frame together. luckily theres a steel bike in the shop thats already been stripped for parts so i have a bb and headset to use.

the top tube is going to be 2 separate rods that connect to the sides of the headset, then the gap between them (its a tad over a inch) widens past the seatpost and connects to the top of the dropouts. atleast thats the plan. i may cut the two rods right at the seatpost because i dont feel like trying to get that bend perfect. id have to outsource for that if i wanted to do it half accurately.

and when building a frame, how do you know what length to make the stuff? im mimmicking my road bike but i have no idea what angle the headset should be at etc. and ive never been fitted so i have no sizing to go off of...

I kind of missed this the first time around. I just got done brazing my first lugged steel frame and it was quite a bit more complex than I originally thought. Not the brazing part, and I know you're welding so that shouldn't be so bad, but getting the angles and alignment correct are a pain in the ass. I built mine without a jig but I did have an alignment table to adjust and coldset everything. Lots of tacking, moving, checking, setting, rechecking etc... Got everything straight it just took a lot of patience.

Next frame I'll have a jig available to build on which will save a shit ton of headaches - but first I gotta clean up all the fucking extra brass and file the lugs and dropouts on this one - it's certainly not the prettiest frame but once it's cleaned an painted it should be presentable. I've got some process pics and I'll try to post some once it's finished if anyone is interested.

Good luck on yours, it's fucking fun and rewarding.

post them up for sure!

im using a "semi" jig that i found an instructable for, it was easy to make with what i had so i made it. right now im taking a little break and trying to track down the right bb shell that doesnt have lugs and the same with a headset. which is basically just me being lazy and not going down to the lbs and asking. I had to make a roll cage for an off road camera truck to film a scene on top of a train that went through the desert. it was a huge pain in the ass and i probably used up 3 angle grinder wheels grinding through welds but it was rewarding when it was done. im predicting building a frame will be quite similar...

rode a digital DA dressed tarmac SL3 this afternoon.

the bike does not give at all underneath you, which i suppose might be tempered by the fact that i generally ride steel. haha tempered, get it. and as far as the shifting goes, i rode the cable actuated group too and over all shimano stepped it up with the 7900. almost has that campagnolo crunch.

So I got most of the silver off. Theres tons of scrapes where the powder coat has been scraped down to the steel. Is there anything i can do at home to fix this without powder coating the bike? What about if i used automotive spray paint? And I bought some bar tape tonight. They didnt have white so I bought yellow. Next on my list is white wall tires. Woo

Edit: Doing bar tape sucks.

jon, try to layer the tape so you go over half of it every fold. also it's going to be hard to find white walls for a road bike, so you're most likely going to have to order them online or from your LBS, i'd say online because you're going to get a better price, most LBSs have a pretty high markup on stuff like that.

No clue what an LBS is. But ill make sure to look around online when I get the extra money for them.

With the bar tape, I watched 2 tutorial videos and I overlapped it 1/3-1/2 all the way around.

Also, when I was sanding more off the bike earlier i uncovered a sticker that says "custom made" right under the top tube. Is this marketing bullshit or possibly legit?

rode a digital DA dressed tarmac SL3 this afternoon.

the bike does not give at all underneath you, which i suppose might be tempered by the fact that i generally ride steel. haha tempered, get it. and as far as the shifting goes, i rode the cable actuated group too and over all shimano stepped it up with the 7900. almost has that campagnolo crunch.

call me crazy but i'd be way more stoked to have campy 11-speed.

shimano copied sram straight on the new DA brake hoods. and the new campy hoods look slightly more shimano-like yet still distinctively campagnolo.

p.s.

this is fucking awesome.

TB_Leadvillebike01.JPG

lance's leadville bike is cool and all, but travis brown running hoods/drops takes the cake. i can't wait to try running super-wide road drops on this ss 29er i'm getting ready to acquire...