bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

You should, also check out the BMX thread. Lots of riders and oldschoolers like yourself.

I have been riding BMX since I was a kid in the 80s as well. I still ride and its awesome

i first started riding bmx in ABA and for fun in 1984 and i rode my old roommates new school bmx to work a few weeks ago after riding a track and road bikes for the last 10 years straight and my arms and shoulders were fucked for the next week. im not even sure why (even though im 6'4") new bmx's even have saddles. i wouldnt have a problem riding an old performer or pro series or hutch from the eighties, but i couldnt do it now as transportation. tomorrow is my new bike day, copped an 83 schwinn mountain bike all original full suntour for $85. i needs a beater.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Rubbish... I did not do Pain on the Peak. I went out the night before to celebrate with some friends and ended up celebrating a little too much. Kinda bummed me out as I wanted to get that first cross race of the season under my belt. Looks like you did pretty well for someone who's not a climber!!

I guess I'll open the season with Hood River, Sunday's race. Gotta get the tubulars mounted this week!!

Does anyone have any tricks or tips to getting threadless headsets tight? I have been trying and trying to get mine tight and it's not happening.

Only guess on the HS issue is the steer tube is a hair too long and the bolt threads can't engage enough...

Yeah PotP was fun! I'm a definite believer in SS cross now. Tons of fun, less maintenance, less worrying and more mashing; 42/17 worked pretty well out there - the uphills hurt for sure but I could make up plenty more time in the flats and downhills. All in all, riding Firelanes 1, 5 and Mt. Tabor has helped a good deal on my handling skills, and the biggest epiphany I've had has been to ride in the drops for 90% of the race because control is just so much more fluid and precise when my center of gravity is lower.

Man, cross is fucking awesome. Worlds more exciting than road, although I still have a special place for track and crits. Got 3 more races for the rest of the month in Eugene, then Cross Crusade starts...

Agreed. Cross is definitely more fun that road... more engaging, but like you I still dig the road. I, too, have found that riding in the drops on the technical stuff is way better. Firelane 5 is still sketchy for me because of the headset issue... but I'll get there.

Nice! I've never messed around with that race. I'm usually in rest mode this time of year in order to be ready to go for off-season training come October, so I've never done it. I've heard it's pretty fun, though.

I think I got my headset fixed. I actually snapped the bolt from tightening it too hard (yes, I know... I need a NM wrench) but thankfully I have the same headset on my road bike so I was able to fix it pretty quickly. I would go test it out right now but it's pouring down rain... and I'm not ready for that shit just yet.

Hey guys. I want to get a new bag. I've had a chrome for the last few years but I'm sick of the buckle and people always trying to press it, plus I want something with a laptop compartment. I have my bag with me all the time and put it through quite a bit, so I am willing to spend money on the higher end stuff. I've been looking online and am leaning towards mission workshop, reload or seagull bags. Anyone on here rockin something other than timbuk2 or chrome that can give some recommendations?

Count...

So I am going through my training log from last year (October 1st - December 31st) and there is a lot of base mile training staying in zone 2 with some zone 3 intervals. And, of course, some gym work thrown in.

Typical week in October looked like this :

Sunday - Zone 2 pace, 3 x 10 minute zone 3 intervals, 3-5 minutes rest between intervals - 3 hours

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Strength Training

Wednesday - Zone 2 pace, zones 3 & 4 on the hills - 2 hours

Thursday - Active recovery ride, include 5 jumps, 1 minute rest between jumps - 2 hours

Friday - Strength Training

Saturday - Zone 2 pace, 2 x 5 jumps, 1 minute rest between jumps, 5 minute rest between interval - 3-4 hours

November was much of the same except there was a one 20 minute TT effort to gauge power output... which you could do using a HR monitor if you wanted.

The 3 x 10 minute zone 3 intervals became 2 x 20 minute intervals for much of the month. The last week of the month it was 2 x 30 minutes.

Keep in mind this schedule is based on the 3 weeks on and 1 week off method. So I would train hard for 3 weeks and then I would have a rest week, which typically looked like this :

Sunday - Zone 2 - 45minutes

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Strength Training

Wednesday - Zone 2, 1 x 30 minute interval zone 3 - 60 minutes

Thursday - Zone 2 - 60 minutes

Friday - Strength Training

Saturday - Zone 2 - 60 minutes

• Like 1