bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Thanks for the input. I think i would chose the crosscheck, but it looks like the surlys - and all the other modern frames I've looked at - have a 1-1/8" headtube, which pretty much rules out threaded altogether i think. fuck. Or am I wrong? I really want to stick with threaded.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I like the look of a quill stem

I know how to overhaul/adjust/replace a threaded headset, no experience with threadless

I like having the option to adjust the height of the stem, instead of cutting the fork and being stuck with it

maybe I'll just have to give in though

what's good ?

race season is in full effect - anyone mixing it up? rubbish?? joker??

my "campaign" is going well so far, looking to really turn it up in the next month.

even got to race a P/1/2/3 field last month and managed 3rd overall. gotta love those t-shirts!

racing tomorrow — wish me luck.

4ba9443a907811e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

looking into getting a mtn.bike this week.

but i am really not sure what frames to even look at, i know all the obvious choices....giant, trek, cannondale etc.

but not sure where to start, thought you guys might have some good ideas.

i want a 29er, thinking hardtail but i am a big dude(275lbs) and i would prefer not to have to worry about going easy downhill etc.

budget is about 1,200 tops...

29ers are awesome, i love mine.

the weight thing i don't know, if you're serious (i feel that spending 1200 is serious) i'd recommend checking in on mtbr.com and reading the 29er forum threads for clydesdales (big dudes).

otherwise i'm going to tell you to get a steel frame, consider going rigid, definitely consider 1x9 or SS.

by going with those obvious brands you can get better components on your bike for the budget, but you might not end up with the coolest or best frame.

Any of you guys run too? Thoughts on running? I've avoided it for eight years but recently i did a "mud run" which was a 5k obstacle course thing with some friends of mine and I realized running on dirt doesnt hurt my knee. I bought some "support" trail running shoes and started running eight miles every other day with cycling. Maybe at some point I'll do some triathlons, if for anything just as an excuse to own a tt bike.

Also

CnoUOl.jpg

That's a white shirt.

• 2 weeks later...
Any of you guys run too? Thoughts on running? I've avoided it for eight years but recently i did a "mud run" which was a 5k obstacle course thing with some friends of mine and I realized running on dirt doesnt hurt my knee. I bought some "support" trail running shoes and started running eight miles every other day with cycling. Maybe at some point I'll do some triathlons, if for anything just as an excuse to own a tt bike.

Also

CnoUOl.jpg

That's a white shirt.

I'm in to running as well... 4-5 miles daily. My knees have always given me problems from playing baseball for so long (catcher.... /nh). Trail running is hella fun, easy on the joints and much nicer views than on the street. If you start getting weird knee pings and pains, look into getting braces from your local running shoe store for "runners knee." They are only like 10 beans a piece and will make your runs muuuuchhh more enjoyable. Also, if you incorporate a long day in running (10-20 miles), you may want to look into compression socks or sleeves for your calves/quads. I have some CEP comp sleeves and socks and they make the run less painful and even better for recovery.

I'm into Tri's as well but can't afford a TT bike yet, just my road bike with clip on aero bars. If you decide to start getting into triathlon, practice brick training, your legs will be jello on the bike to run transition.

Good reading (Triathlon forum crack):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/category-view.asp

Also

CnoUOl.jpg

Hollister? I did one there this month. I hate running and don't know how to do it, first time doing a footrace, obstacles were a joke - running was a pain in the ass. Did better than I expected I would. Starting to run more to work up to a Tuff Mudder.

Bike-wise, I'm looking for a decent road bike - I've been riding fixed for too long and like most people I've realized that I want to get more out of the road. Anyone have suggestions on road bikes around 1K? Good used models to look for on CL? I've been eyeing CAAD9-10's and some Specialized but really don't have much of a baseboard to judge these things with.

Racing a crummy alley cat next weekend. Trying to get more track days in too.

I need some help guys. I got a bike from an uncle a while ago and I've started repairing it

This is a bike just like it:

The brake lever hoods were rotten and melted so I removed them with the old handle bar wrap.

I had no idea how difficult it would be to find replacement hoods

These are the brakes:

20120524_193652.jpg T

20120524_193732-1.jpg

I've found what I think the name of them is:

Dia-compe Gran-Compe 400 (ngc 400)

Here's a pix of them NIB:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Diacompe/GC500_brakes/photos/photo1.html

photo1.jpg

But I can't find them any where online. I'm taking the bike into a shop tomorrow hoping to get someone who knows enough to help me out. I'm trying here as a second option. Any chance one of you guys can help me out?

Should I just upgrade to an aero setup? Id like to keep this thing as vintage as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

20120525_170803.jpg

Welp, got the hoods. Managed to rip one hood and fuck up a brake cable during installation. Props to the bike mechs. Shit is Hella frustrating.I'm not used to working with stuff this fragile.

Any thoughts on cleat placement? I've been riding with mine just about under the "ball" of my big toe, making it a bit forward of the "ball" of my whole foot maybe. Kept having my right toes go numb so I'm trying moving them back or maybe inward. How do you have yours set up?

Also any one overhauled eggbeaters before? Pretty easy?

Goat Jug, you're in the bay? That was Survivor Mud run in some cornfield out towards Tracy. http://survivormudrun.com/ If you're into mud and chicks then there's a thousand reasons to go next year.

Minus, i do have have a hard time loosening up my calves. I looked online and found something called "the stick" but i dunno if its worth the $30, or if there's something else i can do. Lunge stretching doesnt seem to do enough. If you or anyone else has tried any leg massaging things let me know.

Blahh, I've never payed that much attention to cleat placement. A shop will align it with the ball of your big toe, and center it to the middle of your heel. If you have a hard time placing the cleats, just start by pushing them all the way back and move them incrementally (1 mm) forward if something doesnt feel right. Just make sure your cleats are straight, and your feet are flat and facing forward when you pedal.

i can't decide how much of a douche i would be if i laced my old 105 hubs to deep-v's...?

thoughts?

These Wolber rims have seen better days....

On the subject of fixed gear freestyle: I think it's about as cool as long-boarding.

I ride my '88 Sirrus the same way I ride my T-1 (another possible reason why the Wolbers are on the outs)

Goat Jug, you're in the bay? That was Survivor Mud run in some cornfield out towards Tracy. http://survivormudrun.com/ If you're into mud and chicks then there's a thousand reasons to go next year.

Minus, i do have have a hard time loosening up my calves. I looked online and found something called "the stick" but i dunno if its worth the $30, or if there's something else i can do. Lunge stretching doesnt seem to do enough. If you or anyone else has tried any leg massaging things let me know.

Blahh, I've never payed that much attention to cleat placement. A shop will align it with the ball of your big toe, and center it to the middle of your heel. If you have a hard time placing the cleats, just start by pushing them all the way back and move them incrementally (1 mm) forward if something doesnt feel right. Just make sure your cleats are straight, and your feet are flat and facing forward when you pedal.

I wouldn't invest in the stick as of now. Try these stretches:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--8969-0,00.html

also, my favorite stretch is calve dips off of a curb. Go low and slow and don't bounce. I noticed the longer the stretch, the less pains later.

As a side note, I have similar issues with cleat issues. Any ride over 20 miles makes my toes go numb. Not sure if it is cleat placement or just cheap shoes. If I had the extra money, I'd go to my LBS and pay for a proper fit.

Well... hello there

Soup - get the stick. It's invaluable for working out the kinks. You know you're doing it right when it's hurting... if that makes any sense. I usually roll around the calf and IT band till I find a particulalry sore spot, and then just dig at it. I also have one of those little massage balls that works awesome, but you can get the same effect with a tennis ball. It's phenomenal for working out kinks in muscles. And of course... the foam roller. Each one does it's own thing but I've found them all to be a great 'go to' when I'm having issues.

Blah - cleat placement is so tricky and really personal. If you can afford to have someone professionally fit your cleats, do it. The measurements they take, the video to monitor fore/aft and all that wack-a-doo stuff really does make a difference. Also, insoles really help. You can pay around $125 for custom ones that are amazing, or you can go with SOLE insoles that are heat moldable and do a pretty damn good job. Insoles take a few rides to get used to but once you do, you'll notice a difference. If you can't afford a cleat fitting, definitely go with the insoles and work out your fitting on your own. It's a huge pain in the ass to do yourself, but it can be done.

I'm still riding, just not as much due to work. I'm starting to ramp things up, though, thanks to the weather getting nicer and the desire to be fit come September for CX season. What sucks is that I live in Seattle most of the time and only get home to Portland a few weekends a month. Trying to learn all the good riding roads in Seattle has been a struggle, considering my work schedule, so I've been stuck with the same three loops since November. A little bored, but still getting out there.

Hope everyone is doing good...

• 2 weeks later...