INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Did a little research and found out that potassium permanganate is soluble in acetone, yet only decomposed by alcohol. My question for 60F1 is, wouldn't it be better to disolve the PP in acetone rather than alcohol, and than add it to your recipe? Seems like killing two birds with one stone, almost.

Re: Re: New Ink Recipe

Originally posted by completionz

would shellac also work for making something like garvey good for streets...like help stop it from fading?

Won't stop it from fading. Besides, Garvey already has a polyamid resin in it that subsitutes for shellac. Now, if you could find some shit that protects from UV like the additives from 1-Shot or other sign paint companies. Won't work with ink that well. Maybe some kind of urethane with UV protection. UV is what fades your ink...

Be seeing you.

Originally posted by rubbish heap

Did a little research and found out that potassium permanganate is soluble in acetone, yet only decomposed by alcohol. My question for 60F1 is, wouldn't it be better to disolve the PP in acetone rather than alcohol, and than add it to your recipe? Seems like killing two birds with one stone, almost.

But, remember, you only use a very little bit of acetone or you will melt your marker. Acetone is vile to plastics and you don't really want more than 10% in your recipe. You raise a valid point, though. I don't know how much acetone would be the proper amount. Experiment.

Now I've got to think more. Thanks. :D

OK, perhaps it would be good to make two mixes. One would be the acetone/permanganate and the other would be the alcohol/permanganate. Then, use those instead of regular alcohol and acetone in your mixes. That way, you've got some oxidiser acting on your surface no matter what.

Be seeing you.

Spilling Garvey or Fiebing's in your kitchen sink is the worst. If you can get away with using someone else's bathroom sink, preferably the gas station's or your local Wendy's, there is no reason to fret about messes and spilled inks. I guess I've just gotten super careful, though.

That's what good oxidisers are for. Strip the ink right out of yer sink. I use that Clorox gel stuff and it seems to burn almost everything right out...

Be seeing you.

i got some Pearl Ex today. had it at Pearls art store. bunch of nice colors. i went with the metallic red. it is much finer than any glitter i have ever seen and it should flow thru most any marker nib. definitely something to check out if u wanna add some more flavor to your ink.

how much shellac (percentage wise) should be in your ink mix? like 5-10?

Originally posted by deathmetal.

i got some Pearl Ex today. had it at Pearls art store. bunch of nice colors. i went with the metallic red. it is much finer than any glitter i have ever seen and it should flow thru most any marker nib. definitely something to check out if u wanna add some more flavor to your ink.

how much shellac (percentage wise) should be in your ink mix? like 5-10?

The interference colours are hella dope. All of them will flow through markers fine. I thought that the macropearl wouldn't, but it will through a valve marker.

I wouldn't go more than 10% on the shellac. That's the most I tend to put in my recipes. If you're adding shellac, try adding up, but not more than, 5% acetone to help it all stay mixed.

Be seeing you.

OK, took a little more time to think about this.

Since it only decomposes in alcohol that makes using alcohol a bit useless.

So, you're on the right track. I would dissolved as much permanganate as possible into a given volume of acetone. Say, 100ml. Add some PP and get it to dissolve. Add more, do the same. Do this until no more will dissolve. Filter out the chunks and save your "super acetone" to add to inks. Not too much. Maybe instead of using straight alcohol in ink recipes, one could use 25% of the acetone/PP and 75% alcohol. I've got inks that have around 25% total volume of acetone and they don't melt the marker (yet).

If this is confusing, as I've had a tendency to be the last couple of days, feel free to ask away. I haven't messed with permanganate in a long time. Looks like I need to buy some and get working... :idea:

Be seeing you.