INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

OK, I'm hungry, I've got to go to work and I haven't got up a single tag today, so I am out of here until at least to-morrow.

I don't know why no-one can email me from here, but I'll see what's up with that.

6OF1 out.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

anybody use sumi ink before?

i really wanted a nice, opaque black ink, whether hard to buff or not. i was already sure it sucked, but not to this magnitude. i decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, and consequently wasted a gardencraft with it. for me, it only worked on unfinished wood and paper. surfaces it didn't work on: aluminum, plastic, and fishished wood.

anyone else ever use it before?

Guest sneak

corio is nice.

it has nice colours (purple is my fav. but blue works well too)

it has a tendancy to ade though in spots where the sun hits, but thats after a while.

a bitch to get off your hands / clothes though.

Originally posted by destroya

anybody use sumi ink before?

i really wanted a nice, opaque black ink, whether hard to buff or not. i was already sure it sucked, but not to this magnitude. i decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, and consequently wasted a gardencraft with it. for me, it only worked on unfinished wood and paper. surfaces it didn't work on: aluminum, plastic, and fishished wood.

anyone else ever use it before?

Yes, I've used sumi ink, both hand-ground and pre-mixed. Sumi ink is good for sumi, which I suck at. When it gets wet, it goes back to being ink again, like gouache goes back to being paint when it gets wet. Not suitable for getting up at all. Waterproof india ink would be a better bet if you were looking for a carbon pigment based ink. (Black Cat is the best and cheapest I've ever found.)

Be seeing you.

Bad News

Looks like Sanford doesn't make the purple stamp pad ink anymore.

And, the two bottles I thought I had were actually blues. They were at the back of the cabinet and I just assumed they were purple.

Crap.

Time to find a substitute.

On the other hand, the Permanent Black ("Jet Black") looks useful...

Check it out

I mean, it even has "POISON" on the label -- it has to be awesome.

Also, Cosco (who make Garvey) have stamp pad ink as well.

Be seeing you.

one shot all the way...that shit comes in leathal colors and is glossy as hell...plus it drips really nice and covers good...that's hard to come by with most homade paint...usually rusto bucket (except for the silver of coarse) either covers good but doesn't really drip, or drips nice but doesn't cover good... one shot with a little bit of mineral spirits(or better yet one shot thinner) in a stamp pad eraser = a fun time

Re: WHAT THE FUCK

Originally posted by WhiteOx

ok so i aquired some violet garvey and was horrified

it fades..I dropped a tag three days ago and its faded dramatically to a fuken grey colour -

also it doesnt stain..I have been hitting places that i know get the buff and there has been no stain whatsover

to make matters worse i dropped a tag on a desk..the next day i tried to buff it and i rubbed it off with a fucken pencil eraser with EASE!!!

wHAT THE FuCK???

I've been giving this some thought and it occurred to me that there were some things that I haven't expounded upon as of yet.

Inks made from or mixed with stamp pad and/or price marking inks take longer to dry. They're more susceptible to buffing during the first day or two they're up. This includes being affected by the weather. Mixing with a marker ink like Marsh, Nero or OTR484 will speed the drying time somewhat, but the same rule applies.

This is not entirely a bad thing, since the dyes in the ink(s) will have longer to work the surface they're on.

Using straight Sanford or Garvey is almost a waste of time, because they will stay wet too long. You don't want your ink to dry too fast, but you also don't want it to dry too slow, either.

So, keep this in mind and keep the stamping and pricing inks to about 50% max of your mixture. With stamp pad ink I would even hesitate to go above 25%. A lot of stamping inks contain glycerine to keep them from drying up in the pad. This causes them to dry very slowly, so you don't want too much -- besides, stamping ink goes a long way.

Garvey contains a proprietary "polyamid resin mixture". This is to make it waterproof once it has dried. I'm doing a few experiments with shellac and laquer added to inks to see if I can increase their resistance to weather and buff...

Be seeing you.

Re: Update

Originally posted by HÁgeir

You can also scrape of the top layer of a cd for a glitter effect (easy, fast and original)

First off -- you're Icelandic? Wow. Well, in that case:

Gleður mig að kynnast þér

That sounds like a lot of work to get the same effect as adding some of the PearlEx pigments. Good for taking out your frustration on bad CDs, though.

Be seeing you.

nah, that's not the problem. when i first got my baby biggie, i took rinses advice and switched the valve with a regular zig valve. upon doing this, i examined them, and the part of the valve that gets pushed down is different. it's shaped so that more fluid comes out when depressed.

here's a rough diagram of the tip:

|

|___

| ¯¯--i

| __--'

|¯¯¯

|

if you don't get it, get a fresh baby biggie and a fresh zig of any other kind.

i was wondering if black fiebings is just as staining as violet. cuz all the shoe stores around here carry only black and shades of brown, i wouldnt imagine many stores would carry purple for shoes. so if someone could give me an answer if black is as good as violet it would be appreciated.

Originally posted by johndoe

i was wondering if black fiebings is just as staining as violet. cuz all the shoe stores around here carry only black and shades of brown, i wouldnt imagine many stores would carry purple for shoes. so if someone could give me an answer if black is as good as violet it would be appreciated.

I don't know about black, but see if you can get red, its the next best thing next to purple. You can get 4oz purple Fiebings off of ebay for $4.50 + $2.50 shipping. I imagine black would be good because it can't be any different then Griffin, they are both pretty much the same product. You already know its going to stain, just because its a different color isn't going to mean its complete shite, but purple will just stain better.. I would go for it.

Guest sneak

Re: Re: another update !

Originally posted by Locofanclub

Ozek as in the one and only iceman in the UK? Tampons...unbelivable!

so who wants to rob their mums / girlfriends / sisters stash then and try it out?