WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

nang'eds!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that there is a god. If you look into all the crazy miracles and bleeding statues and stigmatas and etc. it makes you think. Like my mom was telling me one time how when she was young there was this lady from mexico or some shit like that who came here because she was real religious and was about to be promoted to some high status and the day she left some statues in her church did that bleeding shit and on the way she was saying how she got some kind if crazy message and the first night she was here there was a really bad storm like the worst we ever had and she died in her sleep. So I don't know but crazy shit like that makes me believe. I don't think about god that much and I havn't prayed since I was like 4 and I havn't been in church since about 5th grade but I do believe I just don't base my life around a church.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

why not indeed?

would charity exist without religion?

I think not.

What do charity and religion have to do with each other? Well sure, somewhat but they not dependant on each other. I can give a dollar to a hobo without telling him to worship Allah, right?

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

... Like Mormons knocking on my door, that makes me furious.

That cracked me up. Because around these parts that happens too often.

My wife is a Jehovah's Witness so I get to hear all about how their religion is the right one and all other religions have major faults. And she loves to point them out for me. She'll get frustrated with people on street corners preaching out loud, saying that it says in the bible not to do that. Yet on the next block there's a JW handing out the Watchtower. Not forcing anyone o take itmind you but still there on the corner with a copie for the taking. A lot less forceful than the guy at the other corner screaming in your ear. I can handle the morning visits from Mormons and I can handle my wife's family. What I can't handle is the hipocritical nature that tends to come along with religion. And being that I'm completely against religion it has made that part of our marriage interesting.

What I find more interesting is that a guy on the street corner can preach all day long, as loud as he wants... with large signs backing his words up and that's okay. No one steps in. But as soon as a guy wearing all black holding a sign that says "Satan loves you too" and reading from the satanic bible, he's arrested. Why? What's wrong with his view? Is it not a religion? Is he not aloud his own personal opinion like the other cat? Was he doing any more harm than the next guy? No. For some reason though... he found himself in jail. And I think that's wrong. Not because I'm on the satanic side of the bible belt but because he had every right to be there as the next guy.

Joker...I work with a JW and I get to hear all about it as well. While its not "illegal" to marry outside of the religion, I know its seriously frowned upon. What do her parents think about her marrying a heathen like you? One of the things I find most interesting in witnesses is their refusal to take anyone else's blood or organs...due to their belief that theirs is sacred.

I was born and raised Catholic, but I don't go to church anymore. I kinda think of myself as a cathoholic now. All the guilt and drinking, but non practicing. My general thoughts on religion as a whole are that they are all just different interpretations (mainly geological) on the same belief that there is a god. Granted there are some religions that I think are complete horse-shit.

I also think that religion in general helps keep the world a civil civilization. Just think what the world would be like if there wasn't the fear of being responsible for your actions on earth. One of the funny things I've found is that a majority of people that don't believe in god...somehow believe in Karma.

Kilo... I think, considering the discussion that you've been extremely level headed. I just wanted to put that out there first. As for comments on your posts... I tend to agree with you on just about everything concerning reasons why people believe in God. It does work for some people and it does do some good. I would never deny that. Like I said, it's the hipocrits that kill it for me. I also grew up across the street from a Catholic church with an all girl school right next door. I went to public school but it was after school that I learned the most... from a bedroom window. Ultimately, whatever works... works. I brought up things like vandalism because I feel if you'r egoing to believe in something than do it. Don't half-ass it... like church on Sunday after a Saturday night of bombing and binge drinking. I of course was not pointing that out to you for any other reason than to add to your topic. And no, I don't think it's okay to have a few black marks on your register at the end of the day. Like I said, if you're going to believe in something then believe in it. Otherwise you're a hipocrit. That's just how I see it, my stupid opinion. It's brash and a bit unrealistic but when it comes to religion I'm not forgiving. I know not everyone who believes in God is a freak but it's the case the of the few bad apples that spoil the whole basket for me. But then I think of all the funny jokes and I'm glad religion is here to stay.

"Jesus saves, passes to Gretzky... he shoots, HE SCORES!!!"

Steve...

" Joker...I work with a JW and I get to hear all about it as well. While its not "illegal" to marry outside of the religion, I know its seriously frowned upon. What do her parents think about her marrying a heathen like you? One of the things I find most interesting in witnesses is their refusal to take anyone else's blood or organs...due to their belief that theirs is sacred. "

At first it was really harsh. Her whole family lives in the area and her immediate family are all Witnesses. We moved in together about a year before we married because financially it just made sense. That floored everyone of them. By the time we got married none of the rsvp'd to come to the wedding. That floored me. My wife expected it. It took about eighteen months for them to come around and treat me like part of the family. At first I was the half-dead guy who was married to their daughter. A daughter who will die alone. My wife says that they keep praying that I'll come around and take up being a JW. Though she and I both know it'll never happen. No amount of miracles is going to work that kind of magic on me. And the mor ethey get to know me the more they realize this. I think what I have going for me is that I have / had an interesting life. What I do and have done. For them it's a great topic of conversation and for me it's a way to communicate with them about something other than why they couldn't put their beliefs aside for an hour and come to our wedding. I'll never forgive them for it, never. As I'm sure they'll never forgive me for marrying their daughter.

As for the blood and organ issue... I actually side with them. And did before I met my wife. There's safe and reliable alternatives to blood transfusions and have been for some time. It's common knowledge that taking someone elses blood only makes your body work that much harder to cure itself. I won't even go into the risks of disease. Organs are another issue that I don't know much about. Though I've always felt that if I'm on the table and under the knife and I've got a 50-50 chance of living unless I get a donor organ... let me go. I've lived a colorful life and had a good time. Just let me go.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

I hear you on the hypocrite

part. I know waaay too many

in the closet "backsliders".

I know a christian girls thats

all hoed out. I know a christian

man that smokes pot when his kids

are asleep. He preaches to me the

most. I know a few writers that

go to church. Its those things

that made me not follow religion.

I used to think it was all bullshit.

I still do at times. That why I asked

those questions. I was raised catholic,

but I dont practice. I have a child,

and my family asks me when Im going

to start taking her to church. She was baptised.

Im guessing I will raise her catholic, but

non-practicing. For the same reasons

I dont go to church. I dont like lying to myself,

or to people in general. So why be a hypocrite.

Joker, what if you ever had kids? What then?

Thats pretty jacked that her fam didnt go to the

wedding. Thats just foul. I dont blame you for

holding a grudge. Thats what Im saying, religion

is waaay to strict for a person like me. They would

never accept the things I do. In the eyes of most

religious people, I could be considerd a demon!

:mad: :lol:

Originally posted by SteveAustin

Joker...I work with a JW and I get to hear all about it as well. While its not "illegal" to marry outside of the religion, I know its seriously frowned upon. What do her parents think about her marrying a heathen like you? One of the things I find most interesting in witnesses is their refusal to take anyone else's blood or organs...due to their belief that theirs is sacred.

I was born and raised Catholic, but I don't go to church anymore. I kinda think of myself as a cathoholic now. All the guilt and drinking, but non practicing. My general thoughts on religion as a whole are that they are all just different interpretations (mainly geological) on the same belief that there is a god. Granted there are some religions that I think are complete horse-shit.

I also think that religion in general helps keep the world a civil civilization. Just think what the world would be like if there wasn't the fear of being responsible for your actions on earth. One of the funny things I've found is that a majority of people that don't believe in god...somehow believe in Karma.

actually a big reason i'm strongly against organised religion is because in my opinion it has caused nothing but ignorrance and wars and terrorism.once you seclude yourself entirely only to your own, you draw a thick wall between you and others that were raised to think or are different.i want to emphasize on "raised to think different", because most of religious people are simply raised to belive in jesus, mohammed, buddah etc.it's more of a tradition rather a belief.i'm atheist and i treat all people and religions the same and equal.religious people tend to believe their religion is right and preach to others.that's one thing that bothers me more than anything else.it creates boundaries.

Re: *believe*

Originally posted by WebsterUno

Joker, what if you ever had kids? What then?

At first I didn't understand your question, but I think I do now. You're asking how they would be raised. As a JW or not. Honestly, I'm very supportive of my wife. If we had a kid and she chose to raise that kid as a JW I'd be fine with it. I think... yea, it would be cool with me. As long as the kid didn't grow up to be a herb.

A lot of people never have a chance to believe in anything else because from day 1 their parents told them to believe in 1 thing. A bible.

For those people who grew up sheltered and naive - completely brainwashed.. They all need a place to collaborate ideas and become accepted - a support group. Their only friends and their family's friends are all memeber of the same church.

Preaching, living your own life according to something written down on paper and put into somebody elses terms is in my opinion a sad boring way to go through life. Its watered down garb. Plain and simple. People cant cope with their lives when they lack a goal or direction so they feel lost. Then some idiot bible thumper comes into their life and tells them they can be a part of eternal life, if they do good and get other people to feel the way they do. Convert others for your cause.

From what I know religion first started out to give people something to live for, travel the land - regenerate and pass onto the next part.

The whole thing has just gotten out of hand..people dont know what or why the follow they just do as they are told..hoping they go to better place where the good and evil are seperated..

They dont want to believe life only lasts 1 time, because they dont like the world as it is.

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read:

Christians: cant live with them - cant throw them to the lions anymore

Both my parents were brought up JW's..That religion is scary. They want to controll your life when it comes down to it. My mother once told how she went through HighSchool - graduated with honors earlier then the rest of the class. There's no telling how far she could have gone with further education, but her parents said no - Your job is to make babies or become a minister. My father who was very athletically inclined - couldnt even try out for the wrestling team. If you get married into it and divorced out of it your thrown out. Excommunicado. Some assbackwards shit.

Heathens!:lol:

i believe in god because i don't feel that i would be alive if it weren't for the grace of god. i've been shot at, stabbed, robbed at gunpoint, i've been in 4 car accidents where cars were totalled, all kinds of shit. i just think it wasn't my time yet, and there was more for me to do in life. i don't understand why people don't believe in god. if the higher powers of the universe don't watch over you, than your existance is wiped out in the blink of an eye. so every day you wake up and that doesn't happen, you're either blessed or cursed depending how you look at it. but either way it's not completely random, and it's not passive--there is action involved. so if you think that without a higher power you'd be sitting here typing on a computer, that's arrogance. maybe god is simply the collective consciousness of mankind--the 90% of our brain that we don't use, or the codes passed through our dna that we can't figure out. but no matter what it is or how you try to explain it, it's real.

also, to adress something joker said earlier, i don't think there really is a contradiction between being a god-fearing person and being a writer. did you ever watch the last temptation of chist? that scene where jesus gets pissed off at the money changers in the cnurch and trashes the whole place? that scene is from the bible. jesus saw the corruption of the church leaders--the men using the name of god to better their own financial situation, and jesus freaked out and trashed (or i could also say vandalized) a church. early christians were looked at as the scum of the earth, kind of like writers, and jesus was a rebel. rebellion is the closest thing you can do to follow the footsteps of jesus. and it works with other religoins to. siddheartha renounced his social status to live like a monk in poverty. lao tzu supposedly lived as a hermit in the woods because he was so disenchanted with society. finding religion and spitting in the face of society go hand in hand.

"Why DON'T people believe in God?"

I think that most people who are convinced atheists are as devout, in their own way, as people who do believe in God, because they believe that God doesn't exist. Absolutely. Positively. Sort of fundamentalist-like in their non-belief.

And they tend to have an entire set of beliefs that hinge on this non-existance of God, that collectively are known as humanism or secularism. This generally involves being completely opposed to most moral imperatives and restrictions that are based on any Biblical or other references to other "holy scripture" (Quran, etc.)

If God exists, and if He has a set of rules that he wants His people to follow, and he is omnipotent; if you break his rules you are in a WORLD OF SHIT. Begging forgiveness is just about one's only option, although the Hebrews of the Old Testament used to put all the tribes' sins on a goat (a scapegoat) and send it out into the wilderness, where God would miraculously send a lion to devour the goat and thereby relieve the tribe of it's sins. They used to also set up these elaborate sacrifices of oxen, lambs, doves, etc. Sort of a kosher barbeque, and this apparently pleased God. (Actually, this would be kind of cool even today.) And then when the First Century Church was created around Jesus, then being truly repentant, asking forgiveness and promising to not do it again seemed to be adequate. Christianity was essentially a Jewish cult during this period. Christians followed the Jewish holidays, feast and festival days, but did not always eat kosher, because Jesus taught that it wasn't what you put into you mouth that was so important (i.e. kosher food) but what came out of your mouth (i.e. curses, bitterness, hatred for others, swearing before God, or lies, etc.) that is important.

People want to do whatever they want (me too) and don't like having to adhere to a set of rules they have no part in making (I can relate to that), and since most of us cannot accept that there are unbreakable Holy rules and laws, then we cannot accept that God exists, because if He did, and we broke His rules, then we would be french fried in the unquenchable brimstone fires of Hell. Most people think Hell is bullshit, and Heaven too. It's just too corny for a generation of people raised on evolution and situational ethics and moral relativity.

But check this out. One of the most simple common animals is the regular old frog. Genetically, frogs are not too complex. The DNA of a frog, like other animals, depends upon the arrangement of molecules of bio-chemicals on the double helix of the DNA. The molecules of all animals are pretty much the same, I think, just arranged in different sequences, from a universal pool of molecular possibilities. Supposedly, all life on this planet just happened by accident, sort of like putting Bingo balls in a cage and turning the handle to see which ball comes up next.

For the FIRST THREE molecules of a frog's DNA to come out correctly (never mind the hundreds or thousands of molecules to follow) by chance is a statistical chance of about 20 million to one. Your chances of being struck by lightning during your lifetime are about 200,000 to one. Which makes me pretty nervous about this post, LOL.

Only God can make a frog. Uh, ..correctly, that is. (Dow Chemical can make them with three legs and shit like that pretty easily, just by being kind of sloppy down at the petro-chemical kitchen. Which might be sort of pissing off God, you know? Think about it.)

'secularism' is bullshit... 'human secularism' even more so... I can remember when we all had to turn in our history books because they were dangerously 'humanly secular'... yep, the anitHS movemnet started based upon the possible state oppression of organized religion, not in any honorable debate about religion as a whole. GOD FORBID we fail to acknowledge God's role in the victories of WWII, though God is downplayed in discussions of Vietnam... God help's the winners of the Super Bowl but uses adversity to 'teach' the losers. FUCK THAT! Any given Sunday...

The idea that "This generally involves being completely opposed to most moral imperatives and restrictions that are based on any Biblical or other references to other "holy scripture" (Quran, etc.)" is bullshit... I don't see any athiests jumping up to legalize murder because it's forbidden in some worn out piece of scripture.

The argument that only God can make a frog is weak as well, 'only God has made a frog so far'... Churchy LaFemmes are constantly trying to use the unexplained to justify the existance of God but over the years, the phenomena continue to be explained...

Why doesn't anyone explore the inconsistancies in 'God's plan'? If we are all made in his image then why are all our fingerprints different? Wouldn't that be an 'imperfaction'? Snowflakes? Surely snowflakes don't figure in the larger scheme as greatly as humans, the bible tells us so, yet snowflakes are equally unique. I would further postulate that no matter how rigorously unifor any plant's leaves are, they are also entirely unique. See a pattern? Yep, random numbers so large that they are simply inconcievable to the human mind AT THIS POINT. Algorythmic theory is already being used to encrypt cell phone calls and, possibly, will eventually be able to help trace your genetic code all the way back to Joe Caveman.

It's also weak to indict someone solely on the basis that 'they believe'. Simply because someone is christian, athiest, or buddhist is NO reason to dismiss their opinions, we all know that but... as soon as this argument is raised, lines are drawn and positions are taken. Pointing out that all sides adhere doggedly to their own beliefs proves nothing but the general tenacity of humans...

Why is God a vengeful God? The Old Testament is based on fear, the New Testament based on love... sound like the Good Cop/Bad Cop routine? They didn't invent that when the FBI came into existance...

Ironically, 2 of the people most associated with the 'Humanism' argument, Darwin and Einstein were both christians.

Archived