WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

nang'eds!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok say if there is one of these "gods" that so many millions believe in, i am sure you can work out he has done more bad than good, if he was all powerful and could do what he pleased i don't think there would be any war or gun crimes or other unneccasary "sins". So i think the god you believe i think has lied. Or you have lied to your self by believing in "god". He is about he is very very unfair, think about how many inicent young children have been killed in mass murder's what will you people say about that? god had them killed because they deserved it, why do old ladies get mugged? why are there so many mentaly and physically retarded people they did something bad in the woum and deserved to be altered and changed so thast they are different from otherswell i am sure your so called god would not do such a thing. Well that is a little thought to think about.

peace....

i think that you have a very narrow idea of what god is. first of all, the concept of god being "all powerful and can do what he pleased" is a christian one. even calling god a "he" is a jewish/christian idea (the father, the son, and the holy spirit.) bhuddism, not christianity, is the most widely practiced religion in the world. bhuddism doesn't specifically say that god is a male or female, or that god is all powerful. god's power comes from duality. somtimes babies will die, old ladies get will mugged and murdered, but sometimes babies that are supposed to die pull through and grow up healthy, and people have cancer which is supposed to kill them, but it suddenly goes into remission. you need to have tragedy in the world to understand what a miracle is. god must create an evil opposite for every good thing, because that's the only way our minds can understand anything. in bhuddism and taoism, god is viewed as more of a force--like water. water gives life to everything on the planet, but floods can destroy entire counties in an afternoon. while people are drowning in a flood, somewhere else in the world a gentle rain shower is giving life to a whole ecosystem. so to me, saying you don't believe in god is like saying you don't believe in water.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Joke-Yeah, thats what I meant.

thats cool that youre supportive like that.

I dont know what I would do if I were in your situation.

I know JWs dont celebrate birthdays, christmas,

HALLOWEEN!!! Me being me, it would be hard to tell

my child she cant enjoy herself like all the other kids do.

Religion is too strict. It can help instill values, but I

think I can do that myself. Nothing wrong with self-righteousness?

Right?

Originally posted by garcia_vega

i think that you have a very narrow idea of what god is. first of all, the concept of god being "all powerful and can do what he pleased" is a christian one. even calling god a "he" is a jewish/christian idea (the father, the son, and the holy spirit.) bhuddism, not christianity, is the most widely practiced religion in the world. bhuddism doesn't specifically say that god is a male or female, or that god is all powerful. god's power comes from duality. somtimes babies will die, old ladies get will mugged and murdered, but sometimes babies that are supposed to die pull through and grow up healthy, and people have cancer which is supposed to kill them, but it suddenly goes into remission. you need to have tragedy in the world to understand what a miracle is. god must create an evil opposite for every good thing, because that's the only way our minds can understand anything. in bhuddism and taoism, god is viewed as more of a force--like water. water gives life to everything on the planet, but floods can destroy entire counties in an afternoon. while people are drowning in a flood, somewhere else in the world a gentle rain shower is giving life to a whole ecosystem. so to me, saying you don't believe in god is like saying you don't believe in water.

Sorry, i am only 13. but yeah i meant to call this thread "why do people believe in the christian god" but that fucked up cos i was watching fear and loathing in las vegas...and was laughing to much to concentrate but i only said "HE" not to be specific but because i wasn't actualy thinking properly, i never realy do when i post on this website. I know i probably should on a threead like this because it is a sensitive subject and people do get affended. Next time i will think a little more before typing in whatever comes to my head....

but i still can't bring my self to believe in something that noone has proof of it actualy existing, that is just the way i am.

first off your fucking 13 go to school...

its funny cause when you die you will finally figure out if what you have been believing in your whole life is a sham or not. People can dislike what I say but its true...but I guess its better to have something to help give you a certain strength, then to not have anything at all. I honestly try not to think about such possibilitys because it really is mind boggling. If one thing is for sure all religon has certain aspects in common so something must be right. could religion could be a way of life set for people to follow to make them happy throughout it? Because that could be the ultimate technological advancement ever.

Re: Re: *believe*

Originally posted by Joker

As long as the kid didn't grow up to be a herb.

You shouldn't be too worried.

It is possible to be raised in the church without being socially inept.

You seemed to like one of them enough to commit your life to her,

so there's the solid proof that not everyone is doomed to herbdom.

Interfaith marriges? let's discuss!

So I was reading my copy of the Quar'an and I came across

a strange little fact. Everyone should know that Islam, Judaism

and Christianity all come from the same source (Abraham) and

all of these 3 religions are monotheistic. The Quar'an calls Jews

and Christians 'People of The Book'. In the book there seems to

be a little bit of respect for these other faiths (compared to today,

and compared to the pagans). So here's the tricky part...

An Islamic man is allowed to marry other 'people of the book'

without getting in shit from his community. That may not apply

in Gaza, but in the Quar'an it's a-okay. However the Islamic women

are only allowed to marry Islamic men. Seems a little backwords no?

Is this a perfect example of the word of man being taken as the word

of 'God'? I dont think an omnipotent creator would allow half of his

'creations' to live by one code that is so integral to the family and not

allow the other half the same freedoms. But who really knows?

people belive in god because ,god is the creator of this world and all things we know of..hands down...you can call god anything you want but its still the same.the reason i call god (it) is because i dont believe god is man or women ,god is much more than that.i think god is a something that is in apart of all of us.good & bad because even the most hateful person has some kind of love in them.i believe god is love.i dont believe god really has much to do with religion,i mean god definitly is in every religion,but i dont believe that you need a religion to get to god or talk to god .just know that god exists.........................live in peace & live at peace with yourself.

Re: Re: Re: *believe*

Originally posted by Kilo7-

I dont think an omnipotent creator would allow half of his

'creations' to live by one code that is so integral to the family and not

allow the other half the same freedoms. But who really knows?

I've had a similar thought in my head for years and years. And when I've asked questions about the supressing of women in religion the only answer most will give me is, it's God's will. That's just the way it is. And of course, I have a hard time swallowing that. For example... JW women cannot become Elders in their Kingdom Halls. For a lack of better and proper ways to describe it... women are inferior to men in Jehovah's eyes. Therefore men only can become Elders. This seems true in most religions that I know very little about. Women are inferior. I know very little about the Islamic religion, very little. But the treatment of women seems horrific to me. I know that I may be generalising ( mainly from documentaries and small stories on Discovery and the History channel that I've seen ) but from what I do know I'm amazed at how such things can go on.

I agree... why would God ( if God existed ) create two beings and give one more power than the other? If God created man in his own image what inspired him to create woman?

Interfaith marriages...

I have yet to meet a married couple that was not of the same religion. Most couples I know always ask how the misses and I handle things. To them it's unthinkable to be married to someone who is not of the same faith. More so, most couples I know who have married a same faith partner have all divorced. I married around the same time as five other couple friends of mine. All of which have divorced over the last four years. One couple spent an amazing amount of money on the wedding and reception and divorced two weeks after. Bought a house and everything. Stupid. The guy converted to Catholicism for the girl too. Stupid. His parents were upset about the converting so you can only imagine the hell the unleashed when the the couple split. I don't quite know where I'm going with this so I'll just stop it right there... sorry.

Originally posted by Joker

If God created man in his own image what inspired him to create woman?

that's deep man. Really deep.

Sure some people can say that 'he created man' and then

made minor modification because women carry children.

The Wo-man is just a man with a womb, and mamorry glands,

and soft silky skin... a big beautiful eyes. Plus they smell like heaven.

Oh...

maybe women wern't 'built' as just a child carrying man.

'God' May have created the 'form' with man, but 'he' made beauty with woman.

Interesting discussion

And certainly worth reading. Since there was a time in my life when I was adamantly, passionately, belligerantly on one side of this argument, and now find myself sheepishly on the other side (One denies the existance of extraterrestials until you see a UFO....) I am confident that some of the ardent atheists will change their opinions. People believe in God eventually because they can see no other explanation that seems rational. Face-to-face with Evil-with-a-capital-E, people choose Good, and choose to believe. There are too many repentant Nazis and jailhouse conversions for me to feel other explanations are more likely. Ultimately, belief in God is a choice, like many other.

Good question & good answers. Man did create God, many of them anyway. I believe God to be the imperial power in everything. Aside from a believer, I'm also a sinner & a hypocrite. I try to be a "good person", but at times I'm jealous, have greed, I'm impatient, critical, I write on shit that's not mine etc., no where near perfect. As a matter of fact, I've never met a perfect human & I never will. We're all imperfect. We're all hypocrites. Even non believers are hypocrites. Yep, it's true. Why is it, when you say you're a believer you're actions are automatically dissected & judged more harshly? Also, the religious are blamed for so much. It's not only believers of a God who cause war, hurt, hate, kill etc. We could do an entire thread on the presence of Satan. There's always evil among us, even when we think we're doing something good, just, or right, we're still humans & again, imperfect at that. I'm not happy w/ the "sin all week, get saved on Sunday" mentality many church people have, but it's out there. Yes it sucks, but you have to look for the good in people. We generally try to be good, having values etc., but we fall short all the time. It's too bad that just because the religious strive for some sort of better way, that they're expected to be perfect all the time. I have to hand it to you Joker. It sounds like you're very patient & you've handled the scrutiny well. As far as us being made in God's image, this is a vague statement. Let's not pull it apart too much. No one here knows WHAT "his image" really is, unless they're God. Women on earth & individual fingerprints are not an imperfections, but rather a validation of our own uniqueness! According to the bible women were made as helpers for men, so they wouldn't be alone. A companion I guess. Of course this can't be proven so easily in a 12oz thread, or anywhere else for that matter. This is when FAITH comes into play & having a PEACE that passes UNDERSTANDING. We aren't made to understand it. The bible wasn't even written in English. Over years, human error is bound to have been a factor in translation. All the different religions relate to the region they derived from & they do have similarities. I personally trust that God exists outside of each one & outside of each church, synagogue, temple, mosque, etc. The importance of church isn't so much a building you go to on Sunday, but a fellowship with other believers. I really like what Kilo said about the Redwood & the seed. In fact, the bible uses a similar reference w/ the mustard seed. That really breaks it down for me. It's like that damn spider that keeps weaving it's web in my front door. Each morning it breaks when I open the door, but it rebuilds over and over, night after night. Stupid spider. =0) Personally, for me it's things like this that restore my faith & it's human to question it. At times humanity also makes me want to run, but I try to remember NOT to put my faith in man alone, but in God, because man will always let you down in the long run. I've also learned to thank God for these let downs, because they make us stronger. Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just wanted to share my feelings. I like the summed up response "why not?", though I can easily turn on the news, hear about priests raping little boys etc., and see why not! The world is fucked up & it's easy to judge each other. Try to stay positive & look for the good. Peace y'all!

no wonder why the bastion of Catholism is now in South america...less education, modernity... a more traditional and poorer life.

I 'd like to skip a few years of evolution, and to see this world free of religion... i think it would be better without it.

anyway.. with all the access to the modern science that we have now.. how can you still believe that god created the world in 7 days few thousands years ago, when we have dinausaurs bones dating of millions of years.. that the 2 first men were Adam and Eve (both are white..), when we are finding rests of prehistoric tribes,and that we have proved that we descend from monkeys...and the list goes on and on.

crazyness

^ that might be what you believe but the facts can prove otherwise.

Ancient Islam was at the very forefront of science for their days.

They believed that science was a way for humans to get better in

touch with Allah and the mysteries of life. Take for example the fact

that they had discovered the world was round some 1000 years before

the Christian world. Even Capernicus (sp) was tried and executed

because he went against the church and said the world wasn't flat.

I still believe in that ancient idea of science and wisdom bringing us closer

to some kind of divine masterplan. So we know about DNA and evolution

but does that mean that these things wern't tools used by a higher power?

Some people think a creator just snapped his fingers and walked away

from the world and let things take their own course. I dont believe that

but I do think that the concept of 'free will' isn't exclusive to humans. I think

that maybe all types of natural progression can also have free will.

your opinion... you're entitled to it but I seriously think that religion

as a 'brainwashing' agent is a new (past 2000 years) invention.

Originally posted by Edika

no wonder why the bastion of Catholism is now in South america...less education, modernity... a more traditional and poorer life.

I 'd like to skip a few years of evolution, and to see this world free of religion... i think it would be better without it.

anyway.. with all the access to the modern science that we have now.. how can you still believe that god created the world in 7 days few thousands years ago, when we have dinausaurs bones dating of millions of years.. that the 2 first men were Adam and Eve (both are white..), when we are finding rests of prehistoric tribes,and that we have proved that we descend from monkeys...and the list goes on and on.

crazyness

Because they're whacked.

Kilo,its your opinion too, but i think that science and religion cannot be together.

One of the definition of science is objectivity. When u are a scientist, u have to experiment and see the facts and evidences, the results of your theory. Religion is not science. I'm willing to believe in god when i'll see the result of a scientific research that will be able to say that god exists and that the bibble ( or any other religion book) is correct.

this is science: give me the proofs, the facts, and i'll believe!

Now, religion is more phylosophical, spiritual, than scientific, but infortunately, theres always a big part of it that focuses on supposed facts ( like the creation of the earth, like i said before). and thats the problem: religions are taking these facts for granted, and are excluding everyone that are not following the guidelines . See,I have no problem with a person who is reading and following a book and a way that can help him spiritually... let's say Jesus or whatever other prophets would have come like this: hey guys, i have written a new book called the bibble, it is a book that can help you out in life, give you some tricks to feel better, read it if you want... i think that the world would have been better, many many less wars...

People seem to be under the misconception that science is infalliable. Edika mentioned that science is supposed to be objective. The problem with that is the elements which are meant to be objective are based on our perception of them, thus making them subjective. Lots of things considered scientific knowledge are just theories that haven't been proven wrong yet. Remember how science once "proved" that earth was the center of the universe? Or that black people really are inferior to white people? While it isn't as shakey, science still falls short in a lot of areas.

Science is definitely stronger in that it allows for error. Religion tends to have a stigma that once you find fault in one aspect, the entire dogma should and will come crashing down. If it could adopt the inclusive nature that science has, it would be much better off. If science could answer the questions that religion adresses, it would be much better off.

Originally posted by IntangibleFame

"Who is driving car? Oh my god bear is driving car how can that be!"

its a panda...

on the religion subject, i dont believe there is a "god" as such but that there has to be "something" out there. the idea of following a religion has never got through to me. i dont know why, but it just seems pointless. this doesnt mean i dont have respect for people who do follow their religion.

again, i have to agree with all the people who voice the question: " if there is a god, why do so many bad things happen?" sure, people always say "its gods will" or something along the lines of it being not gods fault. to me this seems to be a load of shit! surely "god" could see that some bad stuff is going on in the world to people who dont deserve it or havent done anything. why isnt god looking out for them?

*one of the many random thoughts passing through sneaks brain*

Archived