Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by dcstylez149@Mar 30 2005, 08:58 PM

can any1 teach me how to drip and splat?

are you serious? If its your thing, do it. If not, dont. I'm not naysaying or anything, but do what you know. If you dont know it, experiment and just fuck around until youve taught yourself. Creativity cannot be taught. Good luck.

Guest KING OF HELL

here you go. ways to do letter studies on canvas and NOT have it look like the last ten thousand.

seeking isnt an art student. its a combination of his phenominal writing skills and living with me. the biggest art critic prick on earth. take what he says and make it twice as negative and mare abusive. im glad he writes it and not me.

ALCHEMY

5a927_alchemy.jpg

RECHARGED

oz950_recharged.jpg

yo seeking,

I apologise; i wasn't defending an attack on myself, but one on canvasses with drips and shit. To be honest, what you said about my one actually meant a fair bit to me so thanks.

let's be fair, my blackbook will never be as good as dondi etc. but i have, and continue to put a lot into it. My point was that when i do my blackbook, all that ink and paint is out of my own pocket and people will rarely get to see the stuff that i am most proud of; literally, it has cost me a fuckload in pens and shit over the past few years. Whereas someone that i know will be like 'can you do one of those for me?' and i'll be like 'i'm not as good at this stuff yet as i want to be but i'll do you one for free if you just pay for materials' and they're like 'cool' and then i do it and i get a whole new batch of pens and paint for free and improve in the process. It's just my way of sustaining shit.

like i said earlier, i'm not fighting your advice; i will try to 'think outside the box', just you wait and see

ps. what should i do?

pps. only kidding

pps. but seriously, if you have any ideas...

my first idea is get deeper pockets. racking art supplies isnt really stealing. god actually approves of it. i havent bought a pen, marker or tube of paint in years and i have a pretty healthy collection of the stuff. i dont know what it's like over there, but it can't be impossible. even if you buy two or three markers and steal 5, you're still coming up.

secondly, you're free to do whatever you want, if you think that drips and splatters are the culmination of 10,000 years of artistic exploration, then don't let me stand in your way. all i'm tryingto point out is that there is very little difference between generic and fresh when it comes to work like this, and personally, i'd feel a little more comfortable distancing myself.

KOH is lying, i was this critical before i lived with him, it's what brought us together. he just managed to take what i had naturally and crystalize it into a deadly weapon (like a two bladed axe).

i'm studying law at the moment; i just can't afford to get a criminal record for stealing pens!

by the way, do you have any examples of your own work to post or that you have posted before? i'd be interested to see; and may god strike you down if theres a drip!

ha, ive done plenty of stuff with over spray and drips. infact, i'm in the process of designing a poster (for screen printing) right now that has both. the difference is that they're just minute aspects of a larger whole, where as many people use them as the basis of the art itself. see, it's not that they're inherently flawed, they do look fresh. the problem is that ANYONE regardless of their lack of talent, can push the nozzle down and create them. the fact that every single person who posts some 'yo, this is my first canvas, tell me what you think' shit, ALWAYS has the same background. it's like 'that' toy hand, that every single toy has when they start...you know the one...same sort of thing.

i have nothing on my work computer. i tried to upload some illustrations/stickers the other night, but the internet kept crapping out on me so i couldnt post them. i'll try again tonight. lately i've been concentrating on sculpture welding, so i've spent very little time painting canvases. and even then, the only time i ever really do them is when i'm stressed out over girls. i'll try to find something though.

and i feel you on not wanting to catch a case, but really man, markers arent that expensive at all. even if you just get a couple, do a whole lot of work in the same colors, who cares? it's an excellent way to push yourself to get creative.

Originally posted by Yellow Feets@Mar 31 2005, 08:14 PM

There's something in that heart. Still sexy though.

Looks like a fingerprint to me....

Don’t see what that means but it fits and looks good IMHO.

And will use this opportunity to give props.

Those are just off the wall ... I love KOH's styles. Always leave me wondering what is going on in his mind, good stuff.

we're all still learning.

well...most of us are still learning.

i did a couple simple little illustrations on old rusty paint cans last night. i was gonna get pictures and post them, but instead i painted trains. why i couldn't just do both i'm not sure.

ahh,,seen lonon show..what site is that stuff on seeking?

he did some others for that show that lookied like they were on train panels that were very nice aswell

and yes,,hes perfected that drip/splat mess/partialy buffed /weathered look over the past 2/3 years very nicely

thats class..

p.s. the THESE WALLS UNDER VIDEO SURVIELLANCE stencils on those are taken from the citys (ny) attempt at deading hiway bombing by putting those stencils on all the hiway walls ,,as if there were cameras, which there werent/arent,,seen and friends proved this by smashing them a few years back, and a few months ago HEAVILY with solid filled in throw-ups...