Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

no, i was apologizing for being the one that had to break the truth to you.

most of the things i say on here i'll admit to be simply opinion. the tiredness of anime however was voted on by a group of rhodes scholars last fall at a 'ATSIPOF' convention in geneva and has since been put into law in most of the civilized world.

seeking/all that shit is played out as fuck

ok:

my next piece will be on a romanian child because canvases are played out

it will feature images of things that don't even exist yet

i will use ox blood and liquid dreams instead of ink and paint, which are played out

it will be see-through because all colours conform to an era

instead of drips there will be shards of glass and chicken wire

instead of a piece as such i will be dancing

and then i'm posting it in another thread because THIS ONE IS PLAYED OUT BABY!

but yeah i agree mostly with what most people have mostly said

Originally posted by JUSTONE@Apr 8 2005, 09:55 AM

ok:

i will use ox blood and liquid dreams instead of ink and paint, which are played out

instead of a piece as such i will be dancing

and then i'm posting it in another thread because THIS ONE IS PLAYED OUT BABY!

but yeah i agree mostly with what most people have mostly said

:haha: :haha: :haha: nice way to put it... im sure itll be a kick ass canvas too... just... i like ya shit... no matter what... the anime thing... ehh... its only played out cause we all did it... i think it looks tight... but if it looked more like the ppl on the cover of the my chemical romance album cover i think itd be tighter... but ya shit is ill don't worry bout the opinions of others... not that criticism isn't great... but ultimately its what you think about ya shit... who cares about others...

justone,

see, that sounds a whole lot like 'found object' or 'junk' art....i absolutely hate that shit! throw in some twine and burlap and you've just made some of my least favorite shit this side of 'fantasy art'. ugh.

;)

here's something i started yesterday (far from done).

personally, i think i hate it.

generally, i'd just give up on it now and put it in the stack of partially finished paintings in my corner, but since i can't figure out why i hate it, or what i could do to it in order to like it, i refuse to abandon it yet.

it's a spin off from another very small piece i did (this is 18x24) that i absolutely love (no pictures). i think part of my dislike of this one, is that the other one uses the same colors (minus the black) and i have real issues with doing things that are too similar. i know i need to get over that, but it's difficult. either way, i just cant help but look at this and think 'hotel lobby', not sure why. my initial tendency is to turn it 90 degrees counter clockwise, because i'm more comfortable with verticle rectangles, but i intentionally did this one this way in order to try and challenge myself. now i wish i hadn't cause it's annoying and for whatever reason, i think this piece is boring as fuck. maybe ill feel differently in a week and after i get some more work done on it (especially subtle texture in the black).

anyway, just wanted to throw all that out there to show that i'm equally critical of myself and my own stuff. anything you guys might be able to disect this and come up with, i'll gurantee i can find twice as many flaws.

anyway, thats all.

canvas_4_8.jpg

Guest KING OF HELL

man you guys.......

i dont even know where to begin, other than to say HOT DAMN to the RYKE canvas.

if its done right its done right.

i said once before that its not important to be original, just honest. and what i meant by that, is that in developing who you are and what you really like and what you can TRULY repect, and once you guys figure out how to filter it all into imagery, thats true honesty. you will be far more picky of the the icons you are choosing with such abandon, and just for the sake of having it...and you will make something that actually impresses you. i mean its just frivilous iconography here. i need drips, i need, a character thats easily recognisable, and something that will be a crowd pleaser. you ALL have more potential than that. stop selling yourselves short.

you need to work harder. i dont want to hear any "its all been done before so what can i do" bullshit. thats weakness and fear of the unknown speaking. thats "if i step out on my own im not sure people will like it" speaking. deny it all you want but thats the fucking truth.

you guys are playing it to safe and not working hard enough. hate on me if you want, but i dont give a shit. if i didnt say it, someone would, and maybe much later in life. when development time is running shorter.

work your asses off, and truly study things you like. if its anime, then so be it...learn the form the BEST you can, and the haters will be hating less, and they will have respect for the time spent perfecting a craft.

but dont just place familiar things there for the sake of familiarity. place it there because it belongs there.

look at twist and meta(rip). they use familiar iconography, however they spent the time to learn how to properly hand paint letters in the proper styke they are trying to capture. they imersed themselves into the world of it to give it the proper RESPECT.

you guys arent doing this.

BLEED FOR IT.

hate on .

ok:

hahahaha...ox blood and liquid dreams!!!!

god damn just one...you snapped kid.

Boyow!

hehehe

i am hungover enough today to admit that i agree with the criticisms - i do play it too safe - I'd straight bite Ryke if i thought my conscience would allow it. All my friends don't know that this shit is played and to be fair neither did I so it works for now.

I will endeavour to think outside the box

BUT i will continue to do this stuff aswell until I have played it out personally or until my friends start going on these forums.

Seeking I like the bottom half of the canvas - Perhaps you should find a way of bridging the top with the bottom - I recommend you doing a big weed leaf that's dripping onto the bottom bit - then do like a huge tag and then outline it and then outline the outline and then put a shine on it and then a shadow and maybe some bubbles and stars

"i just cant help but look at this and think 'hotel lobby', not sure why"

are you serious? it's painfully obvious - it LOOKS like POPULAR 'unconventional minimalist space'.

i've got a feeling you have much more individuality than what you're letting on with this canvas Seeking (especially after viewing the 'plants on cans' pics...

that canvas..it's so...easy....and safe....and somewhat...expected (IMO) ...there's no doubt you could sell this to some dumb corporate shmuck for a cool 3G's - but at what price to your creative soul.

negative space combined with 'emotive' brush/splatter/whatever strokes...too easy.

i haven't seen alot of your stuff, but from what i have seen, and (based on) your comments to other artsists on this forum....i say roll the fucking thing and stop thinking...feel your art.

oh, KOH > well said....

damn those are all good ideas bro, thanks!

;)

no, i agree, i do need to bridge the two sides. all my canvas stuff like that is completely dependent on the interplay between the colors and forms...that's actually sort of the point, unfortunately i know i haven't got it on this one (but i dont know why). i'm trying to make something out of nothing, without adding anything of particular interest. ha. i mean, you want to talk about frustrating yourself...try to paint something that isn't actually anything, then tell me how you're stumped for ideas because you're taking away drips. ha.

madcapa,

if negative space with emotive whatever is so easy, try one, then tell me how easy it is. i promise, if you actually approach it with the intention of creating something interesting, you'll never have a harder time than when you try painting something without actually painting anything. as i just said in my reply to just, making something out of nothing, whithout ending up with anything, is fucking hard as shit. you might think i'm playing it safe, and i know that im certainly not breaking any real ground, but trust me, that isn't 'safe' (no matter how benign it might look). to me, the cans were 'safe'. they where a gimmick. i find a neat little iconic image and i paint it out of context. what's more formulaic than that? all it takes is a google search and even meager technical ability. there is nothing else to that. they're cool to look at, and i plan to do more and give them out to friends, but they're little curios to be put on book shelves and commented on by house guests and nothing more. i like them, but i don't really care about them.

i'll try to find the two canvases i posted a while back. both of them are in this similar style, but both of them captured what i was trying to get at. you'll probably dismiss them as well, and i'll understand where you're coming from, but i'm happy with them none the less (or atleast i was last time i looked at them).

i'll also post another canvas that everyone will love just to give something to lighten the mood. back ina bit.

from the pic you posted> i don't FEEL a whole lot from it - could be the colors...i don't know...

but i know what you're talking about "try to paint something that isn't actually anything, then tell me how you're stumped for ideas because you're taking away drips"

this STARTED as drips.....just not..dripping

i know it's not finished - but i honestly don't want to finish it..it's a mistake...but that's why it works for ME

DSC00596.jpg

oh and IF you care...my 'brush' was a piece of bark/wood my dog was chewing on that was lying in the garage.....

like i said before..raw..spontaneous - is what works for me

seeking > it's ok mate i'm not attacking you. i know and understand the dilemas invlolved with 'minimalism'..'creating form WITHOUT form' ...i respect your approach - just saying i presume you could do better, and that this particular canvas you shared is by no means a clear representation of what you are capable of

i dont feel attacked at all, i'm actually really into the discussion. i mean, i said in my first post that i wasn't feeling it either, you agreeing with me certainly won't bother me. i'm as thick skinned as i am sharp tongued. ;)

other than the actual dotted 'drips', i really liked that piece of yours. it was probably my favorite that you posted.

i know that what im trying to do, in essence, is toil for hours in an effort to do something that looks basically like an accident...that looks like rusted metal or rotted wood or something that took absolutely no time at all. i cant help it, it's just what i'm into. if you're familiar with barnett newman, you'll understand where i'm coming from. dude was genius to me.

anyway, heres a couple i posted a while ago.

white_painting.jpg

horrible picture, since theres no grey in the painting, just a real light olive green, a bit of tan and white.

black_painting.jpg

i think perhaps one of the differences, is that i was feeling something when i painted these last two. when i painted the one from earlier, i was painting because i felt i needed to, not cause i particularly wanted to. not sure if actual emotional state can really play such a part, but since any single stroke can completely make or break something like this, i guess it's possible.

pprplane.jpg

here's one i figure people will like. it seems to be a crowd pleaser. i painted it for our friend and moderator OUIJA, since i owe him a couple pieces, but once it was done i liked it too much so i won't give it to him. sorry bro.

box2.jpg

here's the first metal piece i ever did. as with my painted work, it's really all about the texture (in this case the light mottled rust) on the surface, although the organic 'swoop'ish chunk cut out of the bottom is pretty cool as well....as is the eerie green light that comes out the grated hole. blah.

i need to find a better way to photgraph my shit. i also need to take photos of the half a dozen other metal pieces i have laying around. :(

cheeeeezus...working with metal is another step entirely - for that alone i respect what you do...working with paint is one thing.....

i see what you mean with the 'crowd pleaser'.

it's quite obvious - no need to go into much with that one - no thinking involved.

those first 2 tho...

for some reason...all i can think about when looking at them is Jordan Retro XI's

it's depressing..but beautiful.

jordan retro xi's? like....tennis shoes?! haha. that's the most compltely non sequitur comparison i've ever heard in my life. ha. awesome.

for the last 7 or 8 years, all my (non iconic) work, in one way or another, has kind of centered around this image i have in my head of flesh being torn apart. not in a morbid horrific sort of way, but in an emotional kind of way (if that makes sense). it's all slashes and bruises and wounds and shit. for some reason, i never noticed that that was what i was doing until a couple months ago when i started a new sculpture. all of a sudden i realized that's what i was always searching for....a way to accurately portray this image of emotional death and seperation, etc. now, i know that all sounds pretty simple and emo and shit, and it is, but to realize that i actually had something behind what i was doing, that i hadn't even realized, no matter how cliche, was really interesting to me.

i'll try to get some more pictures of my metal shit, if anyone is interested.

seeking the metal work is great even if it is just a simple first piece the texture is exactly what makes it of course.

i think that goes for all minimalist nonrepresentive art if theres a lack of something you gotta make it interesting in another way if theres not much to look at make it evoke a feeling through the sense of touch.we only have 5 senses you gotta play up to one of em if you wanna have an impact on someone.and as far as it being hard i'd hate to say it but its not that hard if you have a knowledge of the basic elements of art and work with the contrasting shapes and colors, space and negative space complentary colors, line and what not you can create something good.i hate to break it down to a science like that but as long as you have a clear view on things you wont pull your hair out trying. now i dont wanna sound like a know it all (personaly i think i suck still and need to learn alot)

as for the paintings by seeking and also mad cappa i know how much pictures dont show full detail so i cant say anything about em with full confidence but the white/olive one does look interesting ,the black and red one eh.the new one does seem incomplete as you have stated already i would agree with whoever said it about incorperating the black upper with the bottom thats how i see it anyway

mad cappa yours looks good but i'd much rather feel the texture

if i sound like im shitting on anyone im sorry. im sure your all your own harshest critic anyway though

When I was recently in Indonesia, I was invited to this Artists houe, out in the forest somewhere.........Shit was amazing. Every bit of spaze of his village was covered in canvasas.

I really like his work.

Some of you will, some wont...Oh welll:::::::::::::::

Bali081.jpg

Bali083.jpg

Bali086.jpg

Bali084.jpg

Bali082.jpg