Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

be hip hop,

the juxtoposition (just to use an art word and sound cool) of the girl and the two guys has me a bit lost. cut her out of it, keep the same composition, and i'm feeling it. right now, i see a cool background (what did you use?) a black reagan frenchkissing (not too convincingly unfortunately) martin luther king jr, and a weird betty boot cast off 1920's cartoon character....nothing is really holding it together though...atleast nothing that my feeble mind can grasp. maybe you can briefly explain what you're getting at, or post some other work for reference. as it stands now, even without being certain of what it 'is', i'm interested by all the the things it isn't.

forgerock,

what do i think? i think you could put those on ebay and make a million buckaroos.

carlojones,

what does "using this as back-up for my major art prac..." mean? i'm kind of terrified of what i think it means. i'm hoping i'm wrong though.

seeks/i didnt mean that about forge making money on ebay, i just wanted to say 'buckaroos'.

seeking,

thanks for the feedback .. i really appreciate it

as far as telling what it is about exactly would defeat the purpose.. for me at least.. what i like about it is that people come up to me and tell me the story they;ve made up between the characters. and thats really interesting to me.. because all art no matter what is all subjective.. everyone sees everything differently..

but i will tell you what it is... maybe you'll like it more if u know?..

the two kissing dudes are the leaders of east and west berlin.. and thats a famous "brotherly kiss" between them before the wall was taking down.. the other character is a character whcih i saw on parts of parts of the berlin wall that are still standing..

hope that helps..

the background is just dripped arcylic paint..

my problem with making up my own interpretation on that piece, is that it's not ambiguos enough to allow me to make my own story, but too vague to give me an idea of what it's supposed to be. if that makes sense. obviously other people don't have the 'problem' with it that i do, so take my words with a grain of salt if you'd like.

it's hard to critique stuff like this, because it's obvious that you know what you're doing, so anything i (or anyone) would say is going to be alot more subjective, and alot more tailored to our tastes than if the work was alot weaker. it's easy to take a shitty canvas and point out 20 things it's lacking, much harder on work like this.

i guess all i can say is that to me, again, the dichotomy between the two characters is just too much for me. they're too different and too contrasting for me to be able to compose some sort of unified 'story' out of them. when i look at it i see two different pieces, put on one board, in need of a band saw. obviously that's not what you see though, so i'd suggest go with your vision. if anything, maybe try to maybe create more of a unified feel between the two. something that somehow connects them. unfortunately, i don't know what that would be so i can't help on that front.

can you post some more work? i'd like to see what other kind of stuff you've done.

i think the pictures are too big/blurry/flash burnt to really be able to get a good look at your stuff. i can also tell you that overspray/drippy backgrounds and wild style pieces on canvase are generally boring as fuck. there are exceptions, but they're few and far between.

take that for what it's worth.

i lived with KOH for nearly a year, guess how many canvases i got from him?

ZERO.

i fly out to his art show last month, i spend all day helping to set up, i dj, i sell merch, i nearly die in an arctic snowstorm just to catch 4 tags, and how many canvases did i come home with?

ZERO

don't tell him you like his work, he's mean.