Canvas Thread

Harpo Marx

someday my belly aching will produce results and atleast one person will get half way through a canvas, realize that the whole style is played out, white wash the canvas then spend a week staring at it, trying to see something a little more interesting and exciting.

at that point, i'll go live in the mountains and catch fish with my bare hands.

do you guys put this much effort into your black books? i'll bet you dont, huh? you probably think it's a waste or something. meanwhile, producing cookie cutter canvases is a worthy endever? i hate to sound like a broken record, but i hate even more to watch someone sit around trying to play a broken record simply cause they don't realize it's broken.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i must say i have to agree with seeking graff canvases are played i dont know what i'll do if i see another splatter/drip backround. try some characters some animals shit even some pretty flowers just put some style and thought into it dont post stuff just for the sake of posting. anyway heres something new every once and awhile my shop gets a warped deck in and we dont have to send it back to get a new one so i paint it up to hang in there.

medusa.jpg

that's dope.

i dont expect people to stop putting graff on canvases, i just hope that maybe after all my nagging, that one of them will sit down and say 'alright, let me try something different this time around just to shut him the fuck up'. :)

i think alot of it has to do with people being afraid to fail. most of them probably aren't 'artists' by trade, so to do a canvas is kind of a daunting task. i know stuff like that has always hampered me. it's one of the main reasons i don't paint nearly as much as i should.

to further my rant, look at that justone canvas. that thing is just about as good as you could ever hope to make a 'graffiti style' canvas. the hands are decent, the colors are good, the composition is ok, blah blah. it is 'the' graffiti canvas. but now what? you just do 50 more? that's boring. look at the writers that do canvas work, totem, ewok, daim, joker, etc. no matter what style they paint, they all have one thing in common: none of them bother with marker outlines over top of over spray backgrounds. it is possible to do it well (ryke, zone, etc) but again, it's sort of a glass ceiling. once you reach a certain point, theres really no room to progress.

blah.

i'm not really into characters a ton, so it's hard for me to judge unbiasedly, but these seem decent for what they are. i like your backgrounds. it's alot of the same spray paint tricks everyone else does, but you did them 'right'. i just wish you saved them a little higher res, the artifacts (the splotchy, blocky shit) really jack up the colors making it hard to get a good feel for the subtleties and shit.

i'm kind of not huge on making paintings into 'advertisements' unless they're intended to be placed in the street, or they're whole point is to be a mock advertisement, but that could just be me. it just sort of seems like you threw it in there as an easy way to 'complete' the piece...which it does, just not in an entirely awesome way (IMO).

i guess the only thing i can really say is that i'd like to see something a little more 'art' and a little less 'graffiti inspired art', but that's just because it's more of what i'm into, so i'm selfishly trying to push you that way.

i use spray, posca, acylic and a mixture of other shitty markers.

thats good feedback seeking, i used to do more 'fine art' style painting if thats yourd call it before i got into graf....

i see what you mean about advertising, its true somtimes a painting needs somthing extra and when its hard to know what its easy to but on a solgan ect without much thought..... in some sense though the adversting espect only adversises itself therefore lacks the underlaying 'evil' and is more honest. but a play on that idea, i agree, would be more intresting

if that makes any sense. probly making it into somthing its not.

i really don't care about the 'evil' of advertising, that wasn't my point, it was just that once you turn your painting into an 'advertisement' like that, it changes things completely and throws it into a seperate catagory with seperate rules. my 'problem' (for lack of a better word) with yours, and specifically the last one, was that it didnt look like an ad, it looked like a canvas that needed something to fill space, so it got turned into an ad, know what i mean? it just seemed like an after thought. i actually like art that mimicks other things, be they advertising, fashion, whatever, but in order for it to work (IMO) it has to be designed with that goal in mind.

that make sense?

anyway, this is all just my opinion.

seeking... appreciate the feedback.. its good to hear some honest crit from people who know what they talk about..

are you an art student?

anyways.. i got some other work.. just some recent stuff done these past few months.. all of its from my first year 2d studies class..

feedback appreciated again..

did this for my boyfriend.. its kurt cobain if u cant tellsmallDSC01117.jpg

some textural shit... drips are kinda gay.. but they are really shiny in person.. and i like

small118_1876.jpg

ionno... non stretched canvas..

smallIMG_0046.jpg

this was a joke.. but i think the llama and goats and what not are hilarious.. so i like

smallIMG_0047.jpg

something 3d.. but its still a canvas.. it was for some local show of wearable art..

smallIMG_0157.jpg

damn baboon i dont know how big those are but man you produce i like all of em except the top 2 in the right corner i think if your gonna do those type of characters you should use alot of color to kill the flatness which you do in all the other ones they're dope.

the leader:that one made me chuckle (in a good way)

behiphop:the kurt cobain one is painted nice i cant tell but are those song lyrics of his in the backround? if so that works well with the relaxed pose of him sorta poetic? i also like the tree one with the mosaic effect on the leaves....im actually working on a small mosiac right now i'll probibly post that up when its done

seeking take it easy.

the reason i don't do this on my blackbook (which i usually do anyway) is twofold: 1. I get to give them away to friends and they usually pay for my materials which mean i don't end up spending hundreds of £'s on a colouring book. 2. It's a better way to learn the use of paint because it tends to be bigger etc.

And i use the word 'learn' because that's all i am doing.

I think that there should be an 'art' canvas thread and a graffiti canvas thread, that way your blood won't boil everytime you see letters.

i agree much of this is played from your perspective and for that you are entitled to hate. What you don't know is that i haven't hit that glass cieling yet; i look at canvases and sketches that i did 6 months ago and i see how much i am improving. I will take your advice and definately put some other stuff into my work, but i used to do just art and unlike most people i'm relatively new to graffiti and genuinely find drips and shit aesthetic (for now i'm sure).

ok, can anyway say self indulgence? i can (sorry in advance for this being so long)...

justone,

bro, you need to work on your reading comprehension, not your letters. i was not in any way 'hating' on you. i said that everything you did was good. i said that IMO, you could not have done that canvases any better than you did. now, if you perceive that as some sort of 'hate' then that's all a part of your persecution complex and not my fault.

why exactly would you have to spend a hundred pounds on a 'coloring book'? and would you consider dondi or daim's black books to be 'coloring books'? black books are one of the biggest things getting left behind as graff moves forward. back in the day people actually cared about them and put effort into them. you werent a 'well rounded writer' if you couldnt do decent black book pages. now it's seen as 'toy' to draw. fuck that.

there does not need to be a seperate thread just for graff canvases, if there was, i would be sitting in it telling you all the same shit: 'thing outside the box'. i don't know why you're fighting such simple advice. is it really that intimidating to be confronted with the reality that any monkey with thumbs can press down on a can and create these backgrounds? that these 'masterpieces', in all reality, are only a fraction of what someone could do with even a slight bit of effort? i'm trying to get folks to see things in a broader spectrum and all you can do is tell me im 'hating'?!

if you came from an 'art' background, why cast it off and regress to mindless graffiti shackles? why be so resistent to outside ideas?

wiseone,

you're kidding right?

leader,

why say it sucks? i love stuff like that. negative space always gets an instant A in my book. post more.

mr peanut,

that's real slick. how big is it?

be hiphop,

the animals are probably the freshest thing you posted, those are dope. actually, i like the tree branch alot too, but the animals are awesome. i like the red textured piece as well. what did you use for the texturing? just thick ass acrylic? are the colors in the pic pretty accurate? i think i'd like it a bit more with a darker, eerier shade of red. but that's just cause i hate myself and am secretly goth as fuck.

the first is 'good' but i think in a year you'll look back at it and kind of cringe. trust me on this.

and no, i'm not really an 'art student'. i've had classes in a whole lot different mediums (amusingly, i've never had a painting class) but the classes have always been a joke.

and just so it's stated, i do not think i'm some authority on art nor am i trying to make this thread into a soap box. these are all just my opinions...some i'm pretty confident and emphatic about and some are just personal preference. in either event, i'm just trying to help people see things differently (and more self servingly, remind myself of things i believe). if you're perfectly content with your work, then just pay me no mind and i won't bother you (unless i really, really think you suck balls and you're presence annoys me beyond a realistic comfort level).

thats all.

coo shyt, im so tired of seein graffiti on canvas, its pretty much like sayin well i wanna be artistic, maybe enter some showsor a gallery or some shyt but............. i have no other artistic ability cept i can do letters, bump to pars, and all u cats doin other shyt, graff canvas ok ...somtimes,, but kids.. try somtin new and more creative , y paint graff on canvas when u gotta hole city to work with?