The Babble

Al Green

The Spruce Goose

re: pilau hands and bobby's convo..

Spruce Goose

The History:

It was born of a critical national need to fly over the enemy submarines ravaging shipping lanes during World War II. First designated the HK-1 for the Howard Hughes and Henry Kaiser venture that responded to the government requirement, it was later called the H-4 Hercules.

The Hughes Flying Boat was to be the biggest airplane ever built and probably the most prodigious aviation project of all time. Only the courage and solitary dedication of Howard Hughes and his small development group caused this project to advance what a disgruntled U.S Senator dubbed the "flying lumberyard" resulting in its historic flight in November 1947.

Now commonly tagged the "Spruce Goose" the aircraft has endured to become a popular cultural artifact telling a remarkable story of sacrifice, determination, and technological development. The HK-1, still the biggest aircraft ever built, was decades ahead of its time in the early 1940s. It revolutionized jumbo flying bodies and large lift capability, shaping modern flight.

Along the way, the Flying Boat development encountered and dealt with tremendous design and engineering problems, from the testing of new concepts for large-scale hulls and flying control surfaces, to the incorporation of complex power boost systems that gave the pilot the power of 100 men in controlling this Hercules.

Engineers hung eight of the most powerful engines available on the huge wings, and designed a mammoth fuel storage and supply system to allow the long, over the water, flights. Mr. Hughes and his team accomplished all of this working with non-essential" materials, building a wood aircraft, mostly birch not spruce, that even many of his colleagues dismissed as impossible. All of this was done within the impractical schedule of wartime.

On November 2, 1947, Howard Hughes and a small engineering crew fired up the R-4360s for taxi tests and thrilled thousands of on-lookers with an unannounced flight. With Howard Hughes at the controls, the Flying Boat lifted 70 feet off the water, and flew one mile in less than a minute at a top speed of 80 miles per hour before making a perfect landing.

This trial was simple vindication from the detractors of the program and it is now looked back upon as a great moment in flight history. The popular Spruce Goose is now appropriately regarded as a true American icon.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spruce Goose Cont'd

http://www.se-technology.com/wig/images/hk1.jpg'>

http://www.sps700.org/01sepfundcrowd2.jpg'>

FYI: planes arent for flying with... they're for eating next to....and now you know.

http://www.sps700.org/01sepmb_goose2.jpg'>

http://www.befa.org.uk/images/models/goose1.jpg'>

a really dope scale model

http://www.xs4all.nl/~philow/sprucegoose4.jpg'> some orthographic drafts

http://www.tidewater.com/photo/goose.jpg'>

transporting the fuselage to the west coast.

http://home.earthlink.net/~helitac/photos/graphics/lg5bg.jpg'>

welcome back to the babble..

-bobby

Oh no you didn't

Next thing you know you'll be showing the YB-49 followed ME 262's, fu4 corsaires, A10 warthogs, pby5 catalinas, followed by mig 25 vs. f15 debates, and detailed explanations of why the B1 was doomed to failure due to buearacratic issue's outside of rockwell intl.

The future is bright for such steamers.

"Felching is when a man fucks you up the butt without a rubber. He shoots his load, and then plants his mouth on your anus and sucks out his own warm sperm, plus whatever lubricant and feces are present. That's felching. It may or may not," I add, "include kissing you to pass the sperm and fecal matter into your mouth."

Silence..

http://www.trash-times.com/images/articles/etfest03/doa1.jpg'>

My father clears his throat. "Bump," he says, "I think 'fletching' is the word your mother meant."

Silence..

(Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters)

very cool...

well... my weekend officially started at 7... time for drinks and debotchery..

joker...definitely different. a change from the super minimalist stuff ive seen of yours in the past year..

alright... because that inspired me..

im going to have to do some sketchbook time this weekend my in my new book.

keep babblin.

One day a truly lonely old man tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. "I hate bread crusts and these gawd damn cracks exclamation mark!" said he.

There was a time when he was young but if you were to ask me to tell you that storey i'd say that I’m telling a different storey because I don’t know so much about that. But I do know this storey so its the storey you are going to hear. So don’t bother asking thank you very much.

There was once a beautiful princess that wanted to be a boy. She was way too pretty of a gurl to ever be a boy. She heard voices in her sleep and sometimes you thought she was awake but she was actually napping. If you didn’t know she was snoozing she would hear you talk to her and think that she was hearing voices in her sleep and she would reply but you couldn’t hear her because she didn’t actually talk in her sleep. One of her arms was deformed and I found that sexy. When she was awake she heard voices that weren’t really there and when she was five a boy told her that the only reason she hears those voices in her head when she’s awake is because she’s a gurl. ...the same thing happened to the boys’ mother so he believed it to be true. It’s not that far to Portland if you think about it. So the princess wanted to be a boy but still kiss all the boys. and the boy who told her the lies, mother lies is in Riverview care facility on a bed in a soft green room all alone thinking of the time she was at the beach.

Enter that cranky old codger mumbling under his pea coat collar and half into a beat up brown paper bag “Ima think to get a cheese sandwich and leave the crust on the Prime Ministers door step. Take that Paul.”

Babble past the last ten minutes

Posted by 48:16

damn joker,

is that new, it kinda hearkens back to some older stuff you've done but it's almost old englishy looking.

aren't you a little old to be drawing on napkins?

-------------------------------------------------------

Yea, it's new. It's for a shirt company. They wanted something that was kin to the Old English work I was doing ten years ago. You're never too old to draw on napkins... never.

Posted by eseLokE1uno

Hey joker what kind of pens you use?

That sketch is in pencil. But when I do ink in I use a very special pen... one of my secrets. Well, you can buy them in just about any art supply store... but I ain't telling you guys!

T-shirt by DSR Visuals...