The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
just with regards to camera type and format, i used to use a pentax me-super, but do not own it anymore and would like to branch out with other things...so for someone who has been away from film for a while. what would be good to use to get back into the swing of things??

I think the most important question is what you actually want.

And how much money you can / want to spend on that hobby.

So you want to do film, not digital. Are you sure.

Is 35mm enough, or do you want / need a larger negative.

You said you had a Pentax SLR. Did you like it or do you want something different now.

Is autofocus important to you.

What do you intend to shoot, and what do you want to do with your pictures in the end,

just post them to the internet or make nice big prints.

If you're looking for a no nonsense, no auto focus, no frills type of 35mm SLR, I'd suggest checking out an Olympus OM1 or something similar from that time frame. I shot exclusively with an OM1 and a handful of lenses (primarily the F. Zuiko 50/1.8, which I really like) for probably 4 or 5 years. My dad bought the camera the year it came out (1972) and besides having to reseal the camera due to age and deterioration of some of the foam, it never had a single issue. Sub zero temps, 100+ and humid, dropped that shit a few times, drunk people mashing into it at concerts, whatever. It always worked exactly how it was supposed to. You can find the body + the F Zuiko lens for pretty goddamn cheap. And if 50mm isn't your thing, there are a million lenses that will work on it for cheap. And a million more if you're willing to buy some adapters. It's also worth mentioning that even though it's an SLR, it is not some monstrosity of a camera. With a short lens like the 50, you could definitely fit it in a jacket pocket. Hell, you could fit it in your pants pockets if you carried the caps and pulled off the lens to pocket it.

8341386456_0225a851b2_c.jpg

(So i was wondering if someone can help me out, the "deluxe" and front headlight are in focus but why isn't the rest of the car? my aperture was

at f22 so depth of field shouldn't be a problem, just seems like the rest of the car was moving at a different speed, im confused)

!

THe reason is because you're following the headlight as the focal point, your film/sensor is a flat object being rotated as you follow the headlight as you pan. , so the point of your film/sensor in the center, the headlight, is staying equa-distant from the car, at your set focus range, whereas the left side of your sensor is getting closer, as you rotate you camera to pan.

Does that make sense?

Nice stuff everyone, good to see a few pages of solid shit after a few weeks off the net.

I don't know if I've posted any digital stuff yet, but here's some shots from the 5D.

8371463361_c1f38423f8_z.jpg

17-40 f/4

8369394051_39ea222f90_z.jpg

This one is a Leica R 50mm 1.4

Such great colours. Getting a Pentax M42 adapter because I remembered I have a few of my grandads lenses which should work well on the digital body.

35mm scans up later tonight.

Sup everybody, I been lurking for far too long - mainly cuz I haven't really been photoing that much. Here's some random shit:

8372568274_cc957a6fe8_b.jpg

8371497021_8ed71f83fd_b.jpg

8372568322_3d7546603d_b.jpg

8372568428_6c6f4b3582_b.jpg

8371497167_f38c686627_b.jpg

8371497093_d96b4b3ecb_b.jpg

I got some projects on deck this year for the photo so I hope I'll be posting a lot more. Got a magazine coming out, I'll post a vid of it soon - good work everybody -

edit: hit me up on instagram @skhallisey thats where a good chunk of my energy's been

• Like 1

I don't care enough to clean every roll. They hang in the bathroom by the open window and I've got 2 trees right outside.

Ah, then I understand. I used to print in a tiny, under the stairs darkroom, and it was fucking dust central. Diligently cleaning off every negative strip pre-scan is a pain in the ass. I was envisioning a scanner that you hadn't cleaned since 2005 or a jbrshmonster style lens (ha!) that you throw in your bags with no caps on either end.

Yeah, the Ricoh is pretty much a diary for me. Although the battery died and now the date's all fucked up.

Also makes sense. I just have photo ADD and my eyes tend to keep getting drawn back to little shit like date stamps. Keep posting it all though.

Great work, i have the day off tomorrow so i hope to get some shooting done!

Waffle that's awesome!

another oldie.

also thinking about reviving the photo hunt thread (in ch.0). anyone down to do that?

I tried a couple of times and gave up.....i would be down though

another oldie.

daily, you ever get that envelope?

also thinking about reviving the photo hunt thread (in ch.0). anyone down to do that?

Oh dude I did, thanks heaps man. Was psyched on that, but then I forgot about the internet for a little bit haha.

I'd be down with the photo hunt thread, would be a lot easier now that I have some time and a digital camera.

Ah, then I understand. I used to print in a tiny, under the stairs darkroom, and it was fucking dust central. Diligently cleaning off every negative strip pre-scan is a pain in the ass. I was envisioning a scanner that you hadn't cleaned since 2005 or a jbrshmonster style lens (ha!) that you throw in your bags with no caps on either end.

I pretty much drop everything I have but I'm fairly good with keeping lenses clean-ish. But yeah, it's way too time consuming to clean everything. Every time I shoot I'm in a little photography rut and give up caring until after I've scanned the negs, vicious circle.

Daily - Awesome! i have a hard time trusting the postal service. glad it got there!

doodle - yeah its pretty tough to even keep that thread near page 1. i'll check it out and maybe do another list or whichever list was up last. the oontz is so fucking slow lately it would be cool to do something.

dig that house shot porra!

The music was so loud she couldn't hear me, she had the look of total violation on her face like a trusted relative had raped her or some shit.

It was so awkward, I felt bad for her, than I felt bad I deleted it.

HAHA!!!

This thread is so awesome I feel kinda lame posting anything to it. A couple digital point and shoot shots from a recent trip to Seattle:

8339661973_f34217f100.jpg

My husband and son in the Seattle Public Library.

There's a section in the middle of the building that is entirely red, it's pretty awesome:

8317191594_eac3b8d811.jpg

Holga shot of the tabernacle in St George, UT (where I live now):

8251067486_85e8bb1c09.jpg

There's a hiking trail near where I live that takes you up to a cliff covered in ancient petroglyphs:

8244725788_dc27a5dbd3_b.jpg

This is several exposures using a half-frame camera to make a panorama. On the right you can see some petroglyphs of animals.