The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I bought an original 5D recently. enjoying the full frame. good thing, too, cuz I shot the Houston Marathon in the cold and rain, so now my 2 T1i's are toast. sent them back to Canon.

strait out of the camera, no edits. 50mm @ 1.4, ISO 1600 with a cell phone flashlight for his face.

8416781717_05cb0abc28_b.jpg

Under Oath @ House of Blues Houston

8416778897_7de91b8965_b.jpg

porra was more adventurous than I was with this shot.

8417930494_5d535cc4cb_b.jpg

Yeah that's a lot of peoples life.

No offense, but it (photos) is not interesting if there isn't something 'new' or 'original' about it,

if you want an advice: shoot less, and make the effort to think about what exactly you think is good about a picture.

think about what you want your photos to show & look like.

they will be much more powerful i presume!

x-post from the Day in Pies thread:

Interesting story about this guy. I met him in that plaza in La Piedad (Michoacan, Mexico).

He said his name was Octavio and he was 98 years old.

He walks that plaza everyday before lunch.

He claimed to have been 7-10 years old when he camped out with Pancho Villa at

the Battle of Ciudad Juarez (1911). He said he would bring water, food, and candy to the

soldiers at their camp. I really don't know if his story was true, but I like to believe that it was.

This was def one of my fav portraits & photos that I've ever taken.

8419316407_30ff8032b4_b.jpg

MFH doing big things...

When you coming back to L.A.? I got some taco spots..

April 10th - 15th. Working Coachella for LAWEEKLY. Flying in 2 days early (Wednesday), we leave for Indio on Thursday, festival is Friday to Sunday, come back Monday, leave on Tuesday.

I'm thinking you, me, & Pistol should hit the Dodgers game that Monday.

Also, I found this awesome taco truck on La Brea @ Olympic:

7358792290_ed063c5441_b.jpg

7358791816_5b12515616_b.jpg

7173560481_e571847ce9_b.jpg

7358794800_9dc39d19a3_b.jpg

I'm the guy real photographers complain about for not knowing what the fuck an ISO is or how lens flare happens. Sorry. Most of my "work" is with a little point and shoot. But I take a ton of pictures. Feedback would be appreciated.

Not to be a dick, but the best feedback you're going to get is to do a bunch of reading so you do understand what the fuck an ISO is and all of the other basics of shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, light metering, etc. Generally folks in here are very helpful at answering questions/offering advice, but if you come out and admit you know nothing, there isn't much motivation for us to offer advice when you should just be digging through all of the useful, basic, starter info on the internet. Without the basics, any advice we offer up is more or less useless because it isn't going to mean anything to you.

Not to be a dick, but the best feedback you're going to get is to do a bunch of reading so you do understand what the fuck an ISO is and all of the other basics of shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, light metering, etc. Generally folks in here are very helpful at answering questions/offering advice, but if you come out and admit you know nothing, there isn't much motivation for us to offer advice when you should just be digging through all of the useful, basic, starter info on the internet. Without the basics, any advice we offer up is more or less useless because it isn't going to mean anything to you.

That's not being a dick, you're probably right dude. I've been meaning to spend more time on the technical stuff but just haven't put it at as high a priority as I should. Noted.

Yeah. Do a fair bit of reading on the basics, shoot a lot, do more in depth reading to improve on things you're struggling with, shoot a lot more, repeat, repeat, repeat. The more photos you take, the more mistakes/successes you will have and the more comfortable you're going to be getting the photo you want instead of just the photo that the camera is producing for you in full auto, or however you've been shooting.

Don't be afraid to shoot the same photo a handful (or a whole bunch) of times with various settings/angles/framing/etc. Then, assuming you have access to a program that shows exif data, look at that information when you're reviewing your photos and figure out what is and isn't working for specific photos. With a bit of reading and practice, you'll quickly start seeing how you can shoot the same photo, from the same angle, with the same framing and simply by changing some of your settings/focal points/etc, end up with drastically different photos. Or how a slight change to your angle or framing can absolutely make or break a photo.

Most of this info is assuming you have manual exposure options. If not, and you're semi serious about doing photography, there are a shitload of cheap, starter options I'm sure we can throw out to you to get the ball rolling.

Does your point and shoot give you manual exposure options?

It has the option to adjust ISO speed, so...yes? It looks like that, shutter speed, and aperture all fall under the term exposure? But I don't see options for the latter two.

Yeah. Do a fair bit of reading on the basics, shoot a lot, do more in depth reading to improve on things you're struggling with, shoot a lot more, repeat, repeat, repeat. The more photos you take, the more mistakes/successes you will have and the more comfortable you're going to be getting the photo you want instead of just the photo that the camera is producing for you in full auto, or however you've been shooting.

Don't be afraid to shoot the same photo a handful (or a whole bunch) of times with various settings/angles/framing/etc. Then, assuming you have access to a program that shows exif data, look at that information when you're reviewing your photos and figure out what is and isn't working for specific photos. With a bit of reading and practice, you'll quickly start seeing how you can shoot the same photo, from the same angle, with the same framing and simply by changing some of your settings/focal points/etc, end up with drastically different photos. Or how a slight change to your angle or framing can absolutely make or break a photo.

Most of this info is assuming you have manual exposure options. If not, and you're semi serious about doing photography, there are a shitload of cheap, starter options I'm sure we can throw out to you to get the ball rolling.

I've started doing more research. I've got the "shoot a lot" part down, just the more technical stuff is foreign. If you guys have more to say, as to not take up thread space, feel free to PM me. Or, if you think this info could help more users of course keep it public, I just don't want to hijack the thread for my learning purposes.

Thanks yall.

April 10th - 15th. Working Coachella for LAWEEKLY. Flying in 2 days early (Wednesday), we leave for Indio on Thursday, festival is Friday to Sunday, come back Monday, leave on Tuesday.

I'm thinking you, me, & Pistol should hit the Dodgers game that Monday.

Also, I found this awesome taco truck on La Brea @ Olympic:

7358792290_ed063c5441_b.jpg

7358791816_5b12515616_b.jpg

7173560481_e571847ce9_b.jpg

7358794800_9dc39d19a3_b.jpg

Agreed..