The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
great ass thread. i dont have teh moneys for a camera. and i dont have the skill neither.

its too bad that people end up feeling like this. Getting an old camera for free/less than 20 dollars or so and shooting film (its like 5 dollars a roll, with development, and thats 36 shots) is totally affordable, and thats how you get teh skillz. That as well as looking at and thinking about a lot of photos, i.e. this thread. actually i don't even think you really need a camera to improve your photo skills, to some extent. Just thinking about how you look at things helps.

this is one of my favorite threads, sometime i will overcome my laziness and scan and post some stuff.

how do you do this? i have been wanting to know forever and havent been able to find any good info on it. i always see people doing that horrible hdr where everything looks completely fake and blahh, there are few doing it the right way like you...

you can do similar HDR style effects, by using your shadow/highlight tool.

you bring out some of the values int he darks, and then darken the values in the highlights,

and it will give the "dynamic range" to the photos.

then sharpen some and desaturate to desired effect.

Most of the people I work with are, shall we say, characters. That is Patrick, front man and brains behind the band Pataphysics. Moments before this, he was reading from this book about "new sin" to a few of our customers. It was like some sort of creepy tent revival. He liked this picture so much that he is gonna bring the rest of the band to work to take some pictures while we work tomorrow.

The best part of it is that we won't get in trouble for fucking around on the clock. Our district manager came in a few moments before I took this picture. The following conversation transpired:

DM: What are you guys doing?

*Everyone stares at the floor. I snap off a shot of him*

Me: I'm just teaching these guys how to use Nikon's on-camera flash commander.

*I scroll through a few pictures for him*

DM: Wow! Where did you learn this stuff?

Me: Here. It's been slow and the store is in good shape, so I just started reading up.

DM: Is this gonna help you sell more product?

Me: Damn right it is!

DM: Well keep up the good work, guys. Nice pictures by the way.

Seriously, this guy is a hard-ass, but he loved these pictures. I was sooooo stoked.