The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
It can be grimy as fuck in some areas especially when you get on the outskirts of DTLA.

Crack bums be getting mad when the camera is out and your near them.

funny you should mention that..me and my gf were there maybe a month ago to just shop and take a couple pictures, some crazy ass fool in a wheelchair comes up to us while we were parking and is asking how we are and how the photography business is going (keep in mind we have never seen him before and both our cameras are in the trunk). then he starts yelling at us and saying that i took his picture and he wants it back and if not then he needed a million dollars for it.

at that point he pulled out a shank and jumped out of his wheelchair, no lie. i threw the car in reverse and got the FUUUUck out of there haha.

i have been near downtown towards the ten freeway after dark and it is sketchy as fuck over there. luckily the two times i have been caught there late it has been with people that lived in the area and knew the people, but i would never go there after dark alone, especially with a camera.

do you live near downtown?

dsc00444sa0.jpg

Opinions pleeaseeee??

unless your using panoramic film/lens, try to compose your picture when you take it, not when you get home to photoshop. otherwise, your photos will remain hit or miss. personally, unless the subject has a lot of horizontal movement, panoramic styles look very cramped to me. this one not so much, but that's because there isn't much going on.

sorry if that was harsh

funny you should mention that..me and my gf were there maybe a month ago to just shop and take a couple pictures, some crazy ass fool in a wheelchair comes up to us while we were parking and is asking how we are and how the photography business is going (keep in mind we have never seen him before and both our cameras are in the trunk). then he starts yelling at us and saying that i took his picture and he wants it back and if not then he needed a million dollars for it.

at that point he pulled out a shank and jumped out of his wheelchair, no lie. i threw the car in reverse and got the FUUUUck out of there haha.

i have been near downtown towards the ten freeway after dark and it is sketchy as fuck over there. luckily the two times i have been caught there late it has been with people that lived in the area and knew the people, but i would never go there after dark alone, especially with a camera.

do you live near downtown?

I used to live near downtown, but not anymore. Its a quick drive though. I've had all sorts of run ins with homeless cats. The situation can turn real quick with them. The more you go towards East L.A. the more you have to worry about gangsters.

I used to live near downtown, but not anymore. Its a quick drive though. I've had all sorts of run ins with homeless cats. The situation can turn real quick with them. The more you go towards East L.A. the more you have to worry about gangsters.

its strange, i work with the homeless every weekend, but in the city of pomona; and the difference between them and those in la is amazing. i hardly ever get into crazy situations when i volunteer but it seems like half of the ones i meet in downtown are insane, and violent.

^^^ Motley Sunglow cornsnake?

The shoes were lit with a Profoto Probox, covering up one Profoto strobe. I used a few white scrims to bounce the light and get more fill on the sides of the shoes.

The more I learn about lighting the more I realize I need to keep learning about it. Currently I lack the funds to play with fancy gear like you, so until my pocket gets fatter I'll have to make do with my SB600 and ingenuity.

I'm not exactly sure of my snakes specific type but he's not a Motley Sunglow. He just looks that way in the flick since I bumped up the contrast. Probably a Amelanistic Corn Snake.

Thanks for the info

Gotcha, I used to own a Motley Sunglow. He was badass.

As for my lighting equipment, it's mostly all through my school. I can check out studios, darkrooms, lighting, cameras, etc.

Anything you can think of, they probably have it.

I do use a Nikon SB-600 for my DSLR though and it's pretty reliable. I would like to get an upgrade to the SB-800 and use my SB-600 as a slave flash unit.