writers fine art

Removed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BigJoe

is that an indirect way of saying you dont like this series?

its not neccessarily graff anyway, just elements of it tied in with a few art nevau references , also some tattoo art style influences...

these paintings do not hold any great political signicicance or philisophical content, they are more and excisize in content and composition...

i dont mind if you dont like them , that is to be expected , but im interseted in what you mean by this statment.

he doesnt like anything. dont sweat it.

the only thing he dislikes more is stuff that looks like his. unless its one of his friends.

Originally posted by sixteenvandals

the truth is, its hard to take "art" serious when its with markers like paintpens and sharpies.

it is soo hard to make graff look decent as art.

keep trying.

16v.

HMM I dont know.I mean if you are trying make money off fillins on canvas sure...I think its the artist not the utensil..I see alot of people using high quality art supplies but creating absolute crapola..Working at an art store in the past killed the whole expensive equals proffessional thing..

to prove that here is an example

A Painting done with paint marker by the mac..No strings attached

http://www.artcrimes.com/mac/laetitia_casta_mac.jpg'>

what i mean is that tattoo art is not a fine art, you wont see tattoo flash art in museums ever, and rarely will you see anything done in marker.

16v.

yeah true but the every so often there is a paradigm shift in the way ppl think of art, i think there is one occuring as we speak, now im not saying im on the cusp here, simply it may or may not be favourable ...

I know what your saying but if someone can hang a toilet seat on the wall i can paint with markers on canvass..

a cheesy example it illustrates my point..

"Joker, you are one handsome man. I'd buy you a drink or two." ... hunh? When have you ever seen pictures of me? I'm like a shadow... I stay out of the light.

I don't know who did that stuff right above my post... but it's damn nice!

Silo... very nice! Haven't seen anything like that before from you.

And I think it's important to note that the piece posted from Mac is done using the stipple technique. You can't really see it through the jpeg but let me tell ya... it's incredible.

Also, GoatWhore... 16v is talking about tattoo flash art. There's a difference.

16v... I think we've had this conversation once before, and I lost, but are you saying that it's impossible to make art out of graffiti? No matter what tools you use? Would the acceptance of Twist and Espo into the 'art world' defy that theory? I'm not starting an arguement I'm just curious about what you're saying.

Guest KING OF HELL

what i mean is that tattoo art is not a fine art, you wont see tattoo flash art in museums ever, and rarely will you see anything done in marker.

16v.

actually, I believe that there is tattoo art both on the skin and off in a few museums as of right now. I dont know if i'd call it "fine art" or not, but ot because of any question to its legitimacy as an art form, but maybe because the scope of what alot of people consider as "fine art" is quite specific sometimes.

working at a tattoo shop i can tell you that quite alot of flash is done with markers, but also with other materials.

as with most of your staments on here i agree "mostly".

as far as making art with paint pens and markers...yeah i agree that people tend to grasp at the obvious andmake some real predictableby boring shit, however those tools are made with making art to begin with.

ive seen some amazing work come from people just using a pen. i just think they need to try harder. like jjoker, im not trying to have an argument, just trying to have a little discussion.

anyone ever incorperate a woman into a piece??

not taking about a charector behind it or letter format as the woman's body. but actually using the woman as the fill. im working on it now actually, doing it in oils. ill post in when im done.

the truth is, its hard to take "art" serious when its with markers like paintpens and sharpies.

it is soo hard to make graff look decent as art.

keep trying.

16v.

This is daft

you don't have to "make" graff look like art

it is art.

So what if it isn't validated by some of society? So what if it doesn't share a lot in common with most other art movements?

^^^ these are admirable traits in an art movement!

And I can't help but notice from the pieces posted in this thread that people believe that simply taking out the letters will turn graff into art. Discuss

to fuel the fire of discourse......

what i dont understand is why people do the same shit they do on the "street" in a gallery show.

not to belittle someones craftsmanship..

or achievement of aesthetic.

but personally,

an important part of what makes graffiti interesting relevant is that i has such a great dialogue with its context.

graf is part writing, placement, execution, dance/performance.. among and not excluding other things ...art

(Excluding legal wall people thats an issue im not touching)but i just dont see the purpose of doing the same piece on a canvas or a tag on an object... its pure aesthetic..

im not talking from some high art bs perspective but i can if youre interested in going there.... i just think its a waste of a possibility to use art to speak in more dynamic ways.

maybe it makes sense in a more advertisement way.. where seeing a brand name on the street, on tv on the radio etc etc.. the phenomenology of it...building some identity.. is backing up a product or an object.... you can buy purchase understand.. benefit.. whatever..

i see graff on the street everywhere some name over an over a slogan... so finally i get curious i respect where theyve put their name how theyve acted in order to get me to view it... and i go check out their gallery opening.. and all it is is more of the shit ive seen out on the street.. just executed better ...but out of context..

honestly.. to me its a let down. Im sure people wont agree and be it known i do find aesthetics important and i do like appealing things... i just have an ideal.. i dont necessarily think people need to fulfill it.

-bob

Archived