ghetto food

Guest Wilt

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

then ketchup sandwiches followed by a nice honey or mustard sandwich followed by a tall glass of warm sugar water should do the trick.

or hot bread. my brother loves that shit. you take a slice of bread... and put hot sauce on it

i liked vinyl junkies trick.

when we went to taco bell yesterday my boy was broke an stood in line with us an was like "is there where you keep your cups" an some lady just gave him a bigass cup for no reason outta the stack an he had like a free half gallon of soda to his dome for later.

sometimes its not being innovative at all is what gets the job done heh.

or this other dude i know who calls it smut peddlin when he leaves his house wrapped up in a blanket and bothers the wonderbread delivery truck driver for a loaf or two. he eventually did it so many times he didnt have to ask for it anymore. hed just wrap himself up in a blanket an walk across the street an the dude would be like "here ya go son" and he had a supply of free bread.

he also recently got a tattoo that one of his boys just blatantly carved "smut" into him. i suggest the bread idea. not the tattoo one

poverty/food strategies

Some of these require small amounts of cash, cleverness, and leaving the house.

-Happy hour food: depends on your area, but a lot of smaller, friendlier cities have bars that offer free food at happy hour (4-7PM or so). They're hoping you'll drink and spend money. You can go with the cheapo option (just eat free food till you get kicked out) or drop a buck or a buck and a half on a soda at the bar and keep going back for an all-you-can-eat situation. Of course it helps to be old enough to be in a bar.

-Malls with food courts are a good spot to eat if you're broke, especially if they have an Asian place that serves heaps of food in reclosable styrofoam containers. Just watch for people who weren't that hungry and close up their container of unfinished rice, meat, vegetables, etc. and grab it out of the trash before anything else gets thrown on top of it. Some sharing of strange saliva required...but hey, this is a ghetto thread.

-If you drink tea or hot chocolate or instant coffee, you can save $$ when you're roaming around. Just take teabags, hot chocolate or coffee envelopes with you when you go out. 98% of the coffee, donut, and convenience stores I go to don't charge for a cup of hot water, so you save a buck or more every time.

-Supermarkets are also chill - salad bar, bakery, whatever. Push a cart like you're shopping, even throw some stuff in it, discreetly snack on your selections (in camera-free aisles, like pet food), and abandon the cart when you're done.

-Of course, this is a ghetto thread, so you can always just rack some food, but we don't really discuss that stuff on here anymore so forget I mentioned it.

cheese sandwiches, its not really ghetto but those things are dope. a few of them fill you up and it doesnt cost that much to have mad cheese sammiches. and always eat stuff when your at the grocery store "shopping"...you'd be surprised what youcan get away with when people think your buying it, when I was real little my mom used to let us eat a bunch of grapes and fruit snacks and nobody ever said anything to us.

at mcdonalds they used to have 30cent sorft serve cones, my friend used to buy a dollars worth to fill him up...

but then again the same guy stole handsoap from public toilets in a coke bottle...and free toilet paper. he also had a voucherbook/coupon for everything (when it said not to be used in conjunction with any other offer he would try anyway, plus the vouchers were always passed use by date)

now if thats not ghetto what is

mac an cheese like this

you boil the macoroni like you would do normally, except your at your boys house an theres no fucking butter or milk, an you got like half a shotglass of milk someone left behind at your house an even if you got butter its got all fuckin old burnt toast crunchies in it. so you smoke a blunt come back an sprinkle the powdered cheese on top of the noodles an since your high as shit you cant tell the difference. this ones proven.

Guest Ted Wakowski

Damn, I got serious strategies involving odd receipt transactions and other fine-point illegalities. I have to hold back though since the site isn't about that.

if you have prarie dogs that live near you, and most people do have shitloads. go shoot them and eat them. NOt really but.

I do the dry ramen cracker thing, except i sprinkple the flavoring powder over the cracker. This gives it flavor, and i seriously think it tastes really good. Eating in stores works well too.

Take tortillas, add anything you want that would taste good hot or melted put it in oven till stuff is melted. Then add anyvegtables you have, its good. Cerial with oarnge juice actually taste good. I made cerial with ice tea once. That was good.

If you have popsicle molds try making yougurt or milk popsicles.

if that fails, look in dumpsters. Or go to a middle class neighboorhood door to door and ask if they have any food they could spare. That works well.

When You're Poor, You Gotta Plan Ahead

I don't know if I get this ghetto food thing or not. The thing is, "convenience foods", like Frenchie's chicken here in Houston (if you never had any, get yo' ass down to Scott Street with a five dollar bill for a first rate meal) or Timmy Chan's chicken wings and vegetable fried rice, are extremely ghetto, but they are not cheap. The Family Cafe on Blodgett has genuine Southern style ghetto chow, but it is expensive. Soul food: barbequed ribs, fried half chickens, big ass fried pork chops, Louisiana rice and beans, black eyes and bacon, mashed potatoes and brown gravy, collard greens, biscuits the size of a baseball---that's real ghetto food. Even in dirt poor Houston neighborhoods, there's a little Southern-style cookin' restaurant that sells food like this.

Eating like this requires no planning. If you got money, you just go to Frenchies' and enjoy a big bag of chicken wings and french fries and a watered-down Coke for $5. No finer chicken wings in Texas. Leave your pistol in the ride, though, 'cause they employ a no-bullshit cop off duty to weed out the dumbasses that bring their guns into the restaurant.

The trick if you're poor is to plan ahead. When you do have some money, you buy food in quantity that will keep you eating for a while. Twenty-five pounds of rice in a plastic bag will keep you going quite a while. So will twenty-five pounds of pinto beans. Buy "dents" at the grocery store--there's always a shopping cart full of cans that got dented. Never buy one that's dented on the seam, though, only on the middle of the can. If the top or bottom is "swelled," fuck it, it's a bad can. Buy day-old bread at the bread store--half off, sometimes even more. Look for specials, and you can sometimes find stuff like Little Debby snack cakes for four for a dollar and shit like that. You can get those less desireable cuts of meat at the grocery store cheap too. Chicken backs, wings. The rich folks love chicken breasts. Poor folks eat the parts nobody else will pay for. This is how "wings an' rice" got to be so popular. Also, here in Texas, in real ghetto grocery stores, they sell shit like squirrel, raccoon and possum at the butcher counter. The brands are always brands you never heard of in your life, too. You never see Del Monte or Green Giant canned vegetables in grocery stores like this. It's more like Bargain Basket, Dixie Girl and Tchouchacoula's Special. They always have an unusual odor, too. Smells like maybe something spoiled in the back.

But most of all, ghetto grocery store have a huge cooler for beverages, and they have a large selection of wines like MD 20/20, Night Train, Fairbanks White Port and Thunderbird in handy half-pint sizes, and plenty of inexpensive beers in glass quarts and 40 oz. cans.

In my experience, being poor does not mean eating shitty food. It means eating well, but , eating food that doesn't cost much. Lots of pasta--macaroni and hamburger, macaroni and tuna fish cassaroles with cheese, stuff like that. Eating hot cakes made out of bread sounds less likely than eating hotcakes made from scratch with syrup, but no bacon, no eggs and no juice. Coffee with sugar. No telephone in the house, but everybody owns a pager. Mama has no car, but they have a color TV. The lawn needs mowing, and the house needs lots of repairs, but everybody has new clothes and new, expensive tennis shoes. The family has no savings account, but everybody expects to dry-clean their clothes. That's pretty ghetto. Folks do what they can, but their choices are not always rational.

Guest Wilt

yo chozer....just because you own things..doesn't mean you're poor..i depend on computers to finance my life....literally..im not obsessed with living ghetto...im stuck like that....i dont have a choice..im living off of the state.try that on bro...i wash my fucking clothes once a month because i can't afford to do it more...and even with "cost effective" grocery shopping...i come up short about 1.5 weeks and have to live like shit.its not an obsession its a life...i know people have it even worse than me and that humbles me...

yo wilt, you need a better advocate. my friends are in the same boat, it's truly sad how much the government expects people can live on, especially when they have mental problems, and oftentimes no kitchen.

you could work part time maybe, too? or go to the food place in your area for one free meal. better yet, volunteer at one of these places, that way they won't give a shit about sending you home with leftovers, and you can eat and work sometimes.

I don't see how getting a better advocate is any solution. Fuck the government. You need to get your goddamn game face on and GO TO SCHOOL. We got people all over this country whining about how hard life is, how they got no chance, how it's all society's fault that they turned to crime. WHAT A BUNCH OF SHIT. I have rode freight trains all OVER this motherfucker looking for work and having a good time doing it. I have dumpstered dived every stinky Dempsey Dumpster in town looking to scratch out a living. I washed my clothes in a plastic five-gallon bucket and dried them on a piece of Romex wire I snagged out of the dumpster, tied between two trees. I have done about a hundred different jobs--I worked in a shipyard in Houston as a welder's helper in 110 degree weather. I worked as a janitor stripping and waxing floors in a building on Market Street in San Francisco. I worked construction jobs in Houston, I joined the Marines and carried a rifle for a living, I harvested wheat and green peas, I worked as a grease monkey greasing and lubing long-haul trucks, I worked at a silage pit, driving a 20 ton Navy bomb hoist, dumping 50,000 pound loads of silage over the pit wall to a dozer operator. I have fed cattle on a dairy farm and welded farm equipment on a wheat farm. I've welded grain silos full of grain, and posted bill board posters up on freeway billboards.

THERE IS WORK OUT THERE IF YOU'RE WILLING TO DO IT.

Did I get sick of working my ass off? Yeah, I sure did. But instead of sitting in my little two-bit town trying to figure a way to worm more Unemployment pay out of the State, I went to college and learned to operate machine tools and be a machinist. I moved, to a bigger city, where there would be more work, and put my wife through school. Then, unhappy with the poor wages they pay machinists, I went BACK to school and got another degree, this time as a nurse. It was the smart thing for me to do. Only 11% of nurses are men. The hospitals are desparate to hire male nurses, because their Equal Opportunity statistics look like shit--virtually all women.

Now I have the reverse problem. I'm making enough money that I can't justify quitting and going to do whatever I want. I have obligations. I own decent cars, a house, and so on. All that stuff requires that I continue to work, and to tell you the absolute truth, I want to go ride trains for a while, I'm sick of going to work every day. My family is overjoyed that I have finally achieved economic "success", but frankly, I'd rather be free and poor than well-off and tied to the same job day after day after day. Each situation has severe limitations. It's hard to live life the way I wish I could. I SHOULD HAVE INVESTED MY MONEY WHEN I WAS YOUNG, AND NOW I'D BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER I WANT WITHOUT WORKING TOO HARD. But just like you guys, I wouldn't listen. And most likely, you won't listen either. There it is. But, it is, I'm happy to say, nobody's fault but my own.

hey man, i'm happy for you, you've made it, but mental illness is real, and it isn't easy. sure, we all know lots of people who claim to be mentally ill and still lead productive lives, but that is the exception to the rule. that is no reason to go hungry. society's safety net has lots of holes, and it's very easy to slip through (i.e. not get paid enough to live on). you might argue that if people get the money they might waste it, that's a horrible arguement. if people get the money they might just survive. you tell me how a person can live in this day and age on six grand a year. maybe they could earn ten or twelve grand in a min. wage job if they can hold it down and then what, they are still about eight to ten grand away from being able to afford to live in any big city except (insert most big cities here). but then, well, they'd not be getting thier six or what have you, even a mentally stable person would be hard pressed to exploit himself for that. therefore, they face living the shameful existance of scraping by or crime or illegal drugs. this is no life, there are problems that come from living this way that current m. h. treatment ignores and shoves under the rug. we're supposed to be a shameless society, yet we have lots of dirty secrets. and then there is wellfare, that's an even worse situation. we're talking about children here, far more impressionable than the mentally ill. making children lie so that momma can still get paid, that's criminal in my book, and it's not the mom i'm pointing the finger at.

Guest PHYNE
Originally posted by chozer

very few of the people on here i would think are really ghetto, or you wouldnt have a computer.... [/b]

thats really funny.im ghetto well i stay in the ghetto..i know mad people who are ghetto and got computers...you rack paint they rack what the fuck ever they can to get loot...ghetto food - my favorite ghetto shit to eat ...cheese and mayo sandwich...and no im not bullshitting...i dont eat alot of meat well hardly none but for some reason the cheese and mayo go together quite well. another one is chips and ketchup....

im sure there are others who love doritos and shredded cheese? thats the real shit right there..:crazy: :D

Guest Wilt

i would get a job...but i have tons and tons of school.....its relaxed for right now..but starting next week it gets insane..i just simply wanted to see if people had simple household solutions to hunger..im glad this expanded to greater things..

Guest greedy mars
Originally posted by drutagsalot

chips and ketchup is the shit

thats the leasty ghetto ist.. thing on here. its a fucking chip,.. humtpy dumpty. word up

Less than $6,000 a year

23578---In Walla Walla, Washington, in the middle of the coldest winter in Washington history, or even Oregon Territory history, I supported my family on $99 a week. Three people: me, my wife and my toddler daughter. That works out to (uh, let's see, get out my handy calculator) $5,148 per year. I got an Unemployment check every two weeks for $198. Believe it or not, the sonofabitches take TAXES out of Unemployment. I really hated that.

That works out to $33 a piece, per week.

How did we do it? Well, for one thing, we cut back to the absolutely bare bones in terms of spending. We did stuff like heat our house with a wood stove, instead of gas (and yes, it was real cold.) I stood in line for Welfare cheese, down at the County warehouse. I stopped drinking alcohol, completely. We could not afford it. My wife quit smoking, same reason. We bought food in the cheapest places we could find. We stopped drinking soda pop, and switched to coffee or tea. We shopped at the Sally Ann and St. Vinnie's and other thrift stores, for everything we wore except underwear and socks. I rode a bicycle to look for work, in the snow, because gasoline was too expensive.

I had a broke-down Toyota pick-up, and a 1961 Chevy welding truck. The Chevy had a bad water pump, and I couldn't afford to buy a new one. When I finally got a job, I was filling up the block with hot water from the tap every morning (several milk jugs full of hot water) and then driving to work, and opening the radiator drain and draining all the water out, so the block wouldn't freeze, because my truck didn't have a block heater, and I was too broke to afford one.

The job I got (and was grateful to get) paid $47 a day for ten hours work, six days a week. It was classed as an agricultural job, even though we worked in a farm shop, building agricultural fertilizer spreaders. That's $4.70 an hour. No vacation, no benefits, no holidays. We got 30 minutes for lunch. It was so cold in the shop that if you got a cup of coffee in the break room and carried it out to the shop, if you worked for ten minutes it would freeze solid as a rock in your cup. Like a brown ice cube. That job, by the way, jumped our family income to $14,664 a year, except it wasn't a full-time, 12-months a year job. It was seasonal. I worked there until spring and then got a job welding wood stoves on an assembly line. It paid $5.75 an hour, but I only had to work five days, because the company was owned by Seventh-Day Adventists, and they went to church on Saturday. All the hired help claimed to be regular mainline Christians, who allegedly worshiped on Sunday. So we got the weekends off. I actually did go to church once in a while. Most of the time my day of rest was spent splitting and ricking firewood.

There is no excuse for not trying to make life better. I didn't succeed because I am so smart (I'm not) or because I'm lucky. Things got better in my life because I made a plan and I just kept putting one foot in front of the other until the thing worked out. I have increased my income over eight times what it was in 1984, by just being relentlessly persistant. I didn't have to turn to crime, and I didn't have to lie, cheat or steal from anybody. I did have to go to school, though.

Anybody can do it. You just have to be motivated to succeed and absolutely determined that you will not give up, no matter what.

Archived