Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

High School Question.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by KniggazInDemStreetz, Apr 16, 2006.

1. KniggazInDemStreetz

KniggazInDemStreetz Senior Member

OK, so I have been on spring break the past week, and I have also been sick and at home, so I've had a lot of time to think about what I'm avoiding, school.

Currently I am a sophmore in a pretty good high school, second semester, last quarter of the school year. I have never done good in school at all and have never really cared either. Freshman year I got straight C's and D's, and I have failed a class this year, which I most likely be attending first semester of summer school for, unless I kissed my teachers ass well enough. It's not that big of a deal, but summer school will get my dad pissed because he wants me to be able to chouffer the little ciblings to summer camp and stuff while him and my mom work.

Anyways, my grades currently are 3 classes failing, maybe 4, and two passing, the other one missing class is resource, I'm in special education, not for a real learning disability but I am deemed hearing impared, mildy, it really doesn't affect me but last year my teachers thought having help in school might help, but I'm doing a little worse this year.

Having explained my situation, I am not here complaining about my marks, I have broght this upon myself by not paying attention, doing work, and pissing my teachers off, but I have a question for all you high school graduates, and I guess those of you who didn't complete high school as well, because I have been thinking about this a lot recently.

Question

Assume that I pass my classes with C's and D's this semester, you know, just to finish off the year without failing. And next year (junior year) I come back and put effort into school achieving above C marks.

So in the hypothetical scenario that I do well next year, and get good ACT results (my projected scores are around 26, which puts me higher in the runnings for those, which helps me a LITTLE), how do some of you think it will be getting into colleges.

Right now I have my heart set on not leaving the city, and I wanted to attend a college of arts, but this could very well change by the time I need to apply. But how hard is it to get into an Art College as opposed to a normal University or something. Added in the fact that my grades would be really sub-par freshman and sophmore year, and assuming they will rise.

Do art schools look at your portfolios more, or can you kind of talk your way into school? What is the real deal in your opinions.

I'm asking you guys because I think it nmight bring better information than biased school councelers or my teachers, parents, so on.

I have reasons I'd like to stay in the city, and I want to move out asap, but that is going to sit on the back burner, because now I'm really concerned with at least with at least getting accepted to one place in the city, that I'd like to go to.
    I guess I've been on that future planning tip lately because I'm concerned with some things.

Thanks to those who respond seriously.

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

today is the first day of the rest of your life... get yourself beer and we'll talk about it... after Family Guy.

3. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

dont be a lazy bumfuck and put some effort in for once.

grades do matter to a certain degree, and good ones can only help you. It symbolizes that you arent a bumassnigga and have work ethic.

ADVICE

Aim higher than a C average and youll get into a good school. period.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  4. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Member

i can tell you that i wish i had tried harder.
    i wanted to go to chicago for college.
    im fucked now dogg.

but local universities are better then flippin hamburgers.

STAY IN SCHOOL

5. BIF.BEELOWS

BIF.BEELOWS Junior Member

6. KniggazInDemStreetz

Well I'm in Chicago so I have some options, but I'm sayiiiiin'.

7. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

8. StupidDope

StupidDope Member

9. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

im saying -

i live in chicago i go to columbia

stick with school

no excuses.

10. cixelsyd

cixelsyd Member

my mistake was taking all the hard classes i could and getting the requirements done so i basically have a gpa of 2.5 because of poor planning. The thing to do that most highschool kids dont is take all your required courses then take easy classes so your gpa remains above a 2.0. I tried doing calculus sophomore year and it just fucked up my whole game plan because i got a two d's. so get your required classes done then just relax and get that 3.0 or higher gpa so colleges are impressed, but also study for your SAT's, or do what im doing and go to community college route so you dont have to do sat's and you can transfer to basically whatever college you desire. enjoy highschool. Also stay in school, you dont want to end up living in Martinez in a rundown apartment with fleas. holla.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2006
  11. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Veteran Member

im not american and dont kno how ur schooling works, but i am a student so i gotta ask, if u can barely cut it in highschool, what makes u think u can at college
    my dude, it only gets harder from there, and a better work ethic does not develop over night

12. MOE-LESTER

MOE-LESTER Banned

high school the is ONLY TIME GRADES MATTER! just bust your ass off in high school and get into some kind of college. almost all colleges dont care about grades, you get the diploma regardless if you have a C average or a A average.

i wish i tried harder in high school, i woulda had ALOT more options instead of the shitty ones i do now. and about the art schools, they dont give a shit about grades, most of them are desperate for students

13. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube Veteran Member

Try hard. Try real fucking hard. Fuck anyone who tells you otherwise. You've still got a couple of years to bust your ass. Don't wait until the last minute. It won't matter then.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  14. Soup BDC

Soup BDC Member

Okay, here's the thing about art colleges:

-Art college is in no way a replacement to going to a real college. Your education ends when you graduate highschool, all the more reason to pay attention now. If you ask art teachers, they'll tell you that a few years ago, most of the student body were mid 20's early 30's people who already graduated college. It's just becoming something people go into right out of highschool.

-70% of your class will be emo.

-30-60% of your class have no future in art, and drop out.

Most art colleges look at an art portfolio/GPA. If your gpa is high enough they'll accept you without a well done portfolio. Academy Art University in SF doesn't give a shit. They figure if you've got the balls to pay for art school, you must think you have a future in it.

Next year buckle the fuck down, there's really nothing else you should be doing. Highschool parties suck anyway. Tell yourself GED's not an option.
    Find something in these classes that's worth your time and that'll get you through them.

15. KniggazInDemStreetz

Maybe by the end I willl decide I do not want to pursue anything related to art, I just know that once it comes down to my life, I'm not going to be doing something dead-end, it's going to be something good, either that or homelessness. But yeah, I am saying I have to aim higher than a C, my GPA cannot be higher than a 3.0 by the end of highschool, it actually probably wont be much more than 2.3-5 because it's 1.7 now. But I am just really curious if I have already withdrawn myself from being able to go to a respectable school, not that it matters.

What's a non-shitty career?