High School Question.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My high school gave me my last year free because I wasn't doing bad enough to kick out and they knew I was under perfroming and likely to leave. Than I dropped out of community college. Now I make more money than any person I know that went through college. The moral of this story, if you want to be like a doctor, you need school - if you are less inclined towards a specific career, be a gangster...which is exactly what I told a knock out blonde last Sunday before I walked away from her table (according to my friend, I have no recollection)...so I'm going to that same bar right now. DROP OUT!

if you ever notice on most applications for jobs all they ask is if you have completed the 8th grade. I got below a 2.0 in highschool because i really didnt care. I do fine in college but once again that shit is about to get put on hold so that i can start my own business in a few months. I may not be returning to college.

I went to a few art schools and checked them out. When they saw my grades they told me that i would need to attend 6 years of jr college before they would look at me again, regardless of how good my portfolio was.

If art is what you want to do, tighten your shit up. I fucked off pretty much my entire school career and just happend to be in the right place at the right time to get the opportunities that i have available to me now.

I'm a failed senior in highschool. I fucking suck at like 35% of the time. And that's just my grades alone.

Anyway, good grades > good SAT score.

I just found out the hardway son. Do some serious work, force yourself to get out of the fucking bed. You do not want to transfer from a community college. I mean, it's not a bad idea but... y'know. BUT a community college does save you money but you might miss out on some shit.

Keep it real,

-J.

Mar, not offhand... Do you mean the basics of furniture design or the basics of woodworking?

Are you familiar with most of the tools in a woodshop? That's really the first step, using everything without losing fingers... If you're there already I would suggest just kind of looking into people who did it well... I'm not much on schooling, I mean I have my AA degree and I'm not far from a BA but I left college in y2k (oops, shouldna did dat!)... anyway, I never went to art school and I was a graphic designer for 10 years and I never really got taught to work in a shop but by my Papa... still, when I had a little skill I turned to 'hero' types... and even though it's not directly tied to furniture making all the time, I think the guy I learned the most from was Roy Underhill. He hosted the Woodwrights Shop on PBS and wrote some kick ass books. Here's one that will instruct you if you're a beginner and enlighten you if you have some skills already... The Woodwright's Apprentice

underhill_apprentice_afloat.jpg

I'm seeing a TLC series.

The house that 12oz Built.

Smart builds the house

Mar builds the furniture

I build the lighting fixtures, wiring, faucets, and random industrial design shit.

Give the advertising to all the graphic designers. Everybody makes a buck. Except google oner. Fuck that guy.

Mar, not offhand... Do you mean the basics of furniture design or the basics of woodworking?

Are you familiar with most of the tools in a woodshop? That's really the first step, using everything without losing fingers... If you're there already I would suggest just kind of looking into people who did it well... I'm not much on schooling, I mean I have my AA degree and I'm not far from a BA but I left college in y2k (oops, shouldna did dat!)... anyway, I never went to art school and I was a graphic designer for 10 years and I never really got taught to work in a shop but by my Papa... still, when I had a little skill I turned to 'hero' types... and even though it's not directly tied to furniture making all the time, I think the guy I learned the most from was Roy Underhill. He hosted the Woodwrights Shop on PBS and wrote some kick ass books. Here's one that will instruct you if you're a beginner and enlighten you if you have some skills already... The Woodwright's Apprentice

underhill_apprentice_afloat.jpg

I have that same book i co sign it. I would like to get back into furniture building when i get some more tools. I built a wine rack for some one. It swivled. wicked.

seriously, earlier tonight I thought "we have all these minds on 12oz, how can we capitalize on that and all get rich off hollywood"... maybe it wasn't in quite those simple terms but that's the jist...

if this kid managed to make it on that boat he wouldn't have to worry about college...

I have that same book i co sign it. I would like to get back into furniture building when i get some more tools. I built a wine rack for some one. It swivled. wicked.

for real, dude is a bad ass dersigner from an engineering standpoint, he just makes stuff in a certain style but it's fully adaptable... and to think he makes it all without electricity is what makes him the God that he is... Bob Villa scrambles to eat this guys turds.

Oh and since I'm giving shout outs... I can't slip (though I did for a sec) on David Wetzel!!!

This very patient man taught me the easier/safer way to do EVERYTHING. But this isn't a guy you would have heard of, he's just a guy that taught woodshop at a school that I didn't attend down my street, appropriately named School St... Anyway, he left that job, opened his shop and built furniture and a horse drawn carriage out of a Buick car frame plus some wrought iron

(this enabled us all to go with him while searching out a useable forge... which we found twice. The first turned out to be kinda small and the fan was hand cranked so it wasn't really production worthy for the scroll work on the carriage so it was scrapped [read given to us kids] and David got another to do the carriage... meanwhile we made him deliver skill upon us in regards to an arc welder and hooked a bike frame to the small forge to power the fan, pedal crank instead of by hand... which led to so spectacular failures in the arenas of grappling hooks and a froe ((made from an automobile leafspring))... the froe failure also leading to the production breakdown on the dugout canoe project...)

Anyway, in a couple years David's wife had a babv, he moved the shop out to our side of town and hand built a 35 foot sail boat... which he sold... and moved to New Zealand. He's not anybody on the first page of Google Image returns or I'd post his picture...

to be blunt its all bad for you if you continue down the path you are on. sophomore and junior year are the only years that really matter for college. they take your weighted GPA's from those two years and average them. universities of california for example will not accept you if you have less than a 2.8 gpa.

i spent high school selling drugs doing many as well, in and out of jail, and reform school. luckily my photos are ill, and i learned how to spit the whole spill about jail and shit to admissions officers in my favor, and shit might be getting me into one of the east's best art schools. yeah basicly my advise is to smoke mad crack and fuck your life up and then when your like 2 years out of HS get good at something and fuck em in they assholes.

stay on my dick!

^Drunk^

like everyone else im gonna go ahead and talk about getting into college. i feel like college is just like any other position you would be applying for, you have to sell yourself. read a book or two on writing college entrance essays, it helps. one of my favorite essays i have ever written was an entrance essay to northwestern. i didnt get in, but thats cus i liked having a full spectrum of grades in highschool.

pay attention to how the general feel of college entrances are going. read a lot of us news reviews on schools and do research into what schools you feel are possible for you. once you have an idea of where you would like to go, you can then figure out exactly what you need to do to make yourself available and presentable to those schools. if a school is focused on engeneering, talk a lot about any science experiences youve had. if your required to submit a previous work from a class, present one which is relevant to the reason your applying to said school. a little patience and calm rationale will get you into a college in this country. there are so many. dont ever think you don't have options as far as continued education.

as far as grades are concerned, they matter. to an extent. you can compensate for not having great grades, but you better be good at it. i had horrible grades in highschool, tests saved my ass. along with teachers willing to let me do work on my own timetables, but i did a lot of other shit to compare. i was on the school's academic decathlon team (nerdlifeferreal), competing against other C students. there is no comparison, however, to being able to say to a college that you are a smart kid and that they can tell through looking at your grades. i wasn't able to do that, so i tried to make it work other ways.

all i had left to say was:

talk to your parents

getting them involved will help alleviate pressure and bring new resources to help you.

pull strings when you can

when i was applying to schools, if a teacher of mine was from a school i was applying to, I would have them write my specific letter of rec for that school. i also had a family friend that worked at my school's administration for a time, and wrote my letter of rec for the school i'm at now.

stay calm

just be patient and be logical with your choices and things will be ok. worrying about how things will get done or just the overall outcome of things doesn't help the process, just makes your life suck.

MAKE SURE YOUR FAFSA IS DONE CORRECTLY AND ON TIME

no one in this thread really talked about financial aid, but get acquainted with that quickly. do a little research into the process. what is necessary from your parents as far as tax information is concerned, or if your applying for aid on your own. this will be one of the most helpful things to understand and know when you are in college, it will keep you there and keep your after graduation costs low, eg managing school loans.

DO YOUR RESEARCH

i can't stress this enough. read some books, read online, and just talk to people about it. youll learn a lot if you just ask people things.

edit cus i remembered to add somethin...

i applied for fafsa once and they sent me a letter back saying in essence :"YOUR NOT POOR NO MONEY FOR YOU" thinking this was a mistake i went to my tax guy and he made sure all of my taxes were in order, i made absolutly sure i had no blanks or mistakes and i sent it in, thinking "okay they gotta send me finacial aid i live alone, and work. two weeks later i get a letter from fafsa saying in essence "YOU APPLIED BEFORE YOUR STILL NOT POOR NO MONEY FOR YOU" Fuck fafsa ever since then ive been paying for my own shit and i really shouldent have to.

yeah, a lot of schools have been adopting other evaluative options. such as princeton review's own financial aid supplement that i have to fill out every year. instead of being based on soley assets, as the outdated FAFSA structure is, it is based on assets and costs that arent possible to account for within FAFSA. Plus it is always possible to send a supplemental letter along with your financial aid application that lays out your own personal costs. Anything that shows how much money your school should give you to keep you there is clutch.

']i get good grades (im in high school) A's and B's

i do my homework.

i write.

i smoke pot.

i drink.

i still get good grades.

im going into an IB 2 year art course in 1 year (its basically an AP class) because graphic design is what i wanna do.

the problem is that i could also get into any other school for business or law or some other shit, this is not what i wanna do.

but i dont wanna go to art school to be some fucking loser who ends up with no job or a job that pays nothing.

so im thinking... get into SVA. minor in business and a foreign language. major in graphic design.

do that for a while... and study abroad for 1-2 years.

then go on to get a masters degree for design and a bachelors in business.

will this put me ahead enough to get into the graphic design field and be successful? or is art school still bull shit?

mind now... im planning to go to SVA...

sorry. just looking for an answer.

spyd's TIPS FOR HIGHSCHOOL KIDS:

1. Don't be an asshole: being funny is all well and good, but that shit won't get you into college (unless you're a Drama major or somthing). I was a clown and now look back on it with regret
  2. Do your fuckin homework. I'm the biggest slacker and never did homework in highschool. It's wack yeah, but do that shit anyways. Once you get to college, most "homework" is gone. Now it's just studying and taking like 3 exams that are worth 33.3 % of your grade or somthing
  3. High-school grades are only important for getting you into college: I didnt have the greatest gpa in highschool (2.8), but since I lack the amount of homework that I just didnt do in highschools, my grades are pretty good (3.5). So the moral of the story is, "Get into college and you can potentially do better than highschool"

Overall, I think college is easier than highschool

I FEEL IT!!!

i got caught up too much in the fun..being able to walk around the halls all day and hit on random chicks..leaving school one period to walk up to mcdonalds,smoke a couple bowls and then come right back..at one point my report card read-DDDUUUU

soo i ended up dropping out,i plan on going to community college but my best advice is to try your hardest and dont slack off.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
I FEEL IT!!!

Feel the same way too, now that I look back on it I could have done a lot better in highschool if I wasnt all stupid and trying to be cool. Highschool is easy as shit; do your work, show up, easy grade. College is almost the same just show up and do your work and you get an easy grade.