Dissections- gross but interesting

CinchedWaist

Have you guys ever dissected anything?

I have dissected:

a worm

2 fetal pigs

and most recently,

a cat.

When I had to dissect the pig (about 2 years ago) I almost cried b/c I really, really didn't want to do it. Now I am numb to those emotions.

One of the girls in my class opened up her cat and there were fetuses inside.

It made me feel pretty bad. Worse part of this whole ordeal.

Dissecting the brain and eyeball was pretty neat though. Interesting.

Now we are working on the heart/veins/arteries. Next is the digestive tract, but I don't like working in the stomach since there is an abundance of juices. The reproductive system should be interesting, too.

It was very morbid, around halloween we had the brain and eyeball quiz and all of the tables had brains and eyeballs scattered about with numbered pins in them.

After I get out of class, even though I wear gloves, my hands smell like formaldehyde. gross.

I am a vegetarian, so it is kind of strange, maybe even hypocritical that I find these labs interesting. When I'm working on the dissection I almost forget how disturbing this stuff would be to most people. It just doesn't really bother me anymore.

f25534bd.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hmm, where should i start?

adult rats

fetal pigs

3 cats (i was an A&P tutor)

sheep's eye

cow's eye

frog

fish and fish embryos

adult mice

fetal mice

and the worst, dissection of mouse embryos out of the womb for further experimentation.

perfusion is stupid ill.

you hook up their hearts to a pump after opening their chest cavity while they are on anasthesia, and pump them full of a fixative, like formaldhyde, so that i could them freeze the organs and cut em up.

haha chemical smell? you should smell my lab bench sometimes.

i burned my nostrils with TriZol this morning

oh yeah, i've been a vegetarian for more than a decade now

and in college, i worked my way through as a chef, and had to cook plenty of meat.

vegetarianism doesn't prevent me from doing what needs to be done, whether it's an experiment or making dinner.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

That shit is fucking awesome. I tried to get my best friend to sneak me into the dissection lab (humans) his first year of med school, I was super amped on seeing that shit in person. He fucking chickened out cause supposedly he could get in trouble. Gay.

My father has some fucking incredible dissection lab stories.

Wow.

I watched a programme on telly where they dissected humans. Prretty sick.

On another note, I was opn ogrish.com the other day looking at some shit, and I suddenly had a funny turn, I was shaking and shit and feeling like I was going to black out.

Maybe I am not as sick as I used to be. Maybe I am growing up. Wither way it was scary.

It was a video of them cutting down a spanish girl who had hung herself which really did me up in the end.

I skin, gut, and butcher sheep and goats on a somewhat regular basis...to eat.i have family that have livestock.I also know how to pluck and gut chicken and other fowl, and how to gut and clean fish and turtles out.

but I know alot folks,who hunt,fish and ranch.

i think i disected a frog once and a cow eye,I dont think i could do a human though.A bear, deer, or a small cow sure but man a human i dont know...?

I was supposed to dissect a frog in 9th grade but I felt shitty about it and refused. Instead I took the two scalpels and crucified it. One vertically through the back and into the rubber jawn to hold it standing up and one horizontally through the shoulder area. I don't know what I was thinking but I'm pretty sure I had some Slayer song from Reign in Blood or South of heaven stuck in my head. I got sent to the office.

Oh yeah...

You people are sick.

I've disected a ...

fetal pig: the point of the dissection was to understand about our (human) anotamy better. pig's resemble humans the most guts wise...

sheep heart: the point of this one was to get a visual understanding of the 4 chambered heart, 2 ventrical 2 atrium structure

cow eye: the point of this one was seeing the various layers of the eyeball, the optic nerve, vitreous humor, etc

dissections are fun!

edit:

I just remember I dissected a pregnant fish before too. It was just a small one, can't remember for the life of me what species though....

Originally posted by sarahyoulose@Dec 2 2005, 10:15 PM

a cows eyeball

sheeps heart

sheeps brain

fetal pig

a frog

a squid

a locust

a tape worm

an earthworm

a nematode

plants

and soon to be a rabbit/cat/pigeon in my vertebreate biology class next semester

whats the point of dissecting the nematodes\earthworms\tapeworms..?

I took a class that just touched on them critters

the most I ever got to do though was check em out

under a dissection microscope. One of them was cross sectioned now

that I think about it ... and thats about the best you can do for

a worm dissection I'd think ?

-adult rats

-fish

-sheep's eye

-cow's eye

-fetal pig

-pig heart

Did those in highschool - gave biology/sciences in general the big "fuck off" in university before I got the chance to slice'n'dice anything else.

Accounting, what? The only thing I'm dissecting now is financial statements.

Le sigh.

Originally posted by symbols@Dec 2 2005, 06:58 PM

hmm, where should i start?

adult rats

fetal pigs

3 cats (i was an A&P tutor)

sheep's eye

cow's eye

frog

fish and fish embryos

adult mice

fetal mice

and the worst, dissection of mouse embryos out of the womb for further experimentation.

perfusion is stupid ill.

you hook up their hearts to a pump after opening their chest cavity while they are on anasthesia, and pump them full of a fixative, like formaldhyde, so that i could them freeze the organs and cut em up.

perfusion is nuts... i had to do it with rats for brain slices. the weirdest part was cutting off the heads with garden shears and then taking apart the skulls to get the brains. its just odd holding the head of something that was living a few minutes ago. i guess its weird in general to be destroying something that took such care to develop.

in my old lab we did infusion studies with rabits which required harvesting the tissues as soon after the study as possible, which usually meant giving the pentobarb and then pretty much immediately going to work. that was pretty bad.