home invasion extra credit open response thread

injury

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out on a limb, I'll assume you're asking me.

I'm still reading through all the manuals but they are motion activated cameras that record onto what I'm guessing is a hard drive in the large black suitcase, the laptop is mainly used for reviewing footage, and setting the camera angles up correctly to capture what you need to. I have two cameras each with a 30m stretch from the base station, but it just looks like CAT5 cable, so I might be able to extend that (?).

The cameras themselves were originally designed for an automobile installation, but there's a bunch of different clamps/fasteners under that laptop so I can pretty much put them anywhere.

Without the key you cannot access the drive, without the access code you cannot open the cases, I am essentially James Bond at this point.

The person I acquired them from said there might still a bunch of footage on the drive, so I will be trying to drill that down to something interesting for the Oontz over the weekend. I'm a busy man. But if there's some good stuff I vow to post it.

Here is a pic from my fam's beach cottage in South African 'Dolphin Coast' where everyone has prolific knowledge of security systems. The the threat of crime and possibility of home invasion is inevitable. There was a rape/ murder of our tenants there 6 years ago. Every property has these spiked fences and electric wire. I have fond memories of hearing the 2000V 'pop' and 'snap' during the humid evenings.

DSCN0690.jpg

Out on a limb, I'll assume you're asking me.

I'm still reading through all the manuals but they are motion activated cameras that record onto what I'm guessing is a hard drive in the large black suitcase, the laptop is mainly used for reviewing footage, and setting the camera angles up correctly to capture what you need to. I have two cameras each with a 30m stretch from the base station, but it just looks like CAT5 cable, so I might be able to extend that (?).

The cameras themselves were originally designed for an automobile installation, but there's a bunch of different clamps/fasteners under that laptop so I can pretty much put them anywhere.

Without the key you cannot access the drive, without the access code you cannot open the cases, I am essentially James Bond at this point.

The person I acquired them from said there might still a bunch of footage on the drive, so I will be trying to drill that down to something interesting for the Oontz over the weekend. I'm a busy man. But if there's some good stuff I vow to post it.

you can definitely "extend" the cat5 cable. you can find cat5 coupler devices at radio shak, possibly home depot, but more likely you'll need a telephone or computer parts store to get the couplers. for video I would suggest not using couplers to extent the cabling as you will likely lose some fidelity in your signal. your other options are either buy a longer cat5 cable already pre-terminated (meaning, it has cable ends on it already). that option is expensive. or you could buy a cat5 crimpling tool and some cat5 cable ends and make your own cables to length. making cabling is easy. there are 8 pins in the cable. you line them up in the proper locations in the cable end, and squeeze down on the crimping tool. the tool is like a pair of pliers. should cost about 20-45 bucks. but that is likely to be about the same cost as a longer cable. if you buy the tools you need then the next time you want to make changes to your installation it will be much easier.

the last option is just to by a small ethernet switch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124416&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

and place it where your cable runs short, then get another cable and plug in to the switch headed out to where your monitoring device (camera or audio device) is located.

a somewhat more complex, but elegant solution would be to wire up your cameras to a centrally located wireless (N) router. get a wireless (N) card for your laptop, and access your video feeds from the laptop wireless connection. if you are hip to the geek shit. you can set up a remote client on your laptop and use your iphone or android device to monitor your system while you are out of the house, realtime.

sorry to geek out over here. just at work bored.

worth watching---

If your CCTV doesn't go like the top link, and you only have the video after your place has been robbed, the only thing police can go off of is the face of the person that robbed you... IF he didn't wear a mask.

And usually lazy ass cops won't put much effort into trying to find burglary suspects, unless a violent crime has happened

example of camera uselessness...

^ dude stole a blanket lol

protester i think the best part of that system is the steel nuclear weapon suitcase it comes in ... also why would someone want that shit on/in their car ...?

Haha, totally agree. I'm tempted to wander around town with the black one, as it has a chain attached to it.

Either way, I'm not looking for a concealed camera setup to 'catch' people, these are meant to be a visual deterrent. The vehicle idea is meant to be more 'hidden camera' I guess.

@VFOR: I'm setting up to get plates as well.

Either way, I'm not looking for a concealed camera setup to 'catch' people, these are meant to be a visual deterrent. The vehicle idea is meant to be more 'hidden camera' I guess.

@VFOR: I'm setting up to get plates as well.

The reason this dude^ was robbed like that is because the guys in the 300 thought he was a big time drug dealer.

Why did they think that?

Because of all the security shit around his house!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Archived