Photography experiments

qsysue

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy. Seems like you could do it with something a little less fragile than an egg!

Yea..pretty sure a bunch of stuff could work. Im probably too lazy to ever attempt this though.

Also..this is cool:

http://diyphotography.net/give-a-bulb-the-hot-cold-treatment-for-interesting-burning-bulb-shots

More shots here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clicnpic/sets/72157624626411715/with/5867870968/

I'm always putting the wrong film in cameras. I have a lot of cute little 127 cameras, and I'll often try 35mm film in them. (Or I did until I got my hands on some bulk rolls of 40mm film, which is the same size as 127.)

But here's an example. The camera I used:

1498241419_622ad9f13e.jpg

Results:

3846669599_ee5443ac74_z.jpg?zz=1

3846731789_944d32c937_z.jpg?zz=1

I think the light leaks are from me not taping up the frame number window well enough.

I actually really like these results, I need to use this camera some more.

When my Holga shutter died, I turned the camera into a pinhole. The pinhole is one that came with a Gakken plastic assemble-it-yourself camera that my brother sent me from Taiwan. The camera has trouble winding the film so I never use it.

I first tested it out with 35mm film (faceless me):

4599394852_56b946e951_z.jpg

Then tried some 120. It has a really sharp vignette.

Me playing a videogame (several minute exposure):

4618872880_a5cd5e3e35_z.jpg

On some rails (light leak along the top I later fixed):

4661965574_5feac74d93_z.jpg

Haven't used it in awhile, I should do so.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I've recently started developing color film at home--and slide film too. It's really fun. I just want to shoot slide all the time now. I finally got to do something I've always wanted to but didn't want to shell out the dough for--I cross-processed C41 film in E6 chemicals. Some results:

6896339911_9b0575ae92.jpg

6891397835_87b06d171f.jpg

6902845809_c3894976c5.jpg

The film was Fuji NPC 160 shot in a Canon AE-1 Program. Chemicals were an Arista kit.

• Like 1

i uploaded those with my phone and i hate typing on it!

this was my set up for the middle two shots

3.jpg

it took a while to figure out the shutter speed and also focusing was a little tricky.

for the first one i just used some food colouring and water and took lots of photos and that was the best looking splash i thought.

For the last one i was actually planning to roll the tangerine through water and capture that but it wasn't working out so i filled a metal tray with a little bit of water and just dropped it. i just find it fascinating to capture water in motion!

I love this thread, some really interesting things, and sorry for the big pictures!

• 4 months later...

Here is one of the caffenol negatives I posted after scanning..

Some minor fog and a bit over exposed. Shouldn't have been shooting directly into the sun.

Noticed that with the caffenol it is EXTREMELY delicate to developing time. I changed my time from 8min @ 70 degrees to 7min and it made a nice difference in how dense the negatives were.

<a href=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8002/7651277122_cc9f13af5d.jpg' alt='7651277122_cc9f13af5d.jpg'> WestendSmokeStack1 copy by Negative_Coffee, on Flickr[/img]

I haven't had much time lately for film experiments, but I'm moving to southern Utah soon, and I figure I'll be so bored I'll start doing some again. I'm planning to try some dry plate photography, and I'll probably do it in my Holga or my pinhole. Anyone tried it? Should be fun.

Here's another experiment I forgot to post about. Just simple "Holgarama" shots, where you don't quite wind the film far enough, so the frames overlap. I took these shots standing in the same spot and just rotating my angle of view about 45 degrees for each frame.

6869860171_b1e20b27ed.jpg

6860808163_be364c5a72.jpg

In that last frame, a piece of yarn I keep attached to my lens got in the shot (it was windy). Which reminds me of another fun Holga experiment...

Holga macros!

I don't have a picture of it, but you can get what's called a step-up ring that'll screw into your Holga lens. A step-up ring is an adapter than lets you attach filters that aren't the correct size for your lens. So with the right step up ring and some macro filters, you can take Holga macros. I'm using a 46mm-52mm step up ring, which allows me to put 52mm lens attachments on it.

I have a set of macro filters (don't remember where I picked them up) and I shot a test roll with different combinations of them on the camera to figure out what the focal distance would be, and which combination I liked best. Here's an example of one of the test shots:

5843524557_ec5e66a433.jpg

Those pieces of paper are attached to a ruler, so the focal distance is about 6 inches. I also included a note in the shot of which macro combo I was using so I'd know. (No. 2 & No. 4.)

I tied a piece of yarn around my lens that is 6 inches long. So when I use the macro filters, I stretch the yarn out and know what will be in focus. Here are a couple macro shots.

6274907760_45a22ce122.jpg

5842531566_03f38ccb70.jpg

5822823877_3b135bd34c.jpg

6355369169_ee24751e68.jpg

Yeah you should! The Holga is great for experimenting. I should add none of these ideas were original, my brother showed me the yarn trick.

I think after I move I'm gonna try dry plate photography in the Holga. Should be interesting. I'll either make my own emulsion or buy some, not sure yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I've moved to Utah and I'm pretty housebound by the heat. So I got bored and decided to try making my own macro lens just for fun. I used this web page as a guide:

http://www.diyphotography.net/build-your-own-lenses

Here are the parts I used:

7914112260_beece3125b.jpg

Right to left, basically:

I took a 2X tele converter, a Canon body cap that someone gave me to use as a pinhole (but the hole is pretty big, probably more than 1/8th inch wide), two close up macro filters that I put together so they'd be shaped like this (), a polarizer filter was in there too but I don't remember why, haha. Most of it was held together with masking tape (the kind that's not super sticky, like for painting use):

7914110030_99e834c810.jpg

7914108076_c788c215f6.jpg

Results:

7914105454_2b9ec15523.jpg

7914098230_70f311c965.jpg

The tricky part was getting the subject in focus. I had to move the camera to get it in focus, because I didn't have any way to move the lens closer or further from the camera body. And the viewfinder was kinda dark thanks to the small aperture. But I wanted to not have the glow you see in the examples from the how-to link.