MALT LIQUOR Appreciation/Hate Thread**

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So help an Aussie out here.

We don't have the term "malt liquor" back home and don't really get the concept. It's just beer above a certain alkyhole content, right?

IF so, why does all the malt liquor in the US seem to have a ghetto reputation? Are there any high end malt liquors?

We have a heap of high plonk content beers in Australia and a lot of them are pretty high qual beers.

So help an Aussie out here.

We don't have the term "malt liquor" back home and don't really get the concept. It's just beer above a certain alkyhole content, right?

IF so, why does all the malt liquor in the US seem to have a ghetto reputation? Are there any high end malt liquors?

We have a heap of high plonk content beers in Australia and a lot of them are pretty high qual beers.

According to wikipedia

Malt liquor is a North American term referring to a type of beer with high alcohol content. In legal statutes, the term often includes any alcoholic beverage above or equal to 5% alcohol by volume made with malted barley. In common parlance, however, it is used for high alcohol beers made with ingredients and processes resembling those in American-style lager. Malt liquor is distinguished from other beers of high alcohol content in that the brewing process is seen by many as targeting high alcohol content and economy rather than quality.

That being said North America has many beers that could be considered "malt liquor" but isnt associated with the ghetto

For example:

double-daddy.jpg

Its a micro brew that is 9.5% abv

http://wildecreative.com/Steel_Reserve_Beer/Rhino/rhino.jpg

Back in the day, I thought this was the funniest ad ever so it worked on me. It is about as low as I'll go.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/full_size/62620.jpg

Camo Black Ice is evil in a can. I've only tried one and had a hard time finishing it. $1.09 after tax for a 24 oz. I scraped my pockets to help out a needy drunk once and bought him 3. About an hour later I seen dude passed out on the sidewalk in the rain.