Your Art Thread

Hayabusa

• 3 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

wish i could edit the post.... So i bought a lathe a while back. had some downed cedar in the back. cedar has red/purple hearts to the wood. I think goes well with the random reds of pitfiring. it fits everything besides the square pot. still nice i thing

lid1.jpg

another

lid2g.jpg

another

lid3.jpg

• Like 1

that stuff is gorgeous. that last one especially awesome.

for sales?

yeah that last one goes well with the lid. I tried to cut the piece so that I would get the red heart of the cedar like that. The more I extend my toys in my studio the more I want to incorporate multiple elements to create a whole. Mix Media has always been something Ive liked. I got a small welder, a lathe, a kiln, and plenty of tools in between. My focus has become to try and find a blend of glass, wood, metal, clay, and anything else I might see fit.

Threw a leather hard cylinder of clay on the lathe today and made a small i guess what could be a candle holder....guess lathes arent just for wood.

But yes i will be selling them on etsy soon enough. Ive been wanting to get a bunch of things completed so that when I finally put things back on my etsy shop i have a good amount to look at which also makes my store look better. If youre really interested in that one then Ill PM you before I put it on etsy and mark it reserved. Ive sold what I have posted on etsy but it hasnt been much in the last year so i would like to keep my feedback coming back positive.

its funny cause I havent yet reached the point of mastering anything and I have begun to find myself very intrigued with metal working. Well i must say that i have always been intrigued with welding and i recently bought a lil flux core wire feed welder for shits and giggles. Im happy with what it can do with basic metals.

I stumbled across this guy on Youtube while cross checking a centrifugal casting arm I found on craigslist.

http://myfordboy.blogspot.co.uk/p/metalcasting-dvds-for-sale-following.html

thinking of duplicating his furnace idea but instead of using fire cement which is expensive I was going to use ceramic fiber blanket in place. The same concept is used for making DIY Raku Kilns that can reach 2500 degrees which is MORE than enough for base metals. My aim was to use it for glass to play around with but if I could cast simple metal things....WHY NOT!

Saw that chalk bored and I wasnt sure if I posted this. Did a quick bored for work. Nothing crazy but if paid for dinner lol

photo17vz.jpg&action=rotate

Im not a fan of those chalk markers at all, hate em. Some thought I shouldnt leave "cock" separated from "tail" but I found it necessary lol. First go around it was more bold...oh well

"

Mentioned making a foundry furnace a few posts up. Well I did it today. Nothing from it yet, but I got progress shots. Been trying to document as best as I can lately with the intent of eventually dumping it all onto a blog or something to keep me busy and to keep my productivity flowing out.

So all these guys make these furnaces using refractory cement, but I didnt feel like doing mine that way. The cement you have to wait to dry of course, but then you have to take it easy at first so you dont crack it. Plus you have to build a mould for it as well. I figured why go through the hassel of all that. Ceramic fiber is just as effective as refractory cement and it has a higher temp rating, 2300 degrees. It doesnt need to dry and you can get the flames roaring immediately. Not to mention if you get it thick enough it holds itself up, no mould or pour. So I bought 25 sq feet for 75 bucks. DOnt know why I went so big considering I used maybe 4 sq feet. Oh well Extra for when I need a bigger furnace. I actually plan on doing another for glass soon enough.

Pics!

i decapitated a propane tank for my furnace vessel

melt1s.jpg

need a port hole for your burner. I should of done a bigger diameter because my burner pipe was having a hard time with the oxygen and back pressure etc. Those who weld dont critique my welding, im a beginner, and all I have is a 90 amp flux core wire feed guy. its messy but hey it gets the job done and thats all I care about.

melt2x.jpg

the Kaowool. 2 inch thick 8# density 2300 degree tolerance. As you can see I used barely any.

melt4.jpg

break time. Time to lubricate the mind...

melt5.jpg

Finished product. I used some scrap to make the lid have a handle to swivel itself off the the side to get rid of having to pick it up and put it some where.

melt6.jpg

I guess I could of also made a crucible and what not but I went ahead and bough a small 40oz one with a pour handle etc. it didnt cost much.

melt7.jpg

This is the Reil Burner design. All hardware store stuff. Cheap. If anyone does this make sure you get black pipe, not galvanized. If galvanized get hot the coating burn off fumes are no bueno. If you cant find black steel parts you can always get the galv steel and drop it in some muratic acid, it will then eat off the zinc coating, then in baking soda water to neutralize the acid.

melt8.jpg

dark pic lol

melt9.jpg

the setup

melt10.jpg

fired up to make sure all is good.

melt12.jpg

Making some greensand for moulding. Play sand and bentonite clay. Some guy uses basic cat litter and grinds it down....not a bad idea but since I work with clay I have plenty of bentonite to go around. Not to mention when i found out that was an ingredient I was stoked to have something that I use in 3 different hobbies. Next go around Im going to buy sand blasting sand because its more fine of a sand.

melt14.jpg

all mixed up. it compresses and holds shape with a clean break.

melt15.jpg

some mould boxes

melt13.jpg

turned something simple on the lathe for the test pour shape.

melt16.jpg

halved for the moulds

melt17.jpg

both sides of the mould with the channels cut out.

melt18.jpg

first victims. Had a busted aluminum floor jack.

melt11.jpg

heated up slow

melt19.jpg

peeking in to see the slag at the top

melt20b.jpg

scooped off the slag to see some shiny molten aluminum

melt21.jpg

poured into the mould. was curious why the riser channel didnt flow out...found out why later lol

melt22.jpg

not perfect but no big. Im just happy to know I can melt some shit.

melt23.jpg

found out why the riser channel didnt flow out.....stupid me put the mould on backwards hahaha. oh well the first time cant be perfect.

melt24.jpg

• Like 1

Exquisite Corps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse

We are playing the same game. We just make jewelry.

Three smithy's/ Six finished pieces/ Two full rotations

Three metalsmiths are given a section of an article of jewelry to fabricate. One person make their part, then mail it to the second person where they add to it and then the third where it is finished. A price point on material is predetermined. The profit from the sale of jewelry is divided evenly. Recognition is given to all artists. Final composition of the piece is determined from a vote of the three.

A few examples:

7997868218_8f8c0306cd.jpg

7974791917_3307c90378.jpg

7974799650_fd31435ca6.jpg

29380_10151281067886963_1733663642_n.jpg