Your Art Thread

Hayabusa

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Nomaq solid as usual. Do you use a lot of pre mixed browns? Sometimes your skin tones look a bit lifeless, maybe put some thin layers of blues and greens in there for more depth.

34ns6yo.jpg

I've always liked the unplanned color combinations happening in my palette. Been thinking for a while about cutting my palette into pieces and reconstructing it into portrait or something. Then I saw those Matt Small paintings and got really into the idea. Though the painting above is done just with a palette knife and acrylic instead of "sculpting" it from old paint. Was first time using palette knife for me so i started a bit too thick on some areas.

• Like 1

i re-mix all my cheap walmart Apple Barrel and Folk Art acrylics lol.. not going for that hyper realistic look .. especially with acrylics and its not my style.. i like to keep my paintings busy so you cant really concentrate on one thing. like the skin tones lol . but of course other artists see the deference and i like to hear stuff like that makes me know im not painting like everyone else. feel me? ;o)

Yes yes good thing you're not going for hyper realism since I find that stuff extremely boring... Message boards aren't anyways the best places to explore small and nuanced stuff in paintings hah. Keep posting a lot!

Started stretching my own canvases today, really looking forward doing bigger paintings than what I'm currently doing. Need to start planning my works a bit more, though, since constantly fixing huge fucked up canvases gets pretty expensive in the long run.

enigmatic, always good to hear things like that. Bottom part was definitely a bit grey area for me. I started that piece mostly because i wanted to get more variation on my works and get rid off always doing so centered pieces. Finished the top and kinda left the bottom as it was and moved to next piece. Will definitely think about what you said.

I'm applying for this art school in a couple of weeks and I have to send there 1-5 works (any subject, any media, any size). I started wondering if there should be some clear thing to join together all the pieces or should there be as much variation as possible. For example, I'm not sure if sending the watercolor piece posted back on page 45 and some much larger scale, more painting looking acrylic portraits with that will look just messy or will it look like I'm open for new subjects and medias. I'm aiming for this kinda candid entity packed with mixed media pieces ( that sounded really art school fag to me).The little I've talked with professional painters/artists I've noticed that size is definitely an important factor. Go big or go home or whatever they say... So I'll try to focus on the bigger stuff since it sure will get more attention easily.

Nomaq, saw you talking about using acrylics instead of oils (couple pages back..). I tried using acrylics with my oil painting medium (1 part linseed oil, 2 parts turpentine) and it was almost like painting with oils. With water it might end up in some interesting stuff since it doesn't really stick to it. The result is really glossy though, so it probably needs some layering if going for more realistic stuff. Might be worth a try.

ps, went back couple of pages and saw some awesome stuff i had already forgot about. Definitely need to start reading this thread from the beginning again.

I'm applying for this art school in a couple of weeks and I have to send there 1-5 works (any subject, any media, any size). I started wondering if there should be some clear thing to join together all the pieces or should there be as much variation as possible.

The little I've talked with professional painters/artists I've noticed that size is definitely an important factor. Go big or go home or whatever they say... So I'll try to focus on the bigger stuff since it sure will get more attention easily.

You don't necessarily need to have a "theme" that joins the work together. You are going to want to send them your strongest work, whatever that may be. A self portrait is a super traditional staple of a student portfolio, so you may want to include one.

Bigger=Better is misleading, it might actually be detrimental to your work if you just rush into painting huge canvas's for the sake of scale. If you feel like you have a strong grasp of what makes up a good composition, you can make a smaller canvas feel more open. You should study cubism, not necessarily to recreate that aesthetic, but because of the principles of image making that were driving that movement forwards. Look at Matisse and Braque and Picasso's compositional choices. I mean you should really just read a lot in general, study everything, even if it seems totally irrelevant. Its important to understand art in an art historical context to move forwards with your own work.

And don't even stress it dude. Just work on your portfolio until you feel comfortable with what you are sending out. You'll get in man. A lot of schools have relatively high acceptance rates (meaning if you are halfway decent at holding a paintbrush you will get in) and high dropout rates (it almost feels like the first year is an endurance test, you'll be surprised how many students wont return after your first semester) Just out of curiosity, what school are you applying to, is it in the states?

(current student)

I like all of those dood. Smashed Tangerine that illustration is killer. Rolley, I feel like the top is too strong for the bottom, it makes it seem unresolved. I think you should bring in darker tones down there maybe. Something strong to pull it together.

thanks man.

and rolley, what he said about the acceptance/ dropout rate thing is 100% true. there's a lot of pussies that go to art skool for a semester and than drop out, but its totally worth it if you stick with it. i'm finishing up my BFA now and my work is 100000X better then when i started

I'm definitely trying to read and study as much as I can, even though it would seem irrelevant I try to absorb any useful information out of it. I always think that the "old masters" are masters for a reason and that they sure are worth studying. I was in this art high school, which basically means that there was a pretty nice selection of art classes, history, printmaking painting& drawing etc. I remember in every history class these manga girls are hating every single artist (except Mucha) and I'm like wtf do you really think drawings those wolves and gay couples kissing is cooler than this.

The school I'm applying to is one in Helsinki so there's a chance you've never heard of it : D I personally think that school kinda offers the tools for learning but what really matters is your own attitude and work ethic. Like, a lot of my friends were saying that the schools in Finland suck so they applied in some pretty expensive schools (they're free in Finland) in UK and Europe. And they are the type of people who never do anything art related unless it has to be done so I don't quite understand what they're looking for...

http://www.kuva.fi/en/ . The English website is a bit narrow but the application guide has all the info if you're interested. Applicants and acceptance rates on page 45. Seems quite brutal to me lol. I'll see how things go and try not to stress. Doesn't really matter if I get rejected since it's the kind of school where it's normal to apply more than once and i have no need to hurry.

where are you guys studying?

schismism, That's really nice, I first thought it was paper collage. Some of your stuff somehow reminded me of Josh Keyes' works.

ps, I got chosen for the 2nd part of applying for the school i mentioned before. Really stoked (and scared as well hah). Now I have a week to learn to draw.