R.I.P. Saber's L.A. river piece..

CALIgula

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats your first and main prob

u dont care enough

my job could someday save your life

and the lives of millions of people

but dont you worry your lil head about it

us union guys will just sit back and relax

in all fairness, you are making $31.65/hr with multiple future raises, so if your job description obligates you to save lives, i would hope that you follow through without worrying too much about outsider opinions. the reason people dont worry about the potential dangers that could be of your job not existing with their lil heads is because you are getting paid to worry about it, not them. unless youre the kind of freakishly kind person that worries about every strangers life story & their unappreciated struggles as you pass them on the street, youre as guilty of this ignorance as much as i am, except yours wouldnt be about unions like mine is

yes you struck a nerve with me

because i have dealt with non union cats like you

who generalize all union guys.

its always due to a strong lack of not understanding and a lil jealousy

the lack of understanding, im already guilty of as ive said before

im going to safely assume youre talking about wages when you mention jealousy, but its not that. im not going to front like i make more than you, i know there will always be someone else that makes more than the next person. the important thing for now is that things are going well & im happy enough. chasing money for the sake of money alone is a busted logic. if it really solved all problems like we are tricked daily into believing, no rich & famous person would have a single personal demon to deal with

you keep doing your thing

and when it come times for your boss to fire you from that non-union job

itll happen in the blink of an eye

were as for us we have the back up of our unions

here ya go just so you know im no spoutin lies

heres my union

IAMAW%2520Logo.gif

if i get fired, ill even let you know via PM, so you can feel good

you know youd like it

& you dont have to prove shit to me man. you hate me, but i can still appreciate that theres someone here that will passionately argue about something that means a lot to them (something that isnt about graffiti or whacked out theories of evolution)

Just about 99% of you will never make impact(in graffiti) like that piece did and it really shows.

dewd

i once even went TAGGING with teh Krinkz, doesnt that count for something?

you know that turns nobodies into legends because the stuff is made from the semen of the graffiti gods, right? its totally not a waste of 20 bucks

• Like 1

LOS ANGELES--Whether simple letters or elaborate, colorful designs, tagging--or graffiti--is considered vandalism and is getting a cover-up along some 100 miles of rivers, creeks, washes and channels of the Los Angeles County Drainage Area and Santa Ana River Basin. Crews from Corps of Engineers contractor BJD Resourcing are removing graffiti by water blasting rock-grouted surfaces. According to the project manager, the process helps keep the natural look of the surface.

"Other areas, where it’s a concrete wall or concrete embankment, we go ahead and cover it over with an approved paint, a waterway-safe paint," said Jeff Vaughn, project manager, BJD Resourcing.

A one-year, $837,000 contract, funded by the Recovery Act, was awarded to this small San Fernando business, to not only tackle a community nuisance, but give people jobs.

"Through this, we’ve brought on four crews; it’s given new employment to about eight personnel and it’s reorganized about three-to-four other personnel," said Vaughn.

BJD’s four crews, armed with two generator-powered sprayers and 135 gallons of paint each, cover a total of about 810-thousand square feet of concrete canvas per day. Not necessary to maintain channel function, the enhancement work reduces the amount of deferred maintenance within the Los Angeles District’s flood risk management program and improves the many projects in the area.

"People that live around and work in that community are proud to be there," said Kelly Howard, operations supervisor in the District’s asset management division. "With the graffiti and so forth—urban blight, basically—what we’re trying to do is clean up our assets and make them look presentable."

The initial clean-up of all areas is expected to be completed by December. The contractor will continue to monitor and paint over problem areas for the remainder of the year-long contract.

Cliff Notes: The state of California isn't actually paying for the cleanup. It's being done by a local independent contractor, who was hired by the US Army Corps of Engineers. The funding is coming from the National Recovery Act (federal money). They're not just rolling the Saber and the MTA; they're buffing a 100 mile stretch of the riverbed. They will be maintaining the buff Until September 1st of next year. And the whole thing is actually costing about $837,000.

Jeff Vaughn of BJD Resourcing refills a sprayer bucket with waterway-safe paint along the concrete embankment of the Los Angeles River Sept. 1. Crews use more than 500 gallons of paint per day to cover up graffiti within the Los Angeles District’s flood risk management program areas. (USACE photo by Jay Field)

3902391041_5d99bd7d86_o.jpg

3902391199_78a4ac97e6_o.jpg

Rene Valenzuela of BJD Resourcing spray paints over graffiti along the concrete embankment of the Los Angeles River near the intersection of the I-10 and I-5 freeways in downtown Los Angeles Sept. 1. Crews cover over about 810,000 square feet of concrete per day as part of a Recovery Act-funded contract. (USACE photo by Jay Field)

3902390875_b05a69cd07_o.jpg

I can't believe the amount of time and money they waste on the L.A. River. It's just fucking retarded, but a great political gimmick for those in office.

Right now the river is a straight burn. Buff and wait. Buff and wait. Law enforcement has that shit on lock so much that when a big name writer went back(after just being released) and put his name down, they knew the work was new and caught him at home with the paint still fresh on him..

whats the point of buffing it anyways?...to make it look nice?

it already looks shitty.

i mean you guys have all seen terminator 2.

Yeah, it was one of the few nice things about the LA River. The MTA is impressive but it's not a piece. I'm sure people are going to be planning some big moves for next year.

Unless you're from LA or have seen it in person, you have no idea how ugly the flood control system is.

Who wants to bet that they're going to start selling ad space on the banks of the LA River in the next couple of years?

Shai they're reading this don't give them any ideas....

Yeah props on that. 12 years is a long run for a piece. But not too surprising since the L.A. River never gets buffed (until now).

I first saw it in the summer of '98. Then I remember walking down there in Spring '99 to take flicks right after JA went over it, then put it on the net. As far as I knew, I was the first person to have the "JA/FOE over SABER" flicks up on the internet, until Paint My Face got it up.