R.I.P. Saber's L.A. river piece..

CALIgula

Estimates for graffiti cleanup are always grossly exaggerated. Originally, they were saying that they were going to powerwash the whole thing and collect all the runoff so it didn't get into the water supply or something, and I could see that being pretty expensive. But it sure looks like they just painted over it to me.

As for Saber's point of view... fuck it. It ran for about a decade, and made him one of the most famous writers in the world. It's always a shame when something dope gets buffed, but that's always been part of the game.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they said in the la times it was gonna cost 3 million to buff the mta. seriously. doesnt cali need money for teachers. 3 million down the drain

this is exactly what baffles me...

3 million? where do they come up with these outrageous ammounts of money

just to buff something...

okay pay the people buffing, paint, shipment, of paint, blah blah i was thinking at least 500,000-600,000 but no where near 3 million.

wtf?!?!?!?

The reason the buff job was quoted at $3 million? It's a "green" cleanup. To just roll it out, that would probably cost 10-20 grand. However, if you want to make headlines 10 grand is nowhere near as impressive as 3 million. And you want to make headlines because you want to get re-elected...it's all pretty obvious to me.

As far as SABER's piece, twelve years is a remarkable run especially for LA. In fact, I doubt there's anything running from 1997 in SF.

The reason the buff job was quoted at $3 million? It's a "green" cleanup. To just roll it out, that would probably cost 10-20 grand. However, if you want to make headlines 10 grand is nowhere near as impressive as 3 million. And you want to make headlines because you want to get re-elected...it's all pretty obvious to me.

As far as SABER's piece, twelve years is a remarkable run especially for LA. In fact, I doubt there's anything running from 1997 in SF.

yeah.

tahts what i was thinking, but then you become a conspiracy theorist:lol:

fuck a green movement i dont know how many times ive got to say it

The reason the buff job was quoted at $3 million? It's a "green" cleanup

i hear what youre saying about the election & all, but its like this pretty much anywhere. writers are always getting ridiculous fines for something they could buff on their own for less than a 10th of the fine

doesnt exactly have to be a "green" cleanup. you could hit a few clean pulldowns with a hundred layers of buff already on it & they could still say its costed thousands, though both parties know all it took was a union bum & a layer of bucket paint. all im sayin is no one should be surprised at this kind of billing in graffiti. somewhere else, a writer/taxpayer is being billed at a similiar unfair rate thats exponential from the actual cost (probably a municipal formula they have worked out for the billing per spot buffed), but people tend to bug out on big numbers like 3 million (this going back to the election & whatnot/understandable i guess, because 3 million is a big kick in the taxpayers nuts)

& all noise about sandblast/pressure washing on brick/concrete is a crock of shit to sucker people out of money, but thats a different story

whatever.. it rode while it rode.. props to saber for doing it twice.. but everything fades eventually... so fuck it..

its a complete waste of taxes.. but since when is buffing graffiti not a complete waste of taxes...

this pretty much sums it up.

one of the things that makes illegal public art (graffiti included) appealing is its impermanence. enjoy it while it lasts, document it, share it...it wont be here forever.

so by green cleanup do they sandblast it out and then vaccum up the dust? Still dont see how that would cost 3 million. Isnt there a kind of paint that seals in whatever is bad in the shit in the first place.

I wouldnt want to buff that shit noways. Talk about feeling shitty about your job

i hear what youre saying about the election & all, but its like this pretty much anywhere. writers are always getting ridiculous fines for something they could buff on their own for less than a 10th of the fine

doesnt exactly have to be a "green" cleanup. you could hit a few clean pulldowns with a hundred layers of buff already on it & they could still say its costed thousands, though both parties know all it took was a union bum & a layer of bucket paint. all im sayin is no one should be surprised at this kind of billing in graffiti. somewhere else, a writer/taxpayer is being billed at a similiar unfair rate thats exponential from the actual cost (probably a municipal formula they have worked out for the billing per spot buffed), but people tend to bug out on big numbers like 3 million (this going back to the election & whatnot/understandable i guess, because 3 million is a big kick in the taxpayers nuts)

& all noise about sandblast/pressure washing on brick/concrete is a crock of shit to sucker people out of money, but thats a different story

so union workers are bums huh

fuck off scab

• Like 1

3mil to buff the MTA? that seems a bit ridiculous

i think all they would have to do is get white and roller

inbetween the letters and over the 3d, but those

retards would prob roll over the entire thing with gray

just to waste more money. I personally dont understand

why they would even care about the river bank when

they could be spending the money more logically. I am

not sure but everyone is saying that cali is goin bankrupt

so it doesnt make much sense for them to spend money

on pointless shit like buffing graffiti...using tax payers

money on graff is stupid in the first place if its gonna

keep showing up over and over you may as well leave

it and buff it every 6 months or something instead of

every weekend. Save a shit ton more money.

this shit was bound to happen.i mean nothing in life lasts forever...and i think some people really thought that shit would last forever.the way i see it that huge buff is just a clean slate for some other up and comin writer to throw down some even hotter shit.all part of the game...but i do regret not being able to see it in person.whatever.