What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Just finished As I Lie Dying. Faulkner is kind of hard to read sometimes but I liked it. Starting Notes from the Underground tonight

faulkner is hard as fuck to read. i've started ten or so of his works and only finished a couple. so difficult to match his train of thoughts. as i lay dying was good for sure though

51WQRGTSJGL._SL500_.jpg

this is totally outside my norm (a gift from my brother who is working on his masters in erosion....) but its written well and is interesting, just not a page turner.

^^^ this. "Fifty Grand" is dope as shit. I've taught "Ten Indians" and "The Killers" a bunch of times and always love doing so. The former is heartbreaking in so many ways.... drink a bunch and read it again, esp if you're a sad drunk (like Hem was). "In Another Country" and "Hills Like White Elephants" are pretty damn good too.

If you dig on Hem, pick up The Nick Adams Stories. Even though it's a little flawed in terms of chronology and development of style, it's still loaded with really really good stories. Hem can get a little too 'masculine' in a lot of ways (see at least 55% of The Sun Also Rises), there's still a ton of gut-wrenching prose in there to balance it out.

/noenglishprofessor

in other news, I'm probably moving to the northwest so I'm re-reading Carver's poems:

all-us-raymond-carver-paperback-cover-art.jpg

^^^ this. "Fifty Grand" is dope as shit. I've taught "Ten Indians" and "The Killers" a bunch of times and always love doing so. The former is heartbreaking in so many ways.... drink a bunch and read it again, esp if you're a sad drunk (like Hem was). "In Another Country" and "Hills Like White Elephants" are pretty damn good too.

If you dig on Hem, pick up The Nick Adams Stories. Even though it's a little flawed in terms of chronology and development of style, it's still loaded with really really good stories. Hem can get a little too 'masculine' in a lot of ways (see at least 55% of The Sun Also Rises), there's still a ton of gut-wrenching prose in there to balance it out.

/noenglishprofessor

in other news, I'm probably moving to the northwest so I'm re-reading Carver's poems:

all-us-raymond-carver-paperback-cover-art.jpg

To be honest with you, when I get drunk I'm usually out doing things with people rather than reading... Sometimes I'll come home drunk and keep drinking then go out and get all raptag and wake up covered in leaves etc and be like wtf?! that and every now and again I'll have a couple glasses of wine by myself with a book or movie. But that's really it.

I agree though Hem is a masterful author who writes from a primarily masculine perspective. Some go as far as to say his work can be viewed as a study into the masculine condition, but that's all debatable. Either way his work is good and entertaining and what ever kind of stance you take academically or philosophically his writting certainly contributes something to what English Literature might teach a person about humanity.

Its good you try and teach his work well. Because it's taught in schools etc a lot of people end up thinking Hemingway is dry. I was lucky enough to never learn it in high school and how someone could find it boring I have no idea.... well they probably had some shitty teacher that made it more about deadlines and bullshit rather than bullfighting and being a man...that's how...if you don't do that, that's great and props.

A Dance With Dragons is the fifth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series...it's what A Game of Thrones on HBO was adapted from...among the best fantasy that's ever been written, very ambitious/sprawling with a bunch of interlocking characters and storylines.

NERD

word. just got through half of this at work today- ithink ive read it before... its a little familiar but i guess its a good thing to re read if i really dont remember how the book ends. but yea, really enjoying the vonnegut lately. someone was telling me to read dr kavorkian next

4981.jpg

word. just got through half of this at work today- ithink ive read it before... its a little familiar but i guess its a good thing to re read if i really dont remember how the book ends. but yea, really enjoying the vonnegut lately. someone was telling me to read dr kavorkian next

Slaughterhouse-Five.jpgbro

The drunken "can't find the steering wheel" scene is in my list of top 5 most hilarious passages... holy fuck do i cry with laughter at that.

• Like 1

i read parts of it while waiting for this girl to get ready, the 2nd part of this had me cracking up..

"I was lucky enough on this trip to interview none other than the late Adolf Hitler. I was gratified to learn that he now feels remorse for any actions of his, however indirectly, which might have had anything to do with the violent deaths suffered by thirty-five million people during World War II. He and his mistress Eva Braun, of course were among those casualties, along with four million other Germans, six million Jews, eighteen million citizens of the Soviet Union and so on.

“I paid my dues with everyone else,” he said.

It is his hope that a modest monument, possibly a stone cross, since he was a Christian, will be erected somewhere in his memory, possibly on the grounds of the United Nations Headquarters in New York. It should be incised, he said, with his name and dates 1889-1945. Underneath should be a two-word sentence in German: “Entschuldigen Sie.”

Roughly translated into English, this comes out, “I beg your pardon,” or “Excuse Me.”"

american_hardcore.gif

Grabbed this while on vacation. Great time killer, at the airport etc.

Kinda like reading a really big magazine with neat interviews.

Not the best book in the world, but I definitely recommend it if you're even slightly interested in the subject and weren't alive/tuned-in when this stuff was happening.

i read parts of it while waiting for this girl to get ready, the 2nd part of this had me cracking up..

prop'd

"Somewhere in there was an awful scene, with people expressing disgust for Billy and the woman, and Billy found himself out in his automobile, trying to find the steering wheel.

The main thing now was to find the steering wheel. At first, Billy windmilled his arms, hoping to find it by luck. When that didn't work, he became methodical, working in such a way that the wheel could not possibly escape him. He placed himself hard against the left-hand door, searched every square inch of the area before him. When he failed to find the wheel, he moved over six inches, and searched again. Amazingly, he was eventually hard against the right-hand door, without having found the wheel. He concluded that somebody had stolen it. This angered him as he passed out.

He was in the back seat of his car., which was why he couldn't find the steering wheel.

Now somebody was shaking Billy awake. Billy still felt drunk, was still angered by the stolen steering wheel."

Vonnegut+star.jpg

"I was lucky enough on this trip to interview none other than the late Adolf Hitler. I was gratified to learn that he now feels remorse for any actions of his, however indirectly, which might have had anything to do with the violent deaths suffered by thirty-five million people during World War II. He and his mistress Eva Braun, of course were among those casualties, along with four million other Germans, six million Jews, eighteen million citizens of the Soviet Union and so on.

“I paid my dues with everyone else,” he said.

It is his hope that a modest monument, possibly a stone cross, since he was a Christian, will be erected somewhere in his memory, possibly on the grounds of the United Nations Headquarters in New York. It should be incised, he said, with his name and dates 1889-1945. Underneath should be a two-word sentence in German: “Entschuldigen Sie.”

Roughly translated into English, this comes out, “I beg your pardon,” or “Excuse Me.”"

wait. am i high or is that an excerpt from mother night? hard to keep em straight. i read mother night first, then slaughter house 5, and was really confused when he started talking about some dude named howard campbell in the latter. dammit kurt.