Im starting a law firm

johndoe2008

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You realize starting your own business in a recession is probably the worst idea unless you specialize in foreclosures.

It's not such a bad idea. There's still lots of legal work out there.

If he's any good, he could be able to compete with the bigger firms by simply undercutting their prices.

In terms of overheads and ongoing costs, bigger firms need to keep their big buildings, admin girls, and BMWs running. He doesn't have all that to worry about.

Becoming an attorney is not a bad idea in any economy...even more so as lawyers are essentially recession-proof if not more busy during tough times.

I'm still curious as to what field John Doe plans to start a practice in, though.

You need to specialize this is a marketing tip. Niche markets. i dont know what type of town you live in big city small town, but i wouldn't spend a dime on a attorney that didnt have a focus on some specific type of field. Like IE Real estate attorney, Family Law, Criminal, Immigration, etc etc. Take into account your cultural and localized dynamics. Unless your going to be like one of these Lawyers i know that write letters for 100 bucks have a 50 dollar suit drive a 86 camry with ripped apart upholstery headliner pinned up with safety pins.

Shit you can specialize in a Niche market, get a Satellite or Shared office space and Hit up Craigslist daily with ads in the Services Dept. Copy your competitions ads do them better, and if there is one thing that will always set you up for success is service each and every client to the fullest even if it involves turning them down and turning down easy money. You would be surprised at the amount of referrals and life time clients come out of Honest advice.