The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_5418.thumb.JPG.010c53fc1d912b6319c7d79b399a72ce.JPG A really nice, traditional style English IPA with fuggle hops. First beer I've ever had that made sense to drink only lightly chilled (or warm by Australian standards).

Enjoyed this so much that I cancelled my plans for the evening, bought three more, built a fire in the backyard and pulled out a good book.

Oh yes, that's exactly what it is.

My Chinese is pretty bad these days but the piece was discussing the industry, whether the product is drinkable, etc.

I've seen bottles of JD in bars where the fluid is clear like vodka. I've drunk budweiser that was like beer cordial and I've had hangovers from the formaldehyde they use that almost put me in hospital. I fucking hate bootleggers like that and would dearly like to smash bricks into their heads. They do fake medicine and the lot. I've smoked a cigarette that burned my throat and when opening it up found that it was just shit like hair, carpet and god know what rolled up into paper.

There is a whole industry around fake booze in China (and likely elsewhere). It's a race between the big companies that come up with valves to stop the bottles from being refilled and the bootleggers finding a way to work around them. As soon as the latest valve tech comes out they need to come up with new tech to roll out when they defeat the current tech.

I don't mind that people bootleg but don't charge me for the authentic product.

I understood about every 2nd or 3rd word but pretty much got it as soon as they said "black water inside." This is a story from Taiwan warning not to buy products made in China because they can be fake. They said no one even knows what the workers are filling those cans with. I generally do not fuck with anything labeled Made in China if it's a food product, last thing I heard about was people using plastic in making noodles. Kind of fucked up if you think about someone eating plastic noodles, the noodles simmering and all that shit melting, fucking crazy. This is a fairly common news story there, different week different product. I don't think we would cal this bootlegging in the U.S., which more refers to illegally making a product. This is straight up fake product with a real label, a lot of it containing toxins and poison. I don't even drink beer made in China anymore, like Tsingtao, pretty much stick to Japanese and Taiwanese brands.

Side/related note, anyone drink Hitachino anymore? Great company before the tsunami/nuclear leak. I heard their brewery took some damage from the disaster, want to support them and still drink their beer but kind of nervous to drink something brewed with water from anywhere in that region.

• 2 weeks later...