The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tasted it, it was good.. it was a well made traditional IPA but I think it gets a lot of hype for what it is

Being that its so hard to get in Aus I think a lot of people put it on a pedestal.. I assume it'd probably be miles better fresh from the source rather than having travelled all thew way to Aus in unknown temp conditions like the one I tried too though

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

18 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

I've never had any Pliney the Elder, but everyone over here raves about it.

It is good. But a bit over hyped because it’s not as available as some others. If you get a chance to cop you should. There is also a Pliny the Younger that’s even more scarce that is the bomb. I’ve only ever seen the younger in kegs and our whole city will only get like two or three kegs in total. Those bars get one keg each and have lines out the door at open and the kegs are tapped same day. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:42 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

It is good. But a bit over hyped because it’s not as available as some others. If you get a chance to cop you should. There is also a Pliny the Younger that’s even more scarce that is the bomb. I’ve only ever seen the younger in kegs and our whole city will only get like two or three kegs in total. Those bars get one keg each and have lines out the door at open and the kegs are tapped same day. 

So, my cousin from l.a. is a huge ipa drinker... a few years ago pliny the elder was harder to come by in l.a. but he'd find it and drink it...i live in Sacramento which is close to Santa rosa where the Russian river brewery that makes pliny the elder is at.. so it's easy to come by out here... every time he's here he'll drink pliny... last time he came to sac, i even drove him to Santa rosa so he could try some of their other beers like blind pig... my cousin is 2 years older than me and more like a brother to me... I'd take a bullet for him in a heartbeat so to drive him out there was a no brainer

• Props 1

As we're out there, he asks the bartender when they make pliny the younger.. dude says it's only in production for one week sometime in February... my cousin tells me that younger is near impossible to come by in socal... even hard to come by in norcal... basically your best bet is to go to Santa rosa and get it straight from the brewery.... gotta charge my phone...to be continued..

• Props 1

Continued....

Around mid February my friend (who is a huge red wine snob) texts me and asks me if i want to go out to sonoma/napa valley with her next week because she's a member at a winery and needs to go pick up a few bottles that she's ordered and get a couple more bottles while she's there... she also says there are tons of really good restaurants and we can make a day out of it... so i had agreed to go...

After picking up her bottles and buying some more she wants to try a sister winery about 15 minutes away..as were driving there, were talking and Santa rosa comes up... and i mention how my cousin loved that i took him there for pliny and he'd love to get his hands on pliny the younger... then it hits me... maybe they have it on hand right now... so i check their website from my phone and pliny the younger is in fact in stock... instead of one week of selling it, they've expanded it to two weeks and it's the Saturday of the 2nd week... phone call...to be continued

• Props 1

continued...

and this is the first year that they are bottling pliny the younger...before it was just on tap....as luck/coincidence would have it we were close to Santa Rosa during a Saturday that they were selling it..we checked to see how far it was from where we were to Santa Rosa and it turns out we were 30 miles away....i asked her if she was down to make the drive (we took her car) and she said sure...so on our way there, i explained that my cousin's birthday had just passed about a month ago and i was too busy with my new job to send him anything or buy him anything..and that if i could get my hands on one bottle, that would make up for not getting him something...it was already around 1pm and I was afraid that we'd drive all the way out there and that theyd be out of it...she also proceeded to tell me about her brother in law who just had a brush with death, had to have emergency surgery and just spent the last 2 weeks in the hospital and he's a huge IPA fan, so she wanted to get him a bottle....so off we went.

we pulled up in Santa Rosa and the line was literally a few blocks long....she told me to jump in line while she went to park the car...so i did that...and went to the end of the line....i asked the "bros" in front of me how long they thought the wait would be...they told me that the lady who was coming around to stamp everyone's hand told them that from the spot that we were at, it would be a five hour wait....yes, a fucking 5 hour wait....so i called my friend and was like "fuck this...the wait is 5 hours, dont park, just come back and pick me up" and she was like "too late, i already parked and fed the meter for the next 2 hours" to which i was like, "are you sure you still wanna do this? are you down?" to which she said yes that she was.

• Props 2

fuck....im going long with this story.

so, i dont drink, and she doesnt really do beer....but the way they had it set up is you get a stamp for waiting in line (so nobody can cut the line) and when you get to the entrance, they give you a wristband to enter...the wristband had tabs the server could pull off...there were 4 tabs labeled 1,2,3,B.....1 for your first glass, 2 for your 2nd, 3 for your 3rd and B to get your two bottles to go (2 being the limit on the bottles you could buy)....2 bottles for $20 was the going price....so we waited...and waited...luckily, i had a long ass story to tell her so that took up the first hour...then we'd take turns waiting in line while the other would go and do things...i'd wait while she went to use the bathroom...she'd wait while i went to the sandwich shop and buy us some sandwiches to eat...i'd wait while she went to sit down on the bench...she'd wait since my stupid phone died and i went into barnes and nobles to look for a charger...etc etc...standing in line for a long time fucking sucks...but about 4 hours and 50 minutes later, we made it to the front and got our wristbands and got seated outside...the reason it took so long is because it was first come first serve and they were seating people and they were at capacity and wouldnt let people in until people left...but people that were seated were taking their fucking precious time.... it didnt have to be like this....but whatever.

we got inside, didn't want to order food...didnt even want drinks...just wanted the bottles and to be out...since we waited, i figured we'd get our 4 limit (2 for her and 2 for me)...she said she only wanted one for her brother in law..so i ended up with 3 bottles of pliny the younger...i didn't buy the charger at barnes and nobles cause $20 for a charger is fucking wack but since my phone was dead and i wanted to put my cousin up on the fact that i just waited 5 hours to get him beer, i borrowed her phone and called him from it....obviously he didnt recognize the sacramento number and so he didnt pick up...i left him a voicemail saying that id call him back and for him to pick up....which i did and he did...so i switched over to facetime and was like, love you man...and you know this man (christucker.gif) cause i just waited 5 hours to get you 2 bottles of pliny the younger...needless to say...he was hella happy about it....i wished him a happy birthday and told him he'd have to come up to Sacramento to drink it cause i aint mailing that shit and am not driving down to l.a. any time soon...so im just waiting on him to book a plane out to Sac so he can kick it over a weekend, drink is beer, and we can chill.

my friend gave her pliny to her brother in law and he shared it with his wife and said it was great beer.

and finally...the whole point of my story...if you guys have been doing the math, you know that we got 4 bottles total....1 went to my friend's brother in law...2 are spoken for..for my cousin...which leaves me with the 4th bottle:

$50 ...any takers?!

(i mean, you dont have to drive to santa rosa and wait 5 hours for it lol)

• Props 2

• 2 weeks later...