The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

subphoto.jpg

Don't know if you can see it clearly, but this is Ginga Kogen from Japan. This is their unfiltered brew and it's actually pretty good, but probably better bought if you go to Asia (that 10oz bottle is like $5 here).

Agreed on #9 and Dogfish. Like the Ithaca, also Pyramid from what I remember of it.

I'm working an event next Sunday for San Francisco Beer Week.

Gonna be the equivalent of a docent at a Beer Brunch. Featuring such beers as DogFH Festina Peche, Mate Veza Yerba Mate IPA, Moonlight Toast, Linden Street Burning Oak Black Lager and Triple Rock Keyser Soze Stout.

Festina Peche and the Mate Veza I could care less about, but whatevs. The Moonlight I've never had but heard great things about, the Black Lager is awesome and the Keyser Soze is going to be a stout above 14 percent.

All except the Dog Fish head are brewed locally. Moonlight doesn't even bottle only distributes kegs to select venues around the bay.

Yay for friends in the industry who hook me up. If you are around, its 40 bucks for the event come through, I'll be drunk.

Is anyone else going to events for Beer Week? If so, which ones?

People kept telling me this is fake beer because it didn't use a certain ingredient...tasted fine to me.

p1020630.jpg

Local beer from Fujizakura....tasty.

p1020787i.jpg

Heartland beer is great!

p1030158g.jpg

I was so happy to get my hands on this, a bit more watery than I remember. Def a beer for the tropics.

p1030342y.jpg

Export only Indonesian beer. Similar to Bintang.

p1030345r.jpg

Oh ya! That's why I hate drinking Bali Hai....odd sweet after taste.

p1030346r.jpg

Beer was nothing special yet extremely drinkable.

p1030636z.jpg

I'm working an event next Sunday for San Francisco Beer Week.

Gonna be the equivalent of a docent at a Beer Brunch. Featuring such beers as DogFH Festina Peche, Mate Veza Yerba Mate IPA, Moonlight Toast, Linden Street Burning Oak Black Lager and Triple Rock Keyser Soze Stout.

Festina Peche and the Mate Veza I could care less about, but whatevs. The Moonlight I've never had but heard great things about, the Black Lager is awesome and the Keyser Soze is going to be a stout above 14 percent.

All except the Dog Fish head are brewed locally. Moonlight doesn't even bottle only distributes kegs to select venues around the bay.

Yay for friends in the industry who hook me up. If you are around, its 40 bucks for the event come through, I'll be drunk.

Is anyone else going to events for Beer Week? If so, which ones?

Sounds rad, take flicks of the different brews.

not a big fan of sierra nevada. You know what gets me are winter brews. Im tired of all winter brews being the same ol cinnamon blah blah blah cherry blah blah blah. Anyone got some recommendations for this coming year? Im pretty well educated in beer so throw what ever at me.

One seasonal I had that I thought topped most last year was Lagunitas Brown Shugga.

The watermellon beer is made by 21st Amendment. It's supposed to be a wheat with a subtle watermelon flavor.

It's trash. As is Blue Moon.

Had a Pre-Event Meeting with the Host and Manager of the restaurant the brunch is at. We tasted the full menu with their respective beers (or in two cases, a beer of the same profile). It was awesome. I hadn't realized my pallet was as refined as it is until I sat with some industry folk and actually had an easier time pulling out notes and flavor profiles from the beers' and their pairings. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to the actual event.

This is the actual menu with pairings:

1. Bottomles Beermosas with Festina Peche and a spritz of orange juice

We tried this with both orange juice and pineapple juice. The PJ ended up making it too bright and acidic. It was almost like the Cuvee de Ranke that I have talked about a few times. Almost as sour as a Gueze. So they decided to temper that by using OJ. Much better choice. At first it felt like a glorified brass monkey but ended up being a wonderful cleanser for the pallet between each course. This was served in champagne flutes, naturally.

2. Crab Cakes with a mild Remalade -- Linden St. Burning Oak Black Lager

For this tasting we didn't have the Linden St. since they typically don't bottle their beers. We used a Shiner Black Lager (which while I do have love for shiner, this is not their best) and a prototype homebrew for Mata Veza. The guy who runs Mata Veza brought their black lager which was surprisingly good. It was a little stronger on the chocolate malt rather than getting some of those more smoky burnt flavors in the nose and mouth. However, with the crab cakes it was a nice match. The crab cake's saltiness complimented the viscosity and maltiness of the Lagers well. Finally, there was a piece of grapefruit with the crab cake that served not only to brighten up the dish visually but also provided a nice luminosity between the savory structure of the crab cake and the depth of the black lager.

3. Lemon Thyme and Roasted Shallot Custard with a Cubano Hash -- Mata Veza Yerba Mate IPA

This match was fucking delicious. I'm pretty skeptical of hippy dippy brewing bullshit like the Yerba Mate IPA, but I'll be damned if this didn't work exquisitely. The lemon thyme custard was something I never would have thought of making, but it was a wonderful match to the subtle tea notes in the IPA. One of the other guys there made the observation that while the Hash and the Custard are well spiced, they still tend to overpower the beer after the sip. Rather, that you take a sip of the beer and the flavors of the food leave, but the moment the sip is washed down the flavors and extremely subtle heat of the hash came back. This made me realize what this dish reminded me of; coming from Texas I have had many a mid day snack with a nice refreshing glass of Iced Tea. That's exactly what this pairing was. The lemon from the custard and the refreshing yet submissive notes of tea from the IPA made this a wonderful mid dish in the menu.

4. Sourdough French Toast with Beer based Syrup and Pecans -- Moonlight Toast

This was another Lager pairing, but it was wonderful. I wasn't looking forward to the french toast because I'm not a huge fan of sweet breakfast foods. A first sip of the Toast brought forth a fine nuttiness that was well suited to the bready creamy draught nature of it. After a bite of the french toast, the carmalization on the FT matched the burnt malt flavor of the lager perfectly. Even the pecans were present enough to play with the flavors of the beer. My only comment is that the syrup removed a lot of the flavor profile from the beer which was unfortunate, but not heavy enough to ruin the experience at all.

5. Chocolate Beignet -- Triple Rock Keyser Soze

This was really interesting, actually. This beer is going to be a 15% ABV Russian Imperial Stout, but it hasn't been debuted yet. So, we had to use a North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin. I've talked about that beer before, and I imagine most people who care in here have had it, so I'll save the general description. I think what was so intriguing about this pairing was how much better the beignet was than I expected it to be. I imagined it to be very rich and almost too thick and sweet for the beer, but it was nothing like that. Light, fluffy and crispy as a beignet should be. Since it was only garnished with confectioners sugar it helped a lot too. It allowed the sweetness of the beer to shine through while providing a nice texture against the heavy oil like viscosity of the RIS. Instead of having either a honey or some sort of other traditional syrup for the beignet the Beer acted in its stead. I initially thought that for the more robust Keyser Soze that will be served on Sunday they would want a sweeter beignet, but it makes less sense. For beers that average above 10 percent ABV they tend to have a bit of an alcohol hotness to their profiles. If you have a food that is too sweet paired with something like the Soze, it will neutralize all the sweetness in the beer and leave the drinker with only the hotness of the alcohol. So to mask the alcohol in an unaged stout at 15% it only makes sense to keep the pastry light and almost savory.

So that's it.

That's pretty much how I'm gonna break these things down to the participants on Sunday.

What yall think?

I'll get flicks on Sunday.

3 drink minimum:

bb_btl_16oz.jpg

May have posted this before, WI people know what's up. It comes from a place known as the brew city, needless to say, IMO anything with their name on the label is good to go.

Magic+Hat+Vinyl.do

This next. Skip this shit, I may very well take a Miller over it if given the choice. May as well have been brewed with vinyl.

glissade.png

Finishing w/ this. I can't bring myself to buy a 6pack of SN anymore & who cares when you can get a 24oz bottle of their shit. This was right on target, good way to finish the night.