Toshiba Resigns from Format War; Blu-ray Wins!

DETO

Toshiba Resigns from Format War; Blu-ray Wins!

bd.gif

Sources close to the situation state that Toshiba is expected announce at a press conference to be held at 5pm (local time) in Tokyo, Japan that they have ended their support of the HD DVD format. Toshiba will announce that effective immediately, production of HD DVD hardware, software, and authoring tools will cease, and that sales and support of existing products will end sometime in March.

As the main supporters of HD DVD, their resignation effectively ends the format war. Blu-ray has won.

Since Warner Brothers' announcement that they would exclusively support the Blu-ray format, rumors have been circulating that HD DVD's lagging sales and loss of studio support would force Toshiba to exit from the high definition format war. The weeks following were riddled with additional studios, retailers, and distributors announcing that they too would support Blu-ray exclusively, concluding with Wal-Mart's announcement last Friday that they would drop support of HD DVD in June.

This information should be considered a rumor until Toshiba makes the official announcement, but our sources have always proven accurate. Once the official announcement is released, we will update this post with any additional information.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh, but it is necessary. once you go blu, you'll never go back. i for one, being a huge dvd collector am having a hard time buying "regular" dvds anymore. the difference is amazing. (if you have the right equipment.) and the prices of the blu-ray disc are not that bad. you can get most new releases on sale for $24.00. amazon had quite a few great deals (buy one, get one free) lately.

i'm glad i didn't invest too much money in hddvd. i only have 13 hddvds and over 100 bd.

has anyone on 12oz made the jump to high def yet? if so, what have you chosen? hd dvd? blu ray? both? why did you choose one over the other? or neither? i have blu ray and am thinking about getting a hd dvd in the near future. even though i'm still kinda hesitant about picking one up, because i think blu ray is going to eventually win the new gen format war. and why can't there be more high def channels on dish (and tv in general), we only have 29 hd channels (on dish). after getting used to watching games and tv shows in hd, it's hard to go back to watching standard definition tv.

:cool: